Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Front Tripod

Couldn't find anything on the search bar.
Do you use a tripod under the hitch for support when set up or at what length or weight should one be used?
Does it help

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Tripod is better than nothing. More effective is the J T Stabilizer or one of its competitors. Best is the auto leveling systems like LevelUP or Big Foot, but they are pricey. I have had all three progressively on my Big Sky.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:17 PM   #3
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We were lucky, skipped the TriPod and JTs and went straight for the Level-up System
Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
sfish
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10234
Stiles is right But if you dont want to spend a lot of money on the leveling system the JTs are far superior to the tripod you just have to remember you have them before using your landing gear or you will be replacing fuses.
sfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We used a tripod the first year. It did help some with reducing the movement.
Then I installed JT Strongarm stabilizers. Night and day difference. Much better. Money well spent in my opinion.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:35 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Did not see any benefit with the tripod and sold it at a garage sale.JT's are much better and the level up system is better yet.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:10 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We used to use a tripod but didn't notice any appreciable difference with or without it. So I quit hauling it around and practically gave it away. Have the BigFoot system. In heavy winds we still know we're not in a house made of concrete!

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #8
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Do the newer Montana's have the drop frame in the front? Never payed attention. If they do I don't believe the JT's or similar are as helpful as they are on the non-drop frames. The legs are not as long and JT's seem to not really work in my case.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I had one tried it a few times never saw a difference. Besides I realized I had the TrailAir king pin box that was sitting on a shock absorber and air bag so how would that work with a tripod anyway. That extra weight in now in the storage shed trying to find some other use for it.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:43 AM   #10
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I have found over the years, all these gadgets are just eye candy. When we started this adventure I would see people with things like, king pin tri-pods, Roto/Chocks all types of items connected to the jacks etc. and would think must be a good thing this guy as one. I spent thousands of dollars and nothing would really work.. Take all that time to install and the end results didn't make that much difference. Gave lots of those gadgets away. I still believe there is no possible way to stop movement on a RV that sets on spring/tires and or a air ride suspension. You can use concrete blocks, wood shims like those used setting up a Mobile Home, but who wants to haul all those concrete blocks around.

We do have the level up system, which has the 6 Hydraulic jacks and have had the system on two 5th wheels. The level up system does take some movement out if you raise the tires up enough to take the weight off the suspension. The difference in the level up system and the old electric system is like night and day.

I no longer have to have the Roto/Choks, I only use a chok block when hooking up. My two chok blocks cost less than $20.00 from Tractor supply or most heavy truck shops and it takes about 10 seconds to install.

My set up time is less than 15 minutes including everything except the sewer hose which I normally connect the next day or so. Now when setting up all those gadgets it took much longer. I use quick connects on all water connections. But again for some I guess it helps. Happy Trails...

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:46 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Used one for a while and didn't feel any difference. Gave it away.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Kept putting more weight on mine trying to help movement. It finally broke. Not very good results. It did prevent me from walking into pin box. Don't waste your money IMHO. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
The tripod is not as good as the other systems, but it does help and is much cheaper. I help mine a little...after I get as tight as I can by hand, I hit the "up" switch for the landing gear a few times to add more weight to the tripod.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #14
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I would never go without the tripod. If used CORRECTLY, it provides a substantial difference. DW and I did not use it one weekend and wow, we vowed never to go with out it. It can also serve as a theft deterent. Well worth the money in my opinion!
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:14 AM   #15
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Couldn't find anything on the search bar.
Do you use a tripod under the hitch for support when set up or at what length or weight should one be used?
Does it help
Do NOT do as some have and put the lions share of the weight on the tripod from the landing gear. It is not designed to hold all or most of the weight. One will get more sway by doing that. I simply use the metal rod to turn crank it a few notches to "stabilize" the landing gear.
I have used mine on a previous 28 ft. SOB and now on the 39'Monty. Again, when used correctly, it will signifcantly help.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #16
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have one. I paid less than $100 and if I knew better I should have used the money for something better.

It does help, but only on the front end at the pin. Big deal, because it doesn't help the middle or the rear end. I should have spent about $300 (or less) and got the JT Stabilizers or SteadyFast (less hardware but same result) and stabilized the WHOLE rig.

Since the front pin is our bedroom and we are mostly sleeping, I feel it was money wasted because when we're asleep we don't care. Learn from our experiences and just spend your money right on a better system or if you are independently wealthy or have grandkids you can sell (just kidding) get the BigFoot or similar hydraulic system installed. Then you can not only stabilize the rig you can lift it for tire changes and maintenance.

Don't use the tripod unless you are only trying to prevent yourself from knocking your head on the pin. In that case it's cheaper and faster to wrap some padding around it.

If you tighten the tripod using the "switch" you run the risk of damaging the tripod or the hitch pin. How much is too much? It's just not worth the risk to me or else be very careful.

As far as length, mine is very adjustable. You'll find there's just not one setting since when at a campsite and it's not level front to back you'll be readjusting anyway. If the angle is high then you run the risk if it's too short and you can't get it under there, or if the angle is low then risk it's too long and you can't get it under there. You must also carry something to put under the legs because if it's on soft ground it will sink and you'll be rechecking it a lot.

Last thing, storage!!! It's a pain to store. I keep mine in the front storage area and it's wieldy and heavy enough to be a pain to retrieve and stow. If you got a full stabilizer system with its lightweight tubular structures, these are attached to the trailer with no stowing concerns and I wouldn't be surprised if their total weight wasn't the same as the weight of the single tripod. Obviously the fancy hydraulic ones are much heavier but the trade off would be what they can do and the convenience and ease it provides.

Can you tell I've been wishing for something other than my tripod? Going for cheap will get you wishing you hadn't. It didn't work for me. If you still go forth just know you'll be running into all the "aw craps" I've run into but at least you know it's coming.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #17
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Will never be without it. It is not ment to stabilize the unit but to stop the see saw effect. If you sit in the back and someone moves in the bedroom you bounce up and down. Depending on the size of the person it could be a little or a lot. I could be wrong.
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I still use my Roto-Choks because they are quick and easy to install and provide me with positive control of the rig when disconnecting/connecting.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 12:32 PM   #19
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
We are lucky as the very little movement we get doesn't bother us
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
I use a tripod when on my seasonal site, it helps with bounce some, but keeps the short people(grandkids) from running into kingpin. Like ols1932, I use rotochocks, it helps when hitching and unhitching.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote