Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Another blown tire up date

Well, I got the news today. That blow-out damage to the Montana will cost a mere $800 to fix. The other blow-out on the opposite side just created a dent that can be straightened and the body man just threw that one in. I am as certain, as I know how to be, that I didn't hit debris or encounter faulty road surface (smooth black top). I was traveling at a reasonable 60 mph. The tires had been checked for proper inflation no more that an hour before the incident. The deflation was sudden and complete.

Moral to the story -- you don't have to do something improper to have an incident that may lead to considerable cost. That's just life. That's why I carry insurance against the unexpected as well as to cover my mistakes.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
I see by you sign. that your rig is an 03 model, so assume it had the original tires when the blow-out happened. Were these the Tacoma tires that come on most/all new Montanas?
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The blown tires were General, called Grabber AW
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #4
Montana_3811

M.O.C. #3811
Just like Stiles, Whe had a blow out on one of the Tacoma tires on our 03 Montana. Same circumstances, no know reason. My wife was following me in the car at the time it happened. She said she didn't notice anything wrong untill the billowing white smoke appeared. I had just checked tire pressure about a hundred miles back and all were right on the money.
Does anyone know where I might try to warrentee the tire? It only had about 6,000 miles on it before it whent KABLUEEEEEE!
AZDAVE
Montana_3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:36 AM   #5
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
It pays to get your ducks in a row and contact the tire company direct. Sometimes pays unexpected dividends. Damage from our tire incident was $1800.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #6
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Sorry about the blow out, could our insurance help was this kind of loss?
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AZ Dave

Just like Stiles, Whe had a blow out on one of the Tacoma tires on our 03 Montana. Same circumstances, no know reason. My wife was following me in the car at the time it happened. She said she didn't notice anything wrong untill the billowing white smoke appeared. I had just checked tire pressure about a hundred miles back and all were right on the money.
Does anyone know where I might try to warrentee the tire? It only had about 6,000 miles on it before it whent KABLUEEEEEE!
AZDAVE
AZDAVE,
I believe Tacoma tires are warranted by Cooper Tire Co. If you had damage to the RV, they may take care of that also. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #8
Montana_3811

M.O.C. #3811
Thanks for the information about the tire warrentee. I will soon be paying a visit to Cooper Tires. We were really lucky. The Montana was not damaged at all. I was running about 60 when it blew and got it shut down pretty quick. We may not have been as lucky had my wife not started screetching on the two way radio! She scared me to death but getting scared is cheap compared to the damage it may have caused. Thanks again.
Montana_3811 is offline   Reply With Quote