Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Long Timers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Getting ready for the next tour

We start right after the holidays and are heading for Texas and Arizona. This will be a "recon" trip because we have spent the last dozen winters in Florida and never in Texas or Arizona. We will spend the last two weeks of January in Rockport, TX, then a week or so in the Rio Grande Valley, then a couple of weeks or so in the San Antonio and Hill area. From there, we will head west along I-10 to the Tucson area, then north to the Phoenix area. From there, to Grand Canyon and then Vegas. From there, the weather will help us decide whether we go up I-15 through the many splendors of Utah to Glacier NP or start east to Casper, WY and then on back to Michigan. Robbie suggested that West Texas is quite barren so that we should lengthen our stays somewhere else and scoot across the rest of TX after leaving San Antonio. That may be done, since we do not like to drive too far or long in any single day but like to not be able to take interesting photographs even less.

boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nice trip. But expect snow at the Grand Canyon and northwards that time of the year. You might look into stopping at Sedona on the way to the Grand Canyon from Phoenix.

Robbie is right about West Texas. After the San Antonio hill country the terrain becomes quite barren on I-10, then gets uglier up to and including El Paso, TX. Then crossing into New Mexico gets a little better. The road will be long and uneventful but services are decent for RVers in places to stop and campgrounds.

Enjoy your trip!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #3
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, Art. We are looking at getting to Grand Canyon about mid-April or so. From then on, is there a snowstorm in our future?
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
Sounds like a nice trip hope you have a safe and fun time
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:01 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Maybe Art has been away for Texas to long! I really like West Texas with Big Bend National Park, Fort Davis and the Davis Mountain State Park, the Big Bend Ranch State Park near Presidio, and the Guadalupe Mountains National Park near Van Horn. Oh--don't forget Alpine with Sul Ross University with a great Museum. Carlsbad National Park is also open--don't have to worry about snow while in the cave! Anyway--yes the road is long and usually straight but if you want some high desert adventures--head to West Texas and look around. You can check out our trips thru the area on our trip journal--see the web address on our signature. Also don't forget Southeastern Arizona with Tombstone and Bisbee--great places to visit in the winter or early spring.

F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Jim.. we did much that same trip our first winter out execpt we did not do the Valley. Sedona is beautiful.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Jim, we are at this moment sitting in Pecos, Texas. We left Kerrville, Tx on I-10 and stopped at Ft. Stockton RV park. Would recommend it as a nice layover to do a couple of day trips if you are interested.

34 years ago we were in a travel trailer and stayed at Trapark in Pecos and our 2nd daughter was born here. Then we left for California...yada yada yada. 34 years later we are reminicsing (sp) while here and moving on in a couple of days.

I agree it is quite barren and you must stop for overnight and gas/diesel perhaps when you are not ready...but... it maybe too far for the next services! Requires a bit more planning...not much, but some. Enjoy the trip and if you get to Lodi you are more than welcome to come see us.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
LOL Tim... While I haven't lived in Texas for a while I often go back to visit relatives and such. The places you mention are great, but I was referring to right off I-10. If you venture north or south of I-10 since all of West Texas if pretty big, now you're talking. Lots to see and do but don't forget that Texas is HUGE so it can take a little while to get around. I still don't think there's any way to improve El Paso and I heard that from the relatives who live there and told me that they only like it because it's inexpensive to live there (But it's number one for dust and ugliest males in the U.S., LOL)! Okay then, to each their own - DW reminded me of the recent ugliest men in the U.S. poll.

Boylanag - I couldn't tell the timeframe for your Grand Canyon trip but if there is still snow in some areas it certainly shouldn't be so bad to prevent discomfort. While rare, there can be freak snow storms in April but I don't think they last long and maybe not that late in the month. After all the Canyon's south rim a bit over 7000 ft in elevation. I can now anticipate that your slow but long trip should avoid the snowstorms as you proceed north. Sedona should be absolutely incredible prior to getting there if there is still some snow around - very green vegetation, tan/grey rocks, very red dirt and white snow - what a vision.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:52 PM   #9
2 for Him
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7383
Used to camp in the Big bend area in the early spring, absolutely beautiful. Going back this spring after 20 years, can't wait. Check out the canyons on either/ both ends. The hike up the west end is an amazing photo resource. Hope to make the Kerrville rally but it is kind of late for spring at Big Bend.

"The Interstate Highway System has enabled us to travel from one end of the country to the other without seeing a thing" Charles Kuralt.

2 for Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Mina-- Tell HoboBob not to get any funny ideas about that stay there again and increasing your family one more! LOL Have a great trip and talk at you on the road or at a rally again somewhere!
Jim and Carol-- Don't you two get any ideas either! You two have a great trip also! It really sounds great! IF I can talk Mary into a little winter getaway, maybe we'll see you down in the Southwest!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:13 AM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We were at the Grand Canyon a couple of years ago in the middle of April. It was cold! Got down to about 11 degrees. Would warm up to the mid 50s during the day. Not bad at all and in fact very good for hiking. But a storm could come in at any time and drop a lot of snow. We were on the south rim and the north rim is a thousand feet higher than the south so gets even more.

Enjoy your trip.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:19 AM   #12
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Thanks, all, for your great suggestions. Looks like we will take Steve Reigle's advice and use US-90 west from San Antonio and this way we can see more of what some of you are talking about. Staying off the Interstate is how we always prefer to travel but it sure helps to hear from someone who has traveled the off roads. We believe your Kuralt quote 100%, 2 for Him. Looks like it may get nippy in some areas in April and/or early May but we have a furnace for that. Just don't want to tow in the snow. I see where Sedona is a "must see!"
Old 11-05-2009, 05:41 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
That's a great idea. Next time I head to San Antonio to visit I will use US90. I have never been on it and it still gets me there and only adds about 30 miles to the drive!

Thanks Steve Reigle!