Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 01-28-2008, 05:50 AM   #1
ChevRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7864
Stabilizer Axle Jacks

I have looked all over this forum for info about this, to no avail (probably just A.D.D.)From talking to folks, some swear by setting up with the stabilizer axle jacks and some swear against them. It also seems to me that Keystone says not to do this. My stick neighbor, who has long time and full timed for years and comes across as very knowledgable, has a King of The Road and swears by them. So on this first time out with our 08' 3500RL (newbies)we decided we could afford the $20 cost of the jacks to experiment. We have used them in some parks and not others, the difference is noticable but not sure it is worth it.

We set up with the jacks the way my KOTR neighbor said to:
1) Level the trailer from side to side
2) Chock the trailer wheels with expanding, locking chocks that go between the tires
3) Raise the trailer off the truck
4) With the trailer still raised up I carefully raise the front trailer axle, one side at a time, typically an inch or two, with my 2 ton floor jack just enough to get the jack stand with a piece of 2x between it and the axle placed as close to the U bolts as possible, then I tighten the screw on the jack stand by hand just enough to snug it in place
5) I retract my landing gear and extend my rear stabilizers to level the unit from front to back as usual

I suspect the issue about setting up this way is the added stress on the axle which is why I have refrained from raising it up very much. Heck, I would have to raise the axle higher to get the tire off the ground to change a tire, but I also would not be leaving it up like that for a week or more at a time.

Please share your experience and/or knowledge including how I might set up differently to get better results.

ChevRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:13 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've never done anything like that. I merely chock the wheels, raise the front end off the truck, move the truck then level front to back with front landing gear. Then I drop the rear stabilizers snugly, put the slides out and that's it. Sure there's a little side to side jiggle but after over seven years we don't even notice it--unless we get severe wind gusts.

I think you're doing a lot of work for nothing, unless you're set up for an extended period in one spot, like for six months or so.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you are referring to the jack-stand type of stabilizer jacks, we use them all the time. However, nothing like what you are doing. I level the rig after putting the expansion chocks between the tires. Then I place one set of stabilizer jacks on blocks behind the tires on the frame. I then place my other set of stabilizer jacks in front of the tires and in front of the door. This location is chosen to be directly under the stackable washer and dryer unit. This procedure has eliminated about 80-90% of the bounce from the unit. We are happy with it.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
ChevRock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7864
Thanks Bingo,
Yeah they are just ordinary jack stands with the screw type hieght adjustment at the top. I like the sound of how you set up. That provides an eight point system, and for me it would be nine due to my king pin stabilizer that I got because of the splendide in the bedroom.
ChevRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
ChevRock, Welcome to "The best darned forun on the internet". I had the JT stabilizers installed this week at Quartzsite and got rid of my king pin stabiizer. The JT's take 90% of side to side and front to back motion. Some up and down is still noticible but may be avoided by placing scissor or jack stands near wheels. After all we are sitting on rubber and air. I hesitate to use anything under frame......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have a brand new 08 Big Sky with the JT's. They work great and this a huge rig. I have a friend who has another Keystone product with a rear living/rear entry, and that thing sways terribly. He uses a tripod and it doesn't do squat. I almost have him talked into the JT's, he loves the way they steady the rig. I will never be without them again... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote