Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 11:31 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Oversized Rig

Just recevieved my Jan. issue of Trailer Life. It had the latest Tow Rating guide included. Reading through it, I became aware that we are too long in some places. Like DC, Maryland, Miss, and NJ. These places have Laws of combined length from 50' to 55'. We have a combined lenght of 56'2".

It raises some interesting thoughts, like, does this give your Ins. Co. an out, if you have an accident in these places?

Could you be Ticketed and not allowed to continue on your way? I remember an incident on Rt.87 going across the Navajo Res. in AZ. A couple of MC Riders were stopped for not wearing helmets. No Helmet Law in AZ if over 18, but the Res. has their own law and you will be stopped. They were given tickets and then had to hitch-hike back to Flagstaff to buy a couple of helmets before they were allowed on their way.

It does give me pause, and please don't tell me to buy a 5er. Not ready to give up the MC just yet.

BTW, The Towing Guide is loaded with great info. I can recommend buying a copy of Jan. Trailer Life if not just for the guide.

Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:27 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Would not drive ours in DC, so that takes care of that situation. Did in Maryland, either we snuck through or they don't care as long as you are obeying the rest of their laws?? Ditto on Mississippi. New Jersey, not sure we'll be going there any time soon, so not gonna worry bout that one???

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Trailer Life Directory...United States Rules of the Road - Size Limits
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:04 PM   #4
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
Drove in DC, Maryland (frequently), Mississippi, and New Jersey with a combined length of 57' and have never been stopped. I have even pulled across weigh scales in Maryland without incidence. I would hope that it nevers becomes an issue.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:34 PM   #5
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Thanks for the web address Glenn!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:34 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Seriously, there used to be something (don't know the legal term), where one state recognized the laws of another when it came to stuff like this. Not the bike helmut stuff, but towing lengths, and licensing requirements, etc. Not sure they still do this. Anyone know????
Old 12-29-2004, 02:28 PM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Some states still recognize the motor vehicle laws of other states. This is most noticable when you see a 5th wheel and another trailer being towed by the same vehicle thru a state where such a combo is illegal. Seen this many times in New York where 2 trailers are illegal.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:39 AM   #8
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Thanks for posting the link Glenn. Interesting article.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 04:57 AM   #9
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
There is a new law that goes into effect in CA Jan 1 that requires your to have a non commercial endorsement to your licence if your length is over 50', I think that is the length anyway.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 06:33 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by party of 5

There is a new law that goes into effect in CA Jan 1 that requires your to have a non commercial endorsement to your licence if your length is over 50', I think that is the length anyway.
That law would only apply to Calif residents and not to out of state drivers.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:13 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also have driven through those places and never been questioned. Back in our stick house days we towed a boat behind an earlier fifthwheel, total length 64' 10" (65' was legal there). I know what Glenn says is true, most states will honor the state of registration rules but sometimes you have to convince the cop that he should call in to confirm that. Never had the "opportunity" to find out, though.

Carol, you don't like towing through busy areas? I tend to barrel straight on through the big cities, except at rush hour. When we left RC and Samantha's place north of Detroit and I told them we plan to go straight through Detroit so we could at least see a little of the city, I think she at that point was thoroughly convinced I'm insane. Or maybe Vicki told her. Big cities don't bother me. By the way, our trip through Detroit turned out relaxed and uneventful. Very light traffic, decent road, no serious construction. Los Angeles (I-5 south to north), on the other hand, was more fun (?). What a rough set of freeways.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:53 AM   #12
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Trailer Life Directory...United States Rules of the Road - Size Limits
Interesting. Looking at Glenn's link, I see that NJ's limits are quite questionable! NJ allows a trailer length of 40' and a combined length of 50'. I'd love to see the 10' tow vehicle that is rated to tow a 40' trailer.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:58 AM   #13
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve,

We drive through big towns, used to go right through Cincinnati ALL the time when headed towards Florida direction, we did not even take the beltway, just blasted through downtown. Took Houston OK too, did not take the outer beltway, which, if memory serves, is a tollway, did take the innerbeltway of I -10 around Houston, around 2:30 in the afternoon, NO trouble.

