Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2004, 06:39 AM   #61
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think the Ford has a switch to change to fast idle but the computer switches automatically to fast idle after about two minutes of cold idling. Hopefully that does the same thing. I still don't know if we have the block heater without cord. I need to get out there with a mirror to see above that crossmember I guess. At 5F I used the double cycling of the glow plugs and it started right up.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:24 AM   #62
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Found the block heater! This week I'll go buy the cord from the Ford dealer. I still think it's nickel shaving that they didn't provide the cord except in certain states. At least make it an option, for crying out loud.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:13 AM   #63
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PatnRich

Duramax owners manual states, temps from -20-0 F the block heater is not needed.
My husband has a Duramx, this is what his manual says. Kinda confusing.
"In very cold weather, 0 F )-18c) or colder, the engine coolant heater can help. You'll get easier starting and better fuel economy during engine warm up. Usually the coolant heater should be plugged in a minimum of four hours prior to starting your vehicle."

Then it also says-
"At temperatures above 32F (0 C), use of the coolant heater is not required.

So which is it? Plug in below 32 or below 0?
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #64
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
If Ford is like Dodge the cord might be cheaper from International, KCR International, is right by Midway Ford off 435 north of 70 I think the exit is Front st.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:21 PM   #65
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
sreigle,

You’re absolutely right about nickel shaving. I’ve heard also that they deleted the hood insulation, the light in the glove compartment, courtesy lights in the doors upon opening, and the inside wheel well splash guards? I suppose they were pulled to save a dollar but haven't visited the lot to see if it’s true.
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:26 PM   #66
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Sue,
I usually plug my Duramax in when the temps reach into the 20's or colder. I have been down well below zero and was not able to plug the truck in and it still started for the three weeks the temps were down that low.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 04:10 AM   #67
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
EUREKA! I found my block heater this morning! That cord is wrapped up tight down by the passenger side engine mount, right where everyone said it would be. I don't think I would have found it at night, even with a flashlight though. I was starting to get a little worried about being in sub-20 weather without it. All I have to do now is remember to plug in overnight. We're leaving So Cal for Prescott AZ on Wednesday morning. This will be the maiden voyage for our new 2980RL.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:55 AM   #68
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerryb, good point. I used to buy oil filters from that International dealer at half what Ford wants. Now Walmart carries them and beats them both. I'll check with that International dealer first. Thanks for the reminder. It's less than 10 miles from where we are right now.

There are splash guards in the wheel wells, there is just a small opening in there where I can see the block heater. There also are courtesy lights when doors are opened but not in the glovebox nor the drivers side glovebox. I don't remember about hood insulation. Will check that. Vicki tood the truck to Topeka today so can't check until she gets home.

Bill Hill, good luck with the maiden voyage. Hope you have fun. Our diesel started just fine at 5 degrees fahrenheit so yours should, too. That's without the block heater. Someone suggested cycling the glow plugs, turning the key off and cycling them again. I did that but don't really know if it made any difference. Sure can't hurt, though.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:39 AM   #69
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Thanks Steve,
I'm here at work and have a real bad case of hitch itch. I just went home at lunch and pulled the rig to in front of the house so we can load up tonight. We leave at 06:00 and I'm chompin' at the bit.

We hope you all have a happy and safe new year, or better yet, a MONTANA-RRIFIC NEW YEAR!
Old 12-28-2004, 10:07 AM   #70
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
Good luck on your first trip, Bill. I wish we were heading to AZ right now. The change of season is nice but I've had enough of the snow and cold weather.
Have a safe trip!
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #71
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Best of Luck on Your Maiden Voyage, Bill!!

Oh, and a quick tip - if you do plug in, don't forget to unplug in the morning before you leave!!!

I haven't figured out a good reminder yet, but I always try to unplug BEFORE I get in and fire 'er up!

Al
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 04:03 PM   #72
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Sounds like good advice! Thanks.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:21 PM   #73
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skyguy
I haven't figured out a good reminder yet, but I always try to unplug BEFORE I get in and fire 'er up!
After plugging in, I hang the cord (bright orange one) over the driver’s mirror. I can't miss it!
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:29 AM   #74
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by skyguy
Oh, and a quick tip - if you do plug in, don't forget to unplug in the morning before you leave!!!

Al
I drove off the other morning WITHOUT unplugging . Good thing it just unplugged itself and no damage to either cord.

P.S. The thing about haning on the drivers side mirror is a good idea since we park our trucks on an angle in the driveway and the plug isn't visable when I get in my truck. Thanks for the tip.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 06:30 AM   #75
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Aha, smoketrain you just explained something I've been wondering about. A guy down the street has the cord hanging over the mirror and I wondered why he does that. Now I know. Thanks. And once I get the cord for our block heater I'll do the same.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:06 AM   #76
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
You got the right idea, Steve R. That's what we did with the heater cords on tractors, ran them around the mirror.When your mirror disappears you'll know you made a mistake!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote