Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Slide making noise,now stopped working

Hi everybody. I'm usually a guy who can figure things out and pretty handy and do my own repairs on the house or the fifth wheel and with help from You-Tube LOL. My issue is i have a 2016 3791rd rear elevated living room. My issue is today went to open all the slides just to check on it. So went to open the living room slides and the one on the entry door side would not open. Its was making a popping noise on the way going out real slow so i stopped to bring it back in and same noise. So tried it again and made the noise trying to go out but no more movement. Tried You-Tubing but not much on doing the repair except one guy changed out the gear box and im thinking that's my issue to but not sure were to start taking tentsion off the cables to get the two chains off to check out the gear box. From a few video's i watched this is a common problem with the gear boxes with the BAL- Accu Slide system. Has anybody replaced there gear box them selves and what is the steps to remove the two gear chains. The guy loosened the cables and marked them all to reinstall the new gear box then tightened them back were they were. But a guy commented on the guys video ,said that he only had to loosen the the cables on the black bracket ones. So looking for any help from you all. Also the way that guy did his gear box it did work,but it just seemed i think would be a easier way but maybe not. Thanks Chuck.

Md.FireFighter 3791RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is a link to get info on your system. You should have at least a couple years of warranty on those slide mechanisms.

http://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/manuals/index.shtml
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Gearbox is toast I suspect, I changed out the same one this past summer. If you are going to do it yourself ensure you mark the chains exactly where they go on the gear box. Also ensure you put a support outside to hold up the slide when you have it extended to get at the gearbox. Not a difficult job but without those two tips its a real pain in the rear.

They need to source the gearbox's from somewhere other than China..... They fixed the issue of the spring shaft breaking and now they chew up the gears... they are made of white metal....
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:21 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I thought the Montana’s all had hydraulic main slides and cable slides up front for the bedroom. If so you have hydraulic slides in the main camper area. Look on the outside or over the top of the slide. If it’s hydraulic there is no gear box.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #5
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
He indicated it is a 3791 which has a bedroom slide (cable) two main kitchen/dining opposed slides (hydraulic) and two raised living room slides opposed (both cable driven)...

As I indicated I have the 3790RD which is same trailer basically other than fridge is RV vs Res... I replaced exact same gear box this past summer and there have been several others that have had same issues. Gear box's are pieces of crap......
Old 11-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Send a message via AIM to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via MSN to Md.FireFighter 3791RD Send a message via Yahoo to Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Two rear living room slides and bedroom are cable. Kitchen and dinette are hydraulic
Old 11-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #7
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Bought it in May from a Used RV lot in PA. The guy goes to auctions and buys RV,s. This one he told me was a Repo and went to auction. It was spotless could tell hardly used. Bottom line, buy as is,this is my first issue ,only used it 5 times now winterized until spring.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
It is a BAL Gearbox # R25076, I have a link somewhere to them. I think they run around $150 or so if I remember correctly.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Thanks. It sounds like the gearbox has stripped a gear. Speedster100 has changed his and knows how.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
Here is the link..... http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-r2507...-gear-box.html
Old 11-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
Slide out is in wont go out now so cant support from outside. The video i watch the guy marked the chain,s,but loosened all the cables on both sides and marked how many turns on each cable but a guy commented on the video he only needed to do the black sliding brackets kinda looks like a turn buckle to get chains off. How did you get your chains off?
Old 11-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
It will go out if you push it while having someone operate the out switch, You do need to loosen the cables but only on the chains, just mark the chains on each side of each of the gears. The Valance has screws in it that will allow you to take it off and get at the mechanism easily. You will need a pneumatic brad nailer to put the centre piece back on properly. Pretty straight forward, just get it pushed out then support it so it wont sag or move once the chains come off. There are adjustment screws on the chains that you back off mark them as well so you are close when you get the chains back on the new gearbox. Should take you about 3hrs or so total... Several others on this site have done them... Dealer can do it also but they charge around a $100 an hour and will take about same time ......
Old 11-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #13
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
http://www.dyersonline.com/bal-r2507...-gear-box.html
Old 11-06-2017, 07:09 PM   #14
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
other link was broken, try the one I just posted
Old 11-06-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
So let me get this right. Your saying hold button to go out and push slide out. Going to take three people correct, one on the button and two on each side and push out, correct ?also how far out you figure to go out to support it? so i only have to loosen the black bracket that attach to chains and mark on the gear to get it back close correct. Anything else? Might try it with the moulding on it it will be closer to work on and be working off a ladder.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #16
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
No you can push it out yourself, just push in the middle against the valance and it will go out fairly easily. We pushed ours out several times when on the road when it broke as we had to wait for the part to come in. Ours retracted fine just the out gear that was NFG.... You take it all the way out if you want, up to you. easy to work on when it is all the way out but again up to you. I used a small 3 stair ladder to work off. Yes the black brackets on the end of the chains. The black plastic molding covering the chains comes off with a few screws, makes it easier to work on. You can do it with the moulding on but quite frankly it is a pain in the arse trying to stretch the chains back on the gearbox as it is right in the damn way. If you leave it in/out about half way you might be able to lay on the top of the slide and do that part though... I'd wait till you get the gearbox if you are still using the trailer though. As I said we waited about 3 weeks for our part but there wasn't any anywhere in North America at that time so they were waiting on a shipment from China... Might be ok this time of year. This is a relatively common problem that is not isolated to Montana's only but with all the newer trailers using cable slide drives. Great proven technology that they cheaped out sourcing parts and now have a problem. Easiest way to support is to buy a 10ft 2x4 and cut it to length required to reach the ground while having the other shorter piece added to it to make a T on top. You simply wedge it under the bottom of the slide outside and the T keeps it stable and in place... Good luck

Old 11-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #17
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
To clarify you need two people, one to push button for slide out and one to actually push the slide. I'm assuming you've looked at it and checked the spring shaft between the gear box & the motor is intact....
Old 11-06-2017, 08:01 PM   #18
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
You can go to the Bal Acu-slide web site and download the instructions on how to replace
gear box and adjust all of it after you get the new gear box installed.
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:22 PM   #19
Md.FireFighter 3791RD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20081
When i used the flexible bit that comes with the trailer for the motors, on the end of the motor there's a opening to stick the bit in the motor and attach to my drill when you have to do it manually, i watched the shaft spinning and can hear clicking both directions . That why im thinking the gears are trashed. Again thanks for the help and advice. Think ill give it a shot really appreciate it. Chuck
Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 AM   #20
rescue7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15913
I used bungee cords on each end of cable to keep tension on them so they dont fall down. Marked the teeth on chain and on the slide wall to put back to same spot on new motor. Not hard to do just a pain
rescue7 is offline   Reply With Quote