Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2004, 02:24 AM   #41
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Here's what my manual says:

"In extremely cold weather below zero F (-18C) it may be beneficial to cycle the manifold heaters TWICE before attempting to start the engine. This can be accomplished by turning the ignition OFF and then back ON after the WAIT TO START light has gone off, but before the engine is started."

Also, the Dodge manual suggests plugging in below 32 degrees.

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:32 AM   #42
BlackLab
Established Member

M.O.C. #2305
I have a 04 Dodge 3500 HO that did not come with a plug heater. Requested the Dodge dealer to install. After 1 hour tech comes out and states there isn't any plug heater for this model and year. As the manual states-Recycle the manifold grid heaters and install the grill and batteries insulated covers for extreme cold weather starts. Suppose I should call Dodge.
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 AM   #43
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
In my opinion, this discussion comes down to this.

It is not required to plug in the block heater for a diesel engine.
As some have attested to, the diesel engine will start even if left outside in zero degrees weather.

As the manual states, it may be beneficial to plug it in when certain conditions are present.

For me, it is definitely beneficial to do so for the ease of starting and to minimize the wear and tear on the engine, when the conditions are near or at the zero degree mark and especially when the truck is kept outside in those conditions.

Personally, I try to take care of my equipment, within reason, the best I can. If plugging in the block heater will prolong the life and service of my diesel engine, I certainly would want do that. These recent model trucks cost to much to replace to not to take care of them.

Just my opinion on what I've read on this topic.

Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:59 AM   #44
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cargary

In my opinion, this discussion comes down to this.

It is not required to plug in the block heater for a diesel engine.
As some have attested to, the diesel engine will start even if left outside in zero degrees weather.
Gary & Carole,
Glad you haven't had any problems so far. Mine did not want to start the other morning. I also have friends who couldn't get theirs started and like some here had no clue you could plug them in. The diesel fuel gels up in the cold, so I agree with you, better safe than sorry.
Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:38 AM   #45
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Yes, you should call Dodge. We live in MN and our '03 came with an engine block heater. You might want to find a new dealership too, I can't believe they told you there isn't an engine block heater for an '04.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BlackLab

I have a 04 Dodge 3500 HO that did not come with a plug heater. Requested the Dodge dealer to install. After 1 hour tech comes out and states there isn't any plug heater for this model and year. As the manual states-Recycle the manifold grid heaters and install the grill and batteries insulated covers for extreme cold weather starts. Suppose I should call Dodge.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 01:51 PM   #46
jerryb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #137
The 04 Dodge has a block heater, but not the cord. Cummins put heaters in the engines but Dodge did not install cords. The heater is on the right side near the front of the engine, you can get a cord from Cummins for around $10. I don't know what Dodge gets but I'm sure it's more.
If the tech couldn't find the heater I wouldn't let him do anything else to the truck.
jerryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 02:05 PM   #47
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Sue:
Actually I did have a problem with a diesel engine, but it was back in 1982. We had a 1982 Olds custom crusier station wagon with a diesel engine and the night before we had topped off the 25 gal tank. We left Portland the next morning to visit my in laws in Grand Rapids and the temp. was around -7 degrees F. We took I-96 and got as far as M-66 (Ionia exit) and the fuel was gelling up. The max speed we could go was around 25 mph. I got off there and drove north toward Ionia to the Meijers gas station, which at that time was the closest station. I pulled up to a gas pump and topped the tank off with gas. I could only get in about 3/4 of a gal., as I had previously topped off the tank the night before with diesel. I was worried about this mixture, but I had heard of some doing it before and not harming the engine. Well, it didn't take long and the engine was running normal once again. We continued to G.R. and had no more troubles. The gas was apparently enough to dilute the gelling of the diesel fuel. Anyways, sorry for the long story, but I have to say that in my opinion, the block heater won't help out with the gelling problem. All the block heater does is heat the coolant (water and antifreeze) in the engine. It doesn't heat the fuel. But it does help warm the engine up and makes it easier starting and limits the engine wear and tear. We have had no trouble with our 2003 Chevy w/a duramax diesel engine thus far. Of course I keep it housed in our garage which is insulated. I did, however, have trouble with our Chevy astro van with a gas engine. It wouldn't start this last monday - it was left outside overnight. I believe it was moisture in the fuel, because on tuesday when the temp rose to 36 degrees F. it started right up. Hows that for goofy things to happening?
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:51 PM   #48
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
This has been a fascinating thread. Didn't even know my Silverado had the block heater standard. Was out shooting five stand tonight and the traps wouldn't work because of the cold. Decided I better go home and find out if I had the block heater. Sure enough, there it was, tie wrapped down by the engine mount. Put the Silverado in the garage and then plugged it in - should be nice and toasty next time. I like this diesel thing. Still not sure how that affects the fuel, though, to keep it from jelling. I imagine it also helps the Allison trans?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:12 AM   #49
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Ron,
On which side of the engine did you find the cord, driver or passenger? I'll look for mine tonight when I get home.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 03:43 AM   #50
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
Bill Hill,
Your Duramax has a plug on the passager side under the hood, it will be fold under a silver cover. Just look on the left side you should see it.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill Hill

I'm an ignorant Southern California boy whose truck has never seen snow. Where's the plug in on a '04 Duramax? We're going to Prescott AZ for New Years and may need to plug in. Since the truck didn't come with a cable to plug in, does that mean that the engine isn't wired for it? I know I'll have to get a cable.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:30 AM   #51
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
We keep our truck in the garage so I only plug it in when it is about -20. I also use a fuel additive called SYANADYNE.Like memtioned earlier I drain the water seperator every other tank on gas , and I replace the fuel filter/water seperator once a year.
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 AM   #52
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Wendall & Margaret,
Thanks much, I'll check it tonight!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:10 AM   #53
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Duramax owners manual states, temps from -20-0 F the block heater is not needed.

We were at 0 Monday night and I plugged in. I also changed the idle speed to high Both of these really helped the engine to heat up much faster.

Rich

2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A EC SB
2004 Montana 2955 Pullrite Prodigy
PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:04 PM   #54
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
while on the subject, i'll throw in the nickels worth...

I usually will plug in around 15 degrees. It seems to help alot. I can't say if it will start without plugging in the heater at lower temps, I have always plugged in!

One thing that WILL prevent starting in cold temps, is the failure of the glow plug sensor. This goes, the glow plugs don't preheat, and it will NOT start in 15 degree temps. One of the common problems with my generation diesel. Use to pay the $100 deductible to have warranty replace it, but now I know it's a $30 part that's right on top of the engine, two screws, a couple wires, and you're done! More info is available on the diesel forums....

Gonna be below zero here tonight - real glad I am in the stick house!!
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:21 PM   #55
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Al, just talked with my daugher in Buena Vista. She said it was cold! They will be heading over to Crested Butte to ski over Christmas. We are in Buffalo, Texas tonight and it feel like Buffalo, NY. Keep warm.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:43 PM   #56
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
David - if she says it's cold in Buena Vista, then it's got to be frozen SOLID in Crested Butte! My two sons go to school at Western State in Gunnison, just south of Crested Butte. I have never skiied at CB on a "warm" day.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:01 AM   #57
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
A little addendum to the plugging in aspect, if your truck is not a daily driver there is one other thing you might consider. If you are like me, my truck is only used for the 5er but I start it and drive it 'til everything is at operating temperature at least once a week.
If your truck sits for more than a week and a half or two weeks, it would behoove you to unhook the fuel selenoid wire and crank it until the oil pressure starts to come up. Diesels run with 17:1 or 18:1 compression ratios and dry bearings aren't good for it.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:17 AM   #58
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Just as a note, i always plug my Poerstroke in anytime it drops below the freezing mark. It helps it start more quickly and also the heater is warmed in just a couple of minutes. It is much easier on the glow plugs too. Merry Christmas to ALL!
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:17 AM   #59
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It's still too cold for me to crawl under and try to find if it really has a heater or not. Started it at 3F this morning, using the double cycling of the glow plugs. Started right up and ran fine. But I would like to find the heater and get the cord, assuming it's correct that it has one.

Well, crawled/shivered under, can't find the heater. If it's there it's in the area above the cross-member that I can't get my head far enough into to see. Can't tell anything by feeling around in there, too cold to try without gloves. A warmer day and I'll try again.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:30 AM   #60
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Bill Hill -

I saw someone else post the location of the cord for the Silverado. Just be careful when you're cutting the tie wraps - I cut off the cap to the plug end. A sharp knife in the hand of a cold man is a dangerous weapon.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote