Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2006, 01:13 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I saw two new Cambridges today!

Pretty nice! The salesmen said that they were made in late 2005. And they were also under the impression that they have only been on hold and production will start again sometime. The units had a residential type refrigerator in them and good storage in the bedroom. The W/D was not in the bedroom closet. FYI

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Interesting to hear they're only on hold. I understood the Cambridge had been discontinued.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 02:55 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well from the impression we got at the RV show in Tampa from the Keystone people the Cambridge will not be reborn. It was mentioned they may lessen the Cambridge's eye candy, etc to lower the price but all that would do is bring it more inline with the Montana and the Everest prices and they don't really need a 3rd 5er in that same range.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
As a Cambridge qowner I think I understand why the Cambridge was discontinued. There is no truck in the current lineup of light duty through MDT from Ford GM or Chrysler that can tow it with any kind of load and stay within the posted CGWR. To stay within the GVWR of the truck you have to have at least a one tone dually. All the eye candy, especially the hardwood cabinets, put this unit in a very narrow market niche. Unless the tow vehicles see some changes in ratings, the top line Montanas and Everests may head into this same pocket. Unfortunately, there are few if any dealers that are willing to have a discussion of these issues.

Don't get me wrong. We love our Cambridge and have rationalized our ability to handle the load. But, that does nt make it an easy sell -- especially for anyone with a concience.
Dave
PS glad we bought before we did all the calculations.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I repeated to the salesmen more than once what had been discussed on this forum. I just ended up believing that we know more than they do! By the way, the salesman was very interested in our 2004 Monty, sight unseen, as a trade in. Of course, he was sweet talking to, wanted me to buy a Cambridge.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would still love to have a Cambridge 358RL, great looking coach with many great features. Guess I can always dream... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:34 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
You could probably still find one sitting on a lot somewhere, Montana Sky.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:13 AM   #8
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
Walnut Ridge in New Castle In. has a new 361rls listed in the Ohio auto trader for 60,900 list price is 90,615 pretty good discount, by the their phone is 800 607 8827.
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 04:00 AM   #9
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
What I was told was they were extremely hard to move off the lots. When people would see the Montana which inside looks quite a bit like the 2 floorplans of the Cambridge (3400 etc) the people would decide that the extra money it would cost wasn't worth it. I personally thought that the Cambridge was beautiful. But not for that extra money it would cost. So we went with the 3400RL and haven't regretted it. We have the truck to pull the Cambridge but didn't want to spend that extra $$$$, plus it set so close to the ground that scared me.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:19 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We were told on our last factory tour (June 05) that the Cambridge was history. We thought that the Cambridge was far better than the others in it's price range although it did not get a very good rating at Rv.org.There were a lot of ratings there on several units that I thought were off base. It was a bit heavy due to the quality of construction and far out of our price range.I think that those folks who have one will see the value hold and If you had the extra dollars and the Truck it would be a good buy now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would expect a salesman to say that. After all, who is going to lay out that much money for an orphan?

We were told at the RGV RV Show by a Keystone Exec that the Cambridge is history. We did not discuss it possibly coming back. What he said is sales were ok for a rig in that price range but Keystone figured out they could make more money by using the production space, staff, etc., on a lower-priced rig. It is purely a matter of economics is my understanding.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well maybe by the middle of summer or more towards fall dealerships will be asking you to take them off their inventory. Nobody wants to carry a 2006 model into 07, especially as Steve said, "its an orphan." I have my eye on 6 different dealerships around the west coast who have 3 to 5 Cambridge's in their current inventory. Just silently watching the price tags.. =)
Old 04-06-2006, 10:03 AM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I have seen them in person as well and not sure I would upgrade for the cost difference. We love our 3400RL and the added eye candy and weight is just not worth it at this time. They are one of the most beautiful coaches on the market. It is a shame that Keystone may be dropping them from production.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
If I'm correct, the Cambridge has a lot more storage (thus the low slung belly, Kathi). Also, I can't remember the discussion, if any... does the Canbridge have a vented attic like the Montana? Or is it like the Everest - no vented attic?

The main draw for me would be the extra storage. Does anyone have the comparisons between the Montana and the Cambridge basements? And maybe more storage in the bedroom?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
If you take a look at a 2006 Everest bedroom closet you will see it is the same as in the Cambridge. While the basement does look larger in a Cambridge compared to the Montana, I have not measured it or read anywhere stating it is. As I have said before, I wish Keystone would offer the full body paint from the Cambridge on the Montana. Would proabably solve the decal problems it seems many folks are starting to have. And while I am at it, maybe Keystone will offer the Mor*ryde kingpin like the ones on the Cambridge for the Montana as well.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #16
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Dave and Victoria have the Cambridge maybe they can come in and let us know about what the storage is like in theirs. I know theirs is beautiful. I also know that when we were at Gardner's taking a picture for someone on this forum we looked at the Everest...The interior has most if not all of what use to be in the Cambridge. I guess they have to use up their inventory. But it sure was nice.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote