Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2020, 05:00 AM   #41
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Not to get off subject but...I was looking at the snap pads and have heard of some coming off while travelling. Anyone had this problem?

RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:09 AM   #42
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The only thing I've heard of is people loseing the complete foot, snap-pad and all.
So good idea to check the bolt holding the foot to the ram. I've got over 45K miles on my Snap-pads and haven't moved.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:18 AM   #43
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
What is the purpose of using a pad or similar "thin" footing if not to reduce the amount of piston stroke? I see pads used where only a couple inches of jack extension is exposed.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:40 AM   #44
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
Not to get off subject but...I was looking at the snap pads and have heard of some coming off while travelling. Anyone had this problem?
My last 5er was traded with the Snap Pads still in place, no way was I going to try and get them off. I've heard zero complaints and really like mine, one of the 1st things purchased when the new trailer came home.

If ordering from the company let them know if you are a veteran for a discount.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #45
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
I understand using blocks in order to get auto leveling to work. Why do folks use blocks when the site is relatively level? Why add a step to setting up a camper when you don't have to?
The use of blocks spreads the footprint of whatever levelers over a larger area. If on asphalt will prevent damage to the asphalt, if on dirt will prevent digging in and if on concrete gives a little softness between the surfaces. Make note if you are using scissor rear stabilizer jacks the shorter the jacks are extended the more stable the unit is. I don't have pictures but I have constructed 2 x 12 x 3 high blocks using "gang" nails and some others from 4x4x8", 4 each 4x4x8 screwed together with long deck screws. Also I purchased from Habitat re-store drawer pull handles and put them on to make handling easier.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 05:55 AM   #46
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Thanks for the feedback on the Snap Pads. I've been waiting to pull the trigger on these. They are more expensive on Amazon than directly from the manufacturer. Thanks for the advice on veteran discount too!
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 06:44 AM   #47
vacationer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22355
I use 6x6 a foot long that my son had under his boat. Front and back where I can some times there to high so go with the 2x8. Nothing worse then it sending error code when levelling .
vacationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:03 PM   #48
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcNeal View Post
I knew of one person who lost one of his rear snap pads and figured he lost it hitting a dip coming out of a parking lot. The pad is about 1 1/4'' thick so some people raise there rear and sometimes middle pads up one notch. I have left mine like they were as i am pretty high in the back already. Before i installed mine i sprayed each pad top and bottom with flexseal and they look very nice if there is such a thing as good looking pads. At least my pads don't look rusty like they use to and the flexseal should keep it that way.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:43 PM   #49
dadnjesse
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #17519
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
That is like saying I pulled my 16000lb 5er with my 1/2 ton truck and nothing happened. All that says is it did not happen to you whereas many have reported significant issues with the Andersen Blocks, but I guess they are all lying?

I was just putting out there that there are significant complaints regarding the Andersen Blocks there are also favorable reviews which only means it has not happened to them (yet). The Andersen Blocks require a perfectly level and clean surface which is often not available which may be some of the failure issues.

With wood Blocks that is generally not an issue and you do not have to worry about collapse...

Look I use a Andersen Hitch I really like their products, but I am not willing to put my 5er on blocks that are having reported failures. At $44 a piece that is spendy for a plastic tub.
I searched google and couldn't find any bad reviews on the blocks. Where did you see those.
dadnjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:08 PM   #50
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Item B is handy - a Valterra waste valve with cap. I hated taking off the cap and catching a few drips of "honey" on my hands before I have the hose hooked up. The valve keeps all the honey from coming out. There are several good threads about these. I anchored mine with silicone tape to help keep it fixed and keep it on the rig. Here is a link to one...you can find them on amazon also.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Valterra/T50B.html

Item C is a Valterra RV hose carrier. The OEM carrier on my rig was only about 4' long and would barely hold one section of hose. I bought a longer carrier (in fact it was adjustable in length) and now I can easily hold two sections of hose. I took the OEM carrier and mounted it on the opposite side and still use it. I think it is called "Valterra® A04-5094BK - 50" to 94" Black Adjustable Hose Carrier".
interesting we have the same mods as far as the hose carrier and the extra valve.

Tony
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM   #51
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
Snap pads are nice ! it gives the jacks a bigger foot print, good investment.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #52
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Welcome!!...........installing boards under your jacks as suggested is one option.
Another option that we use is plastic standard stabilizer jack pads (ours are 8.25" square x 1 in and we use one for each jack. On a separate note we have compiled a list of items to make setting up camp faster and easier and added the list to our fifth wheel operating/maintenance manual. Of course, the forum can provide additional information on what they have done.
The wife can tell you I am OCD to the extreme. That's why I have 3 packs of those standard plastic blocks that stack together real neatly. But they do tend to be easier to store and you can wash/wipe them off easier.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #53
Charlie W
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23396
I just cut a down tree, cheap works very well, and I carry a couple 2 x 8 throw under the tires if needed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200407_081817.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	5953  
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #54
Ironhawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #25721
Does anybody use the Anderson Levelers to get your side to side level? I bought a set, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
Ironhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 11:07 PM   #55
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhawg View Post
Does anybody use the Anderson Levelers to get your side to side level? I bought a set, but haven't had a chance to use them yet.
Heavens no. I check to make sure no legs will be out of stroke and hit autolevel. I installed Snap Caps long ago and have not needed even a plastic block in years!
Old 06-10-2020, 05:58 AM   #56
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhawg View Post
I use them. Like them pretty well. Only time I have had issues is when the base we park on is not fairly firm. In Florida this winter the drive base was pretty loose. The leveler just kept digging into the base. In hind sight if I had to do it all over again I would have stayed with the interlocking plastic blocks. They weigh less, take up less room, and are just as stable. I did have to cut about 2 inches off the thin end of one of the Anderson's to get it between the wheels.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #57
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I use them. Like them pretty well. Only time I have had issues is when the base we park on is not fairly firm. In Florida this winter the drive base was pretty loose. The leveler just kept digging into the base. In hind sight if I had to do it all over again I would have stayed with the interlocking plastic blocks. They weigh less, take up less room, and are just as stable. I did have to cut about 2 inches off the thin end of one of the Anderson's to get it between the wheels.
This was my exact experience with my previous SOB. At a sandy site they are pretty much useless.
Now we have six point level up and sold the wedges at a garage sale. Pushing a button is so much nicer.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:09 AM   #58
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
Snap Caps! On 6 point level up there is rarely a problem ~~ in several years I've experienced none!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #59
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Snap Caps! On 6 point level up there is rarely a problem ~~ in several years I've experienced none!
I've got an 06. Had it since it was new. Putting level up on it would be like putting lip stick on a pig. Talk about a stranded investment.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #60
Ironhawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #25721
I had an issue with the Ground Control 3.0 lifting my tires off the ground the first time I used it. I ended up lowering the tires to the ground then got my carpenter level out and leveled it manually. Unfortunately we haven't had a chance to go out since due to the wife working and our camping reservations getting canceled due to Covid-19. After doing some reading I am thinking I need to take it out, level it as close as possible and recalibrate the system.
Ironhawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boards, leveling