Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2007, 12:28 PM   #1
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
TO Stabilize or Not to Stabilize?

I read this in an article, 20 stupid things you should never do while rving..
Many argue stabilizing before employing a slide is imperative.
Some say it's not a big deal.
Here is what I know for sure: My 40-foot fifth wheel has a back end that extends well beyond the rear-most axle. I 've learned never to open the main/middle slide without first deploying the rear scissor jacks. I've had the upper corner catch the trailer's inside wall paneling and rip it wide open. The crunching sould was more taxing on my heart than it was on my wallet. A good lesson learned.

So how many stabilize before employing a slide?
how many do not stabilize?

campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I never thought about that but here is our routine. Level side to side, unhook truck, level back to front, rear stabilizers down, power up, hook up water and sewer, deploy slides.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Same as Rich. Then when the tires cool down check the jacks, most of the time they will need to be re-tightened. Stacy
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #4
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
The magazine I read this in is new out...our rv insurance agent sent it to us. It is called RVextreme...has some interesting articles in it. 28 issues 34.95 or 14 issues for $18.95
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Campbud
We almost always do not put the rear stabilizers down on a one nighter. And we have always put the slides out. We did this with our previous fiver also and though it had a lot of other problems, slides was not one of them.
Happy trails..........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I usually level left to right, then front to back, hook up power, sewer and water, tighten the wheel chocks again, open slides then go back and drop rear jacks. If I am staying over night I do not bother getting a campground, just roll into rest area, truckstop or Wal*Mart and hit the sack. Never drop any gear while not in a campground, so far it seems to work for me...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Well, when parked at home...never drop the stabilizers...do unhook from truck with front jacks down, not exactly level but close and run slides out/in at will never had any issues.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I never thought about that but here is our routine. Level side to side, unhook truck, level back to front, rear stabilizers down, power up, hook up water and sewer, deploy slides.
We do exactly what Rich said
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:43 PM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Same as Rich, no problems
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:57 PM   #10
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I do the same as Rich, Glenn and Rick. I do everything outside of the unit before I even open the door to think about extending the slides.

Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #11
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Like the others, everything outside is done before unlocking the door.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I do as Rich and Glenn. and the same when I had my Motorcoach. I think it keeps the slides from binding an/or dragging. And would be worst on a long trailer it seems. just always been my routine.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
stabilizers are the last thing I put down, and I never use them before opening the slides, and have never had any problems in this or previous 5th wheels.I'm not saying this is correct, because it's not....it's just how I do it.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:30 AM   #14
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Getting the trailer off the truck to put out the bedroom slide is my only concern. On ours there at lease an inch of gap around the slides, I hope the frame will not flex that much!
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:40 AM   #15
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We pull in level left and right, Lee enters and takes car of inside when I connect the power she opens up the slides I un-hook level front to rear,water,sewer.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:52 AM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I believe that as long as you are fairly level, both side to side, and front to back, there is no problem in having the slide-outs extended and I believe that most dealerships agree with me.
They all store new units , slides out, and very very few of them will have the rear stabilizers down. These units are open to the public and sometimes you go into a new unit and 3 other couples will be in there. Some of these people are huge so you might have over 1000 pounds of weight moving around inside the unit.

On our long travel days, we try to find a level spot for lunch, put out the slides and relax for a couple hours.
I don't unhook and I don't stabilize the unit for this.

Touch wood, both my slides work well and I have never had any problems. If a Fifth wheel model exists that truly needs the stabilizers out to safely extend the slides I want to know which model, so I make sure I never own one, as this would indicate to me a frame not engineered for the slide. I think all Montanas are fine to have the slides out while the unit is level, and stabilizers are just that, to stabilize your unit, not to add strength to the frame.

I would never jack up a unit with slides extended. This is only my opinion.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:58 AM   #17
refocused
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6586
We stabilize first before putting the slides out - now, we used to have a Layton that said to never put the slides out unless it was level, but our dealer said if we had the Montana in our driveway which has a slight slope that it really wouldn't matter and we could put the slides out anyway - does this sound ok? This would be when it is hitched to the truck -

Suzanne
refocused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 AM   #18
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We normally do as Rich does when parked for more than one night. We do as Parrothead does when on an overnighter, we don't put the rear stabilizers down. Has worked for over six years of fulltiming.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #19
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Question to some of the above replies, why do you hook up external power, water before extending sides?
After I have the trailer level, unhooked, and stabilized, I put out the sides and the wife starts to make the trailer livable inside while I have a cold one while starting to make the inside and outside connection. It is kind of nice to take your time and size up the area and get the necessary tools and equipment while making your home away from home, this way we are both done about the same time and can let the enjoyment begin.
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #20
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Can't speak for anyone else, but that is the routine we have followed from the time we had our first TT. Always plug in power, water, sewer, and cable (if available) before extending slides. We do it the same way every time; that way nothing is forgotten and I don't go "#$%^&*$@ forgot to do ___" after a couple of cold ones.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote