Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 05:15 AM   #1
mattf
Established Member

M.O.C. #22665
Window & water pump questions

We have a 2019 3121RL and I have a few questions regarding the framed windows in the slide out end walls, and the water pump. When looking at the windows from the outside several of them have a noticeable gasket between the frame and the exterior wall. With the other two it’s very hard to tell, but we haven’t had any water leak issues that I’m aware of. None of these windows have any caulk around them. Is caulking something that should be run around the frames of these windows as a precaution, and if so should it be run around all four sides, or just the sides and top, leaving the bottom alone so that any water that may get around the window can escape?
With the water pump, whenever we use the pump to shower or wash dishes it never shuts off, runs continually. Shouldn’t the pump cycle on and off like the one in our motorhome did, or is a pressure tank the only way to help with the issue? Also, any ideas on how to mount the pump to quiet the thing when it runs would be appreciated. Thanks!

mattf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:38 AM   #2
rksolid
Established Member

M.O.C. #26214
No sure on the window issue, but our pump runs constantly when showering or running. It could be possible your motorhome has some type of pressure tank system.
rksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #3
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The window frame drains are the two slits at the bottom (see pic). If you caulk the perimeter of the frame to the fiberglass you will not plug up the window drains. I am guessing that the reason you are seeing portions of the gasket sticking out from the frame is due to a sloppy install. Your unit being a 2019 - I would be surprised if you need to re-caulk the perimeter this year...maybe if the unit has been in an extreme environment with lots of heat and sun. When you do recaulk the frame you could clean up/cut off/ scrape the excess gasket (squeezed out from beneath the frame) then caulk the perimeter.

Montanas do not have an air tank to store air under pressure, so any demand for pressurized water will kick the pump on - and the pump will run continuously until you turn off the water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-06-12_6-56-25.png
Views:	53
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	6553  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:39 AM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I carefully removed the excess putty from around our windows and caulked around them with black silicon. Probably not necessary but it looks better and I'm sure it is sealed better.

If you want your pump to cycle on and off, you will have to install a small pressure/accumulator tank. Shuflo makes one.

If you want to quiet down the pump, you have to install flex lines from the pump to its first connection point. I did this and also unmounted it, and placed it on a bed of insulation and covered with insulation. It seams to quiet it down a lot.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
The water pump is a demand pump. It has a pressure switch. When you open a faucet the drop in supply line pressure cause the pump to come on. It will run until you close the faucet. After you close the faucet it will keep running for a second or two until the pressure in the supply lines builds up to trip the switch.
Now if your pump is cycling on and off every so often without anyone using the water, like during the night, means you have a small leak some where in your supply line.

IMO, From a strictly cosmetic stand point I like the look of the framed windows better than the newer frameless windows. To me the frameless windows stick out and look like they are just stuck to the side of the RV....
Old 06-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
You are exactly correct the new frameless windows are just stuck into the hole, but there is the metal trim inside that screws into the window frame. And instead of the sticky black gasket there is a rubber gasket with peel-and-stick that sticks to the inside of the window flange and provides a good seal once the screws are installed from the inside.
Went through this having to replace a shattered bedroom window. Actually a very easy install with two people, one outside and one inside.
Old 06-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
I put in a Remco variable speed water pump on sound deadening material and flexible hoses. Under low demand the pump runs slow and quiet. Under high demand it maintains enough gpm flow to make you think you hooked up to city supply. I did this because some parks have pitiful pressure but we can run from our own water supply.
Old 06-12-2020, 03:53 PM   #8
Desert Rat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24985
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
With the water pump, whenever we use the pump to shower or wash dishes it never shuts off, runs continually. Shouldn’t the pump cycle on and off like the one in our motorhome did, or is a pressure tank the only way to help with the issue? Also, any ideas on how to mount the pump to quiet the thing when it runs would be appreciated. Thanks!

With my trailer, to fill my water tank I need to turn the selector valve to the water fill position and when the tank is full shut off the water and turn the selector valve to the city water position. Did you leave your selector valve turned to the water fill position? On my trailer if I leave the selector valve to the water fill position the pump runs all the time unless I turn it off.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:33 PM   #9
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If you want to quiet down the pump, you have to install flex lines from the pump to its first connection point. I did this and also unmounted it, and placed it on a bed of insulation and covered with insulation. It seams to quiet it down a lot.
Just curious..... what type of flex line did you use?
Old 06-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #10
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattf View Post
We have a 2019 3121RL and I have a few questions regarding the framed windows in the slide out end walls, and the water pump. When looking at the windows from the outside several of them have a noticeable gasket between the frame and the exterior wall. With the other two it’s very hard to tell, but we haven’t had any water leak issues that I’m aware of. None of these windows have any caulk around them. Is caulking something that should be run around the frames of these windows as a precaution, and if so should it be run around all four sides, or just the sides and top, leaving the bottom alone so that any water that may get around the window can escape?
If you do caulk, do NOT use silicon, use an RV specific product like Geocell. Unless you add a pressure tank or own a very high end unit, the pump will run continuously.
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:56 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee_Dub View Post
Just curious..... what type of flex line did you use?
There are a couple brands of flex lines out there. Google "flex lines" and they will show up. Typically they look like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-59.../dp/B000WN5F96

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
Fisher

M.O.C. #26890
Water Pump - Keep it on or Not?

We have a 2019 Montana 3721 and are using the fresh water tank for the first time. Should we turn the water pump on when using the water and off when not? Or is it best to just turn it on and let it engage when we turn the water on?
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
We have a 2019 Montana 3721 and are using the fresh water tank for the first time. Should we turn the water pump on when using the water and off when not? Or is it best to just turn it on and let it engage when we turn the water on?
Turn it on and leave it on. If I am going to be away from the rig for an extended time I turn the pump off. If I am using city water from a campsite I also turn it off if I am away for awhile.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #14
Fisher

M.O.C. #26890
Thank you very much for your reply.
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you still are having problems with the pump not sutting off, take the basement wall off and tighten the connections both on the pump and on the convienence center. The suction side of the pump would be what I would check first.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #16
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have found that when the pump is running a long time when first turned on, open a cold water faucet in bathroom or kitchen until water comes out with air sputtering. I think there is often air in the lines and they act as a cushion and the pressure doesn't build up very well so the pump keeps running.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
Snowwolfe
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26974
If you decide to caulk the windows here is a trick I learned with my first Motorhome.
Spend a few minutes applying blue painters tape around the window where you don’t want the caulk to reach. This allows you to go back and smooth out an area with your finger without smearing the caulk all over the place.
Snowwolfe is offline   Reply With Quote