Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
GRHooper
Established Member

M.O.C. #10295
Hobbies while RV'ing?

We've been doing this RV thing since early April in our '09 3605RL and have really enjoyed it. I think the reduced space challenge has hit, though, and I'm wondering what y'all do for, like, hobbies while you're on the road? There is no grass to cut, bushes to trim and I need to know how you fill your time. Thanks!

GRHooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:42 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Cocktail hour and eating out!!!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:32 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Understand what you are saying but you have not yet learned how to retire. We spend long hours reflecting on how lucky we are to be able to enjoy this life style. Some times we think about how we had to get up early in the A M, Fight rush hour traffic, Attend meetings, meet deadlines, etc. Then we go back to reflecting on how lucky we are to be able to enjoy this lifestyle.Like Steve Happy hour and eating out are among our favorite hobbies. This morning we had bkfst out on the rear deck enjoying the morning breeze. Perhaps later we will sit back and do nothing
while reflecting on how lucky we are to be able to enjoy this life style. hey Steve..how about at the rally we engage in our favorite hobby of...Cocktail hour while doing nothing..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have a hard time finding enough time to enjoy our hobbies...There are just so many sights to see and people to visit that outside of my computer and books other hobbies are put on hold.. I have been knitting a sweater while we travel since that is the only time I have to knit.. Bill carries sticks in the house and makes walking sticks for all the family when he finds himself having a free hour or so but that is way behind also... Then there is the cleaning and re-arranging the basement that sometimes may take a month or so to finish...lol

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 AM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We both read, Ed takes walks and bike rides. I play on the computer, crochet, quilt and Swedish Weave. We put together an N scale model train layout the first couple of years and Ed runs the trains sometimes. We are both avid baseball fans so we watch the games on TV. Ed loves old movies so he watches them on TV. Then as said above there is the cooking, cleaning, shopping and maintenance. But most of all, there is the relaxing, doing nothing, sleeping late if you want, enjoying an adult beverage and relaxing, doing nothing, etc.
Enjoy your retirement!
Happy trails.................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Richfaa - I like your plan!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
My hobbies of cameras, computers, genealogy, blogging, sewing and stitching fit right in with our RV life.

We travel to Fort Wayne, I do research and blog about it. We travel to Gulf Shores, I go out and tromp around in some of the local cemeteries, take photos, blog about it, and upload the photos and memorials to Find A Grave,

The list goes on and on!

Many hobbies are just made for this RVing life, hiking, biking, finding new places to eat (one of Al's favs!!)

If ya get bored, go outside the RV and discuss rigs and trucks for the boys, and cooking and grandkids for the gals.

Or, as Sue says, take a nap and doing nothing! LOL
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
You guys are killing me! I have 4 1/2 years to retire and it seems like forever! I run the rat race every day and though I dislike it, I realize that it's a means to an end. I'll be there soon. Meantime, keep up your posts about the "good life". You're living the dream and you've earned it! I enjoy reading about your adventures.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
DW asked me what I was going to do today and I said absolutely nothing. She said that's what you did yesterday. I replied, BUT I DIDN'T GET DONE ! (stole someone elses quote)
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:21 AM   #10
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Since May 15th this year we have been fulltiming. I have to go along with the rest of em here. Relaxing, reading, eating out, golfing, fishing and sightseeing takes a bunch of time. Then add in the cocktail hour or hours while meeting new people almost daily, and where did the day go? Oh and don't forget the nap.

All this and we been sitting stationary for the last 4 months. Starting the end of this month we will start our traveling towards the south. So looking forward to this and the adventure it will bring.

Not to worry, plenty to do!!!

Dave & Linda
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:15 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quick glance at my retirement plaque and it says 40 year 6 months of faithful service to the people of the United States Of America. I beleive in equal time. Sine I wotked for 40 years and 6 months I feel I have 40 years a 6 months of doing nothing coming to me. I have 29 years left.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #12
priceml
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #183
Send a message via ICQ to priceml Send a message via AIM to priceml
Posted - Sep 03 2010 : 10:19:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys are killing me! I have 4 1/2 years to retire and it seems like forever! I run the rat race every day and though I dislike it, I realize that it's a means to an end. I'll be there soon. Meantime, keep up your posts about the "good life". You're living the dream and you've earned it! I enjoy reading about your adventures
I just retired a little over 3 mounths ago (May 18 2007) Where did the time go.I did just get back from a fishing trip to Masset B.C.and it was great.
priceml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Sallie is into beading, sewing, Sweedish weave, shopping, makeing jewelry, computer. happy hour. I ride my quad a lot (4500mi a year), play my guitars, visit with friends, computer, happy hour. The possibilities are endless. When I get bored I clean my truck or if I am feeling generous I will clean Sallie's truck.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
My favorite hobby is procrastination.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:55 AM   #15
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
Unlike all the relaxing and eating folks (not that I don't do some of that}, I have three hobbies and a small business that I take on the road. Most hobbies you had before RVing, you can continue while on the road. I even take fishing equipment and swear I will use it every year, but seldom seem to get around to it.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Keep it up... you're making me smile when I read your posts! I know it's vicarious retirement but it gives me something to look forward to and makes me smile! The very best to all of you.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 03:09 PM   #17
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Jerry, Lisa, maybe you all had some kind of hobbies before you retired. Nancy and I started living full time in an rv october of 1998, it will be 12 yrs this oct since we have lived in a stick house (altho we now have over 1/2 acre with 2 full hookups and a small cabin) I started carving back in 1978 before I retired . I now have a complete carving shop in the basement of my rv. including, woodturning lathes, small bandsaw, dremels, all type of wood carving tools including handtools. So I do the woodcarving shows, craft shows, and enjoy traveling to different places to attend the shows. Plus maybe if I'm lucky I make some traveling $$$$!! I sell some at the campgrounds also. plus mail order. Nancy does her knitting and other different sewing. I have a friend that fulltime and she paints pictures on river rocks! and she sells the heck out of them. another friend fulltimer makes frogs out of river rocks, then paints them, there are all kind of things to do, but it has to be something that you would enjoy doing. Sometimes I even have time enough to fish!! then there is always the job of cleaning the coach and truck!! If I can be of any help please contact me. thanks
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:22 AM   #18
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We are only weekends right now, but we like to sightsee, Geocaching, take pictures, and relax.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #19
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Though we are not fulltimers (not yet anyway), we camp a lot and spend our quiet time reading, surfing the internet, bird watching (my bride), and stargazing (myself).

We recently bought a pair of electronic readers (eReaders) from Barnes and Noble. Now we can carry hundreds of books with us in the space of one.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:56 AM   #20
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
Fish
Hunt
Eat
Fish
Hunt
Nap
Repeat.....

When...IF...I get bored, I'll find the local Habitat for Humanity and volunteer some time. Or a local church, or ANY local org that needs some help.

Then it'll be back to
Fish
Hunt
Eat.....
Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote