Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2005, 03:57 AM   #1
Montana_504
Established Member

M.O.C. #504
WiFi

I am wondering if any of you computer experts out there know anything about WiFi. At campsites around the country there are many that have WiFi. My new computer has it installed and so I use it. Much faster connection than telephone hardwire. But my problem. I can receive email without any problem, but I cannot send email. I keep getting an error message, typically '550 unauthorized interface for 63.110.232.65'.
Can anyone helpme.

Bdsray@attglobal.net

Montana_504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:52 AM   #2
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Has this worked before? New connection? New ISP?

Lots of times, this is something like a mispelling of the outgoing server name, or using "mail" instead of "SMTP" possibly. Double check your typing, or better yet, have someone else verify your typing! I've looked at something numerous times, only to have someone else immediately spot a typo! Double check with your ISP to verify the outgoing address.

Here's a tip - when you get an error message, copy that message -verbatim- into Google. 95% of the time, or better, you'll find a response that will fix your problem!!

One example:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Netw..._20834961.html

Best of luck - let me know if you get it going!

Al
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
You didn't say who your server was. I use earthlink web mail when on the road and never had any problem. As a test you might shut down your firewall and and Anti-virus software when sending the mail.

I assume everything works ok when not using WiFi.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:23 AM   #4
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
Your WiFi ISP has a different outgoing mail address than you use at home, and that is how your mail account is set up. ie: using your regular mail server. I've never tried using WiFi at a campground, but I do use a different connection when on the road, than at home, and I need to change my mail account settings. You may need to ask at the campground office what their outgoing mail server is.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Gee ! I don't know I have used WI-FI only once and that was in Willcox AZ. I was able to recieve and send email. I will be watching this thread as I may run into this later.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 AM   #6
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I have only used wifi twice. I have comcast as my isp. When i go on line with wifi I can go to comcast home page and log on and check and send email from there. Never had a problem. A lot might depend on who your isp is.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 01:12 AM   #7
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
You can reduce your hassles by using web mail. That way, assuming your browser works, you should be able to send and receive mail without having to change parameters. Every ISP I have used supports web mail and sometimes the best way is to get a web mail account with Google (GMAIL) or Yahoo. That way, even when you change ISP your address stays the same.

Good Luck
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:04 AM   #8
Montana_504
Established Member

M.O.C. #504
Thanks for all your responses. I found that my McAfee 9.0 virus protection program which scans all incoming and outgoing messages was causing part of the problem of not being able to send email messages. So I disabled the sending portion of the virus protection program. Also I needed to change the smtp1 setting to asmtp and walla, I can send email.

Bruce
Montana_504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I had the same problem but now am able to send and receive email on both my highstream and my yahoo email accounts when using wi-fi. If you are using Outlook Express, go to Tools/Accounts. On the Email tab, click your email account and click the Properties button. Go to the Servers tab and put a checkmark in the box for "my server requires authentication". That fixed it for me. If not Outlook Express, look for something similar in your email app.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote