Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2004, 02:54 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Weather Alert Monitors

Saw this morning's weather on the Weather Channel. Looked as if Kansas was really getting hammered so first and foreomost hope that Steve and Vicki and family are all okay. This did bring to mind a subject that may not have been discussed. Do most of you use emergency weather alert monitors? We have one that has served us really well--we use it at home and it goes with us whenever we travel. In the daytime it's handy if you are travelling without the radio on. Generally its best use for us is at night--we just set it for the local NOAA frequency and then sack out. If severe weather threatens the area and NOAA issues a warning it comes on and we wake up. Then we can decide if we need to batten the hatches and retract the sliders. Gives a lot of peace of mind (sometimes you DO get awakened and nothing really happens--but small price..). You must know what county you are in and what the nearest towns are for it to work properly. Probably would be great with a GPS set up (which is next on our list of big purchases ).

We have an Oregon Scientific All Hazards Emergency Alert Monitor bought at Camping World in 2001. Cost about $60.00. Money well spent as far as we are concerned. Don't know what the later models are but someone will surely come along with that info. Safe travels all!

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 04:31 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
We keep one in the trailer and one in the house just so we don't forget it. It has alerted us a couple of times and we decided to stay put until the storms moved on. It is a good idea to keep on onboard, alot of comfort for a little bit of money.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 11:53 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Many years ago, we had a small weather channel radio, and found that in many of the state parks and rural campgrounds we visited that it did not work. I am guessing from your coments here that they have been improved.

Have you ever been in a rural campground where you could not pick up any station close enough to have the unit function???

Glass Guy, you live just over the county line from us, we are in Lenawee, and if I remember my geography correctly, you are in Monroe.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 08:21 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the tip. I will put this item on my list of items to purchase. Happy rving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 02:13 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I have a small unit I use on the sailboat all the time. It also gives windspeed, temp, relative humidity, dew point, high/low temps, altitude and barometer readings. It has an audible warning if the barometer drops significantly to warn of an oncoming storm.
Handy unit. I carry it in the 5th when we are away.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 08:55 AM   #6
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
Great Idea! I have NOAA weather on the CB and use it when in tv, but that won't help much in the campground. Sounds like a small investment if it helps save my awning some day.

Thanks
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #7
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Countryguy or Carol yes we are just east of you in Monroe county, we are 300 feet west of Lambertville and 500 feet north of the state line, the weather radio we have works fine no mather were we are at. Nice to see someone so close being a member. Happy camping.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:45 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glass Guy,

Do you know where Walter J. Hayes State Park is, in the Irish Hills, we are about 4 miles from there. Wow, you sure you live in Michigan?? 500 feet north of the state line sure is not a lot!

Cheers,

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #9
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Carol I have heard of it but have not camped there, we camp alot at Harrison Lake in Fayette Oh. or Maumee Bay in Oregon both are Ohio state Parks and are very nice places to camp.Maybe will meet up at the campout in september.