But, I ain't driving THROUGH D.C. Nope, nadda, ain't gonna happen. I might drive AROUND D.C., but only thing I am gonna drive THROUGH D.C. is gonna be a small car. Lived there many moons ago, over on the Maryland side, while Al was in the service. I know my way around some, giving consideration that my mind is older and there are so many changes. About 12 to 15 years ago, I took my son to Chesapeake with me, he was really in to President Lincoln. When he saw the signs that said Washington D.C. he pleaded, ohhh, can't we just drive through there on the way to Norfolk. Well, I of course, said yes. Now, I had no co-pilot, as he could not read a map at all, probably still cannot. I drove into D.C. by hook or crook, and sense of direction from old memories. Got him to the White House, the Capital Building, the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial as well as Arlington Cemetery and back out and headed south to Norfolk with no GPS, no maps, just little old Carol.

HOWEVER, this WAS 15 years ago. The traffic was horrendous then, and I can only imagine after 9/11 what it is like.

Nope, we might get to the belt way around D.C., but never taking a rig INTO D.C.

I drove the old TT and van around Atlanta one time, many years ago, again, no co-pilot that could read a map, 3 kids in the van and Al sound asleep in the back seat. We hit about 3 in the afternoon and it probably would have been OK, but there had been a huge accident several hours earlier that had basically closed down the freeway. IT was mostly stop, very little go. No one wanted to let me move into the lane I needed, so, I just went there.

Nahh, could not say I was afraid to go through a big town. Drove around KC from the Arkansas City, Kansas to Independence Missouri, maybe you know the place??? Drove through OK City last spring, right through!

Hope I get to try getting around Indianapolis real soon!

Carol
Old 12-30-2004, 02:56 PM   #14
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
We have never had a problem going through Indy. The only problem we have is should we take 65 or 465. And that didn't even matter to me all I do is listen to Wendy (the navigator) and drive.
We do try to start our travels either late at night (11pm) ,or early morning (3am-6am). I like these hours because the roads are pretty open, even in Chicago ex. 94.The less hassle you have on the road the more fun you get to have camping. The only problem with late night driving is finding diesel.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:05 PM   #15
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Stopped at a rest area outside of DC a couple years ago and asked the attendent about driving into DC and he said the only way he would go to DC is in a tank. We drove down to the white house anyway.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 02:16 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Don't expect to have any trouble around Indy, only trouble will be is DO we get to try! God willing and the creek don't rise, we hope to be trying around mid January!

Happy New Year everyone!
Old 12-31-2004, 03:57 AM   #17
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
From Ontario, Canada to McAllen, Texas we avoid all big cities. Like to take the more scenic back roads. Fewer trucks although probably a bit slower. But, I'm retired and have given up hurrying.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 06:13 AM   #18
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Have several friends that have hauled large sailboats across country, some even for a living. Length wasn't so much of a problem as width. They felt they could get away with the oversize as long as they didn't do anything stupid or elsewise against the law. Patrolmen would ignore them.

If you have time, get a chance to talk to those that haul trailers from the factories to dealerships for a living. I chatted with several guys before we bought our Montana - just happened to catch them at the local dealer - and they confirmed that Montana's were sweet to haul!!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 07:45 AM   #19
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Well there's a lot of 53' long 102" wide trailers on the roads here so I would think the laws referred to were old and been updated.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 08:41 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, you're correct about D.C. It can be a zoo. We stay west of DC out at Haymarket most often. Our granddaughters in the area are in Springfield, on the south side, so we do a few trips through there each year but the Montana is usually parked already. Only difference I can tell between rush hour and non-rush hour is how far the cars move per minute on average! It's never a fun drive. On the other hand, when at Haymarket we're less than 15 miles from Camping World.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote