Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2023, 09:03 AM   #1
himtaxguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15764
GPS Navigation Apps

What's the best GPS app for pulling my fiver? Is anyone using Co-Pilot? Any of them any good?

Thanks

himtaxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
While driving I use my old faithful Garmin660 RV + Google maps displayed on my dash screen thru Apple CarPlay. I have used RV Life app to plan trips and it worked well. I often have Waze going in the background with Apple CarPlay because I like the warning sounds it makes when speed limits change. If google maps had bridge clearance heights built in it would be my perfect map app.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:10 AM   #3
himtaxguy
Established Member

M.O.C. #15764
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you regarding google maps.
himtaxguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 08:13 AM   #4
cici
Established Member

M.O.C. #31797
I would like to know also a friend went from NY to California using it said no problem but that's one person
cici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
...While driving I use my old faithful Garmin660 RV...
Same here, mounted on the dash.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 06:09 PM   #6
Lee-CI
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30262
Up to date Rand McNally truckers atlas for me. Each state section lists the low overpasses for the state and which highways they are on. Otherwise Android Auto let's me know about construction, zones. I'm old fashioned for sure, but old habits die hard. Kept us out of predicaments so far.
Lee-CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 07:15 PM   #7
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
Garmin 770 with Google Maps backup when needed. Personally, I like not having to rely on my phone data for mapping and I do like the RV specific routing that Garmin provides. I also have Nav in my truck, but it's not RV specific either...but also works as a backup.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 06:12 AM   #8
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I use a Tom Tom, it's pretty stupid though. I've been fighting with it ever since I've had it. No matter what I've tried, no matter what setting it's on, it still want to take me down housing editions, around shopping malls, down back country roads with a thousand stop signs every mile. Or it takes me down interstates that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It's never taken me down the wrong road, or a low clearance bridge road, I just haven't figured it out yet. But I use it with my destination plugged in. When getting within the last 10 miles or so, it's priceless!

We also use Google Maps on our phones for comparision with Tom Tom. Most of the time, Google Maps will keep us on the road that make the most sense, no looking for those short cuts to trim off a mile or so, maybe a little longer distance, but maybe faster because it keeps us on main roads until we are ready to get on city streets and housing additions deliberately.

And then, before we start any trip driving a distance outside of our known range, I always map out the roads on a paper map. I have the Rand McNally Trucker's Road Atlas. I like this one because the print is a little bit more clear and bigger than the conventional Rand McNally Road Atlas. Plus it shows the truck routes.

We like to avoid interstates as much as possible. We'll take US highways and enjoy the back country a little more. US Highways will take us through small towns and past fuel stations that are off the interstate and usually anywhere from 10 cents to 50 cents or more cheaper than those found at major interstate cross roads, exchanges, and entrance ramps.

So, I always study a paper map first, write down the main roads we want to travel on paper and then use Tom Tom to watch what the road looks like ahead, it gives good warning for upcoming turns, and also gives warning for road construction and here recently, warning when entering speed traps. It started doing this. Must have happened at the last upgrade it did.

In order to do trip planning and not get get yourself into a jam, you need to use 2 or 3 mapping sources together. None of them are perfect. None can show if a tree has fallen across a road, or section of the road had a rock slide, or section of road may be flooded. It's always good too have a visual of the big picture and plan the course ahead of time. I like the Tom Tom because it shows the posted speed limit and the speed I am actually driving. It warns against speed traps, photo enforced speeding sections of road, road closures, time remaining to the destination, distance to the destination, and how far ahead is the next "event" occurring in the journey (a turn, a merge, stay left, stay right, etc).

Google maps, Bing maps, Tom Tom, Garmin, and any other electronic mapping program app are good programs for immediate, on the spot travel. But for actual trip planning, a paper map is still the best place to start.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:46 PM   #9
ACKLM8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25709
Generally been happy with Garmin 780 RV GPS, which comprehends the RV dimensions for planning purposes. Google Maps on the side when questions arise as they sometimes do.
ACKLM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:59 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by himtaxguy View Post
What's the best GPS app for pulling my fiver? Is anyone using Co-Pilot? Any of them any good?

Thanks
A Garmin RV specific unit. Also make sure fastest time and NOT shortest distance is selected.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 02:54 PM   #11
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Let me add my 2¢ worth. Without having to spend $$$ I use the free "Hammer" app for Android. You can add custom truck settings and the app will also show you truck stops and fuel prices. We couple this with our EFS fuel card for great diesel fuel savings.
Old 05-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #12
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Another 2 cents. I've been using my factory nav system in my last two trucks. Only took me down a weird road once and no low overpasses in the last 17 years.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 06:06 AM   #13
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
Yes, thanks for that reminder. My built-in nav doesn't auto update. It requires the purchase of software and installation.my last update cost $300 (three years ago). Should check with Ford see what options are available?
Old 05-29-2023, 09:29 AM   #14
catch up with the zzzz
Established Member

M.O.C. #23268
none of the gps apps or devices are infallible. That said when routes are planned ahead of time. I always check with the motor carriers atlas. Plastic pages can be drawn on and dry erased. This includes state laws and any weight restrictions.
catch up with the zzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 09:51 AM   #15
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2itcliff View Post
Yes, thanks for that reminder. My built-in nav doesn't auto update. It requires the purchase of software and installation.my last update cost $300 (three years ago). Should check with Ford see what options are available?
Wow !
My updated SD card cost $91.50 on 19 Nov 21
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:11 PM   #16
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
We had a Garmin RV660 before some nefarious person relieved us of it at 2:30 AM last August, along with the monitors for our backup camera and TST. We encountered a couple issues with it that has us doublechecking with Waze or Google maps or some other app to verify routing. We also have the Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas as a reference for low clearances. Be aware that if you tell Garmin your rig is 13'6" tall, it
will send you under a 13'6" bridge. That might work, but there would be no air left in our truck from the passenger gasping.
We replaced the RV660 with a RV795 and had no issues on our spring trip.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:28 PM   #17
GregoryL

M.O.C. #31877
We got our Montana High Country Sep 2022, it is a 2015 year but we just love it. So much sturdier and luxurious that the Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite we ha for 12 years.
This owners group is a great resource for getting answers and learning to deal with problems and solutions others have had.
Welcome and Safe travels.
GregoryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:19 PM   #18
Jay Merritt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #30834
Quote:
Originally Posted by himtaxguy View Post
Thanks
Yes, we have been using CoPilot for over a year. It basically routes us down truck routes. Yes, it works without cell internet or wifi. Yes, you can add RV dimensions to protect from low bridges. Only $29 per YEAR with free trial

Turn up the brightness on your phone to MAX. I have ours in landscape orientation like a real GPS. Plug the phone into a charger as the GPS and screen will consume more battery.

We also run Google Maps simultaneously on the same phone and display it on the Truck screen using Android Auto. This saves me from asking my dear wife to look up on Google Maps for a "second opinion"

AND we run an old TomTom because it gives a 40-mile advanced warning for rest areas. Very helpful in keeping the bladder in check.

Turn the voices on the nagavators OFF.

I love using the phone as a navigator so I don't have to rekey or sync the addresses with the GPS. I keep the addresses on Google Calendar. When I need to navigate, I just click the address and the phone asks which app should open it.

Fulltimer Domicile: Florida SKP Resort, Wauchula, Florida
2016 Montana 3611 RL Legacy - 2000w Solar, Victron whole house power, 1200ah Chins LiFePO4, RV Armor roof, Verizon 5G Home Internet
Jay Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote