Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2023, 05:48 PM   #1
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
Smile Using the Victron GlobalLink 520 ...

Greetings everyone. I thought this would be a good place to post my results after installing the Victron GlobalLink 520 gateway solar monitor.

If you happen to have a Keystone unit that comes with the 400i and above, then your system might be like mine. If you've been considering a way to remote monitor your battery health and solar activity - this little unit just might be the ticket for you.

Why did I install it? Three reasons; wanting to remote monitor my battery health, determine the efficiency of the solar package and monitor the wet bay and inside coach temperatures.

What do you get with this unit? For $216 off Amazon (of course ...), this unit was pretty much plug-n-play for me. Connect to power (by-passing any shutoff switch), add VE.Direct cables to your Victron SmartSolar Charge controller and the Victron SmartShunt (purchase separately ), and connect them to the GlobalLink 520. Then stand back and get ready to be amazed!

The attached images show my current setup + a screen shot of the, free to use, VRM (Victron Remote Monitor) portal.

This unit updates every 15 min and then goes into a very very low power stand-by mode. It automatically tests for the best cellular connection from different carriers and then transmits it's data.

I added two Ruuvi Bluetooth sensors in both the water pump area and inside the coach. These sensors transmit seamlessly to your GlobalLink and can be monitored via the VRM portal.

If your looking to add some geeky fun to your system - have a look at the GlobalLink 520!

Feel free to shoot me any questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VRM Portal screencapture.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	14124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Montana Solar setup Large.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	14125  

Old 02-22-2023, 07:05 PM   #2
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by payneo View Post
Greetings everyone. I thought this would be a good place to post my results after installing the Victron GlobalLink 520 gateway solar monitor.

If you happen to have a Keystone unit that comes with the 400i and above, then your system might be like mine. If you've been considering a way to remote monitor your battery health and solar activity - this little unit just might be the ticket for you.

Why did I install it? Three reasons; wanting to remote monitor my battery health, determine the efficiency of the solar package and monitor the wet bay and inside coach temperatures.

What do you get with this unit? For $216 off Amazon (of course ...), this unit was pretty much plug-n-play for me. Connect to power (by-passing any shutoff switch), add VE.Direct cables to your Victron SmartSolar Charge controller and the Victron SmartShunt (purchase separately ), and connect them to the GlobalLink 520. Then stand back and get ready to be amazed!

The attached images show my current setup + a screen shot of the, free to use, VRM (Victron Remote Monitor) portal.

This unit updates every 15 min and then goes into a very very low power stand-by mode. It automatically tests for the best cellular connection from different carriers and then transmits it's data.

I added two Ruuvi Bluetooth sensors in both the water pump area and inside the coach. These sensors transmit seamlessly to your GlobalLink and can be monitored via the VRM portal.

If your looking to add some geeky fun to your system - have a look at the GlobalLink 520!

Feel free to shoot me any questions!
Good info! The install looks easy and your compartment looks exactly like mine! An another $216 investment....
Old 02-22-2023, 07:53 PM   #3
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
For sure Tony! All good stuff. I see you have the exact same rig as we do. Our sticker says it was completed on 6/2022.

Question for ya: Do you have a 4 watt draw on your batteries - even with the Inverter disconnect and Giggy box switch turned to the off position? I do. I discovered this using the Victron Connect app while standing outside the front storage bay. You can see a -0.24amp draw on the SmartShunt report.

I haven't figured it out yet ...
Old 02-22-2023, 10:42 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Payneo, I take it the Global 520 is a unit for smaller installs than the Cerbo GX? Does it also connect to the Mopeka propane sensors? We added the Cerbo GX at rally and used the TP Link Bluetooth dongle to connect two Mopeka Pro propane monitors to our Cerbo project. Using the VRM app widgets, I can now use solar and propane widgets to see my status anywhere. Some day I may upgrade the SeeLevel monitor and add it to the Cerbo Project. Hope they add Hughes Watchdog to VRM. Can you use the VRM app (not VictronConnect) to monitor the 520? If so, you can probably add widgets with it, also. Good luck with your install.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:39 AM   #5
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
Great question Rames14! Yes, the 520 seems to be for small installs. No, it does not show up in the VRM tab of the app. I was initially confused by this since the portal has the same name, however I eventually found info on Victron's website stating the VRM tab in the app is dedicated for GX hardware only. If the Mopeka can connect via BT then the VRM portal can display the metrics.

I considered the Cerbo, however it requires a gateway to get out to the internet. I don't have power to our trailer during storage, so I don't turn the gateway/hotspot on. This was an immediate show-stopper for my deployment if I had to use the Cerbo. The price of the 520 includes 5 yrs of free connection to the online VRM portal via LTE-M. There was nothing to configure. Also, this is for monitoring ONLY. You can't send changes downstream from their VRM portal.

I hope I answered your questions.

Cheers!
Old 02-23-2023, 07:46 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Nice description of the difference. That surely would help folks with their campers in storage. The fact that you don’t need a gateway is a game changer. We have ours 5 feet from the house and have deployed StarLink for RV. Running two Eero systems, one on our home DSL and one off our StarLink. For many years we lived in the Midwest and had to store the RV, so I can empathize with you.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 08:45 AM   #7
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by payneo View Post
For sure Tony! All good stuff. I see you have the exact same rig as we do. Our sticker says it was completed on 6/2022.

Question for ya: Do you have a 4 watt draw on your batteries - even with the Inverter disconnect and Giggy box switch turned to the off position? I do. I discovered this using the Victron Connect app while standing outside the front storage bay. You can see a -0.24amp draw on the SmartShunt report.

I haven't figured it out yet ...
I remember the discussion earlier. I haven't tested it but the app is measuring a draw. My guess it's showing the batteries pulling a slight charge from the solar panels. The only way to shut off the solar is in the app. Try disabling the solar charger in the app and measure the draw using a MM directly at the batteries afterwards.
Old 02-25-2023, 07:55 PM   #8
payneo
Established Member

M.O.C. #32171
Thanks! I'll have a look at that. I'm adding a breaker between the MPPT and Panels this week.

Tags
globallink, solar, solarflex 400i, ve.direct, victron