Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Door Lock

Has anyone replaced the lock to their door into the RV. I found out that the key to our old TT fits the 5er. That means that obcviously more than one person has a key that will fit our 5er. I was looking at getting a totally new lock I don't mind paying in the region of $100 to get a secure lock or whatever it costs. Any ideas? Diana

DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I think that most of the RV locks have just a few possible combinations. You might want to look into a deadbolt, if that is the way you want to go. Camping World carries a replacement RV lock for $82.17. Or, you may want to have your Montana dealer replace the lock. Several options available. Best of luck. By the way, almost all of the outside storage has the same key as well. I will tell you, this weekend I found out how easy it is to break into a house. We had to break into my Mom's house and all it took was a drill and a few minutes. I was told that I could have gotten in a lot easier and someone then told me how easy it was to pick a lock. The old adage that locks are for honest people rings true. If someone wants in, they'll find a way.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I knew this was true with some of the lower end units. Our repair guy could open our neighbor at the park we were at previously. I had hoped Keystone had more varieties. Guess we had better replace.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Boy, what a scarey thought - I knew that keys fit but unaware that they would actually work except the standard ones that fit the basement doors. Thanks for the post on this matter.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:04 AM   #5
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
On my 2005, there are two locks, that operate with the same key. One is a standard door lock, and the other is a dead bolt. The key will open many "door locks", but only one "dead bolt". I think they leave a few tumblers out of the door locks! This became apparent to me, when I left my unit at the dealership for repair, and locked both locks. I received a call from the service tech, that they could not get into the unit. He explained that if I had only locked the "door lock", he could have easily gotten in, but the "dead bolt" required a unique key that only I had. He also mentioned that on the lot, they only use the "door lock" at night to make it easier to open up all the trailers in the morning.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:58 AM   #6
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Our 2004 has a dead bolt as well as the door lock. Guess the real question is how secure are the dead bolts and how many of those keys are out in the world? Interested to hear about new door lock installations.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:43 AM   #7
DL N K
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2888
The trailer we just traded for our 3500RL was a 2002 Four Winds. Some friends we camp with have a Holiday Rambler, not sure of the year model, but several years old, (late '90's I think). One weekend while we were camping the subject of door locks came up and we found out that not only could we open each others door lock, we could also open each others deadbolt.
So much for the secure feeling. Like someone else said, locks are only for the honest.
DL N K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
On mine, I could spend $$$ to change the doors, but if I didn't do the same on the compartment door, a small/wiry person could probably enter that way and come up under the bed !!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:31 AM   #9
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
My key from the 335 Mountaineer works on both the ordinary and the dead lock of our 3400 Montana. Just confirming that the dead lock can be opened with a key from another Trailer.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:07 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If you leave the bathroom door open just a little nobody can get in through the laundry chute from the basement. Tried that, can't reach in to close the bathroom door.

Diana, are you saying the TT key also opens the deadbolt? My understanding is the same as Mike's and our dealer always told us to lock the top lock but not the deadbolt or he couldn't get in. His master key opens the top lock. DL N K reported where a HR key worked in their Four Winds so maybe there is more of this than I realized.

I've seen some people replace the locker door locks but I'm not sure why they bother. All it takes to open those doors is a screwdriver to pry and pop it right open. If there's a way to securely lock the door so it cannot be popped open, then maybe I'd be interested in that. I once had to open a locker with a screwdriver and it's about a three second job.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
There are only 5 wafers in that lock and you can get only 3125 differen combinations in that series. the way the manufactures get more combinations is to change the keyway giving them 3125 more keys to issue out. they are also master keyed on the top cylinder only that is why the dealer can open the door that is if the dead bolt is not thrown. for all that want a better lock you can go and buy one but take a word of advice the door on your trailer is less than 1.5" thick then you have the other problem the door has a lip that has the seal this changes the center line of the bolt you now must drill it closer to the inside edge of the door to align with the jamb, if you miss this measurment it will be too close to the outside skin of the trailer and will be a weak point in this area of the jamb. locks are only to keep the honist person honist. if a person realy want to get into your trailer they will get in even if the have to brake something . I personally think that installing an aditional dead bolt is a waist of your money. you should spend it on compartment locks if on anything, I have two locks on each compartment and the thumb turn in the center of the door. I know all it will take is a large screwdriver to pop that door or any other compartment door to gain access. and I also know I did my best to secure the rig.

TT2
Old 02-16-2005, 01:30 PM   #12
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
sreigle: Yes our TT key fits both of the locks on our door. I found out by accident. I had extra keys made for the TT and forgot to give them to the dealer when we purchased the 5er. Picked up the TT key by accident and guess what it opened the 5er. Diana
Old 02-16-2005, 02:11 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, Diana, that's probably low probability but it did happen. I know it can happen with automobiles, too. Back in the sixties and before GM apparently had few different keys and it wasn't too hard to find a GM vehicle my key would open. It probably was the same with the other mfrs but that's the one I knew about. When one of my sisters got married we found my '64 Pontiac Tempest key fit their '63 Chevy, so..... we had a lot of fun filling up the inside of their car!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:33 PM   #14
larryngail
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #888
Hi~

Steve...Thanks for the GREAT suggestion of leaving the bathroom door open a little. Having a door that sometimes locks itself, both Larry and I have had the pleasure of crawling up through the laundry shoot --- which left us thinking about some ding-dong possibly entering the same way. Bathroom door open over the chute door...perfect solution when we're out and about.

We have the same understanding as Mike and Steve regarding the deadbolt/door lock. One key fits all on the one lock, but not the other. Still, no plans on changing our locks.
larryngail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Another reason we don't worry about someone entering our Montana via the basement is our basement is very full. To empty enough to crawl in through there, surely the neighbors would notice what's going on.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:15 PM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
DiananColin
That is scary, however, a friend came out of a fast food place, walked up to his truck, unlocked it, got in and wondered where the brief case came from. It was not his truck. One like it and keyed like his. Again there are only so many combinations and keeping is simple for the dealers it key to save them money. I also understand the dead bolt is the true lock for the door the handle is just an honest device. I like the idea of the open bathroom door and three locks on the storage area. Wonder if the locks are keyed the same or a left and right key to slow people down. That "people" would mainly be me. lol
Be safe traveling.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 09:13 PM   #17
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I accidently used the key to the storage compartments on the main door lock and got quite a surprize. The key caused the lock to pull right out of the door, then you could just pull the door open.. So much for security!
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 11:49 PM   #18
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I agree with the dead bolt lock. When I moved to Newark, New Jersey sometime ago, my key from my former home opened the new apartment I was living in.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:17 AM   #19
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We recommended a loud barking dog on the other side of the door. Then the locks are quite secure. That's why Greta is our traveling companion. They don't know she would just as soon lick them to death.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:47 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Starchmill, would you elaborate a little on that lock pulling out of the door? I think I'm hearing you say the locker compartment key inserted in the coach entry door lock caused the lock to pull out of the door? Was it not screwed into place or did the lock piece pull out of the door handle assembly? Was this the upper lock or the deadbolt? Thanks.