Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2016, 06:02 AM   #21
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Hopefully after everything is fixed and working you will join the ranks of satisfied customers. PS I never said I never met an unhappy Montana owner.

F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #22
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
My guess is that the majority of fulltimers do not own a house or have a place called home other than their rv. The reason I do all of the work on our montana is that I live in it and can't afford to have someone else work on it and would have no place to live if a dealer was to do work on it. Whatever I fix I know has been fixed right and I don't charge myself labor. I don't shotgun a situation to find the root cause of an issue as clearly some dealerships seem to do. My list of issues was a full page of assembly errors, who knows what the dealer found before our full day pdi. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. John
Old 09-08-2016, 04:28 PM   #23
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Excellent points. I have the same perspective. I can whine, bitch , complain, badmouth, and waste time and loss of use of my rig, or as I have always done, ( except for expensive warranty issues) fix it myself and continue our travels down the road.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:58 PM   #24
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
2X that. Accept for major problems quit bitching about it and fix it yourself. If the AC is not right I get with the proper people have them tell you how to fix it and get it done. There is just no way I would let my reg sit at a dealers lot for 4, 5 or 6 months waiting for something to be fixed. Well except if the wheels fell off then maybe then. Then again knowing me I would have a flat bed truck take it to a wheel and tire shop and get it fixed. Then fight with Keystone all the while being able to use my rig. Small problems just fine them and got on with your life. JMHO
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Although we are not full timers since we chose to keep the S&B having the Montana at a dealer for a extended period is not a big problem for us.Having it at a dealer for a couple of days is a big deal for a full timer.

We spend 6 months in Florida during the winter so for that period of time we are full timers and have no other place to live. When we blow a tank, hot water heater, fridge in Florida our S&B is 1200 miles away. We spend at least 2 months of the summer on the road during the summer. We just came back from a 38 day trip so over the years we have lived in this thing 8 to 9 months of the year. That is a long way from a full timer but we have many of the same problems.

There was a time when I could do much of my own repairs but that time has passed and at 100.00 a hour labor it gets expensive.

We do a lot of miles over our interstate system at it beats the crap out of the Montana. we have got over 4K invested in IS suspension and Trailer saver BD3 hitch in a effort to reduce the stress on the Montana and it still gets the crap beat out of it.

When we run out of money or run this thing into the ground we will stop and go back to the S&B full time until then we are on the road and having fun. Eleven years and the wheels are still turning.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 02:50 AM   #26
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Well I guess if you all had told me my unit would take 5 months to fix due to Keystone not caring and not stocking parts I might not have taken it back to the selling dealer to fix the AC's and Roof leak or maybe I would not have bought one to begin with. Since I needed a window I do not think I could have made one. Cardboard and duck tape might have worked I guess.

You all must have lots of money to not use a warranty. After the warranty period I would never use a dealer.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:08 AM   #27
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Parts are not expensive for the montana, if you shop around for them. Paid $222 for new shower/tub base and new pins that hold in the upper tub surround as sourced from LaMesa RV. If I had taken monte to a dealer, it would have been there for at least a week to have everything pulled out of the bath and the new installed. And the labor would have been a quick thousand. I also noticed my tub drain was cracked and home depot had a metal bar sink drain for 20 or so. Three new windows that I replaced myself, less than 600. Water heater less than 400 from amazon. But I also don't have a house sucking me dry for repairs, taxes, etc and so costs for the rv pale in comparison. I fully understand folks wanting to hold dealers feet to the fire on a new rv...but pain to do so was not worth it to me when I would have had to go to alabama with the monte and live in a motel each time.

The great thing about the moc is that we get this big resource to help us understand a lot of things about our montana. Ozz gave me the insight on how to fix my blown out grey tank as one example. James is providing a whole lot of insight into the new cooling system that needs more engineering work it seems. A few others have/are living with the nightmare of the new electric levelup system. To all out there, fix what you can yourselves if you need to. Life is short. John
Old 09-09-2016, 06:34 AM   #28
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Supply chain management doesn't take into account that people might have an issue with their units, only what they need to build the units that dealers have purchased...so we fall into the cycle where the external vendor has to make additional of anything. Sometimes we luck out and the wait is shorter than other times. I needed three new windows, whick I got in about three weeks by sourcing them through lamesa rv. Mine had to be made as they are not the newer frameless design. Funny that you say cardboard and duct tape, james, as we were at an rv park in gallup new mexico when a sob pulls in next to us with a missing rear side window of the new type. They had plywood and duct tape to cover the opening. Somehow, I don't think the bugs are out of the new windows yet either. John
Old 09-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you have the tools, space , expertise to do your own repair work you will save large $$$$.Many of us including me do not.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote