Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2007, 02:14 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Alert! Big Sky Refrigerator

For those of you who are considering the purchase of a Big Sky, be aware that there are apparently two types of refrigerator fronts available. You must add the cherry panels as an option or the rig will come with black panels. See link below.

http://www.rvtraderonline.com/dealer...stTimeout=9999

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #2
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Does that mean that you have ordered it Judy?

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:05 AM   #3
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Nice.

1. Windows are totally different than my 3400 dual panes. Is that what single panes look like.

2. Vertical blinds on the rear window? I think I like that.

3. Cupboards above the desk are smaller and no glass.

4. Whats the shelf(?) by the dining table? Different setup for this table?

5. No stairwell. Change on the entry stairs setup?

6. No overhead cupboards in the LR slide over the table. Not sure I like that - especially from a FTer point of view. Need the storage.

7. I think I like the extra glass in the cupboards over the kitchen counter.

8. Larger dual door fridge is nice. Not sure I like the sacrifice of that little window next to the MW, though. That really brightens up that whole end of the 5ver.

9. Don't like the cupboards by the fridge being both solid wood (bottom) and glass (top). One or the other - "half and half" does nothing for me.

10. New shower insert? Hope it's a ONE PIECE. That reminds me I have to get my caulk back out again...

11. Nice unit. I am interested in the construction details - R ratings, weights, etc. I do like the decals on the outside.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:56 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
No, Helen, we have not ordered one. I was just curious to see if anyone had one on the lot.

Dave, I think the shelf by the dining table is storage for the two extra chairs for the dining table. The table is attached to the wall. Something important that I noticed....there's no cover over the stove top. What's up with that?
Old 01-14-2007, 05:41 AM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Judy--thanks for the link to the interior photos. But a question for you--can you tell us the source of your info that the paneling for the frig has to be ordered as an option? I hadn't heard that before, and the Keystone price sheet I have for the Big Sky does not list the frig paneling as an option.

It's clear that the photos you provided are from a different prototype than the rig in the photos that are on the Big Sky website. I'm just wondering if the prototype without paneling on the frig is one of the early prototypes where they were playing around with that possible option. After all the noise MOC members made about the loss of paneling on the frigs in the Montanas, I can't believe they'd go with non-paneled frigs as standard on the Big Sky. But you never know!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Dave,

Still trying to figure out the table. I think it actually folds away into the wall like a motorhome. It does not appear to facilitate 4 chairs as well as the free standing table.

I also think its sad to loose the kitchen window because of the fridge, but the fridge is huge inside (looked at one in a competitor model), and the convection oven is a full 36" wide. Best part is, it's NOT AN APOLLO!

It appears the wider TV caused the cabinet to grow, reducing the size of the desk overhead cabinets, and probably the desk.

The vertical blinds should be an easy retrofit for any Montana.

I believe there is no change to the construction or R values over the standard Montana.

After seeing what the high end competitors are producing at the RV show this weekend, I think the Big Sky will definately have a place in the market and I believe they have tastefully upgraded the interior. It looks super, inside and out.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We've been to a couple of RV shows as of late and have noticed several different brands are going to the full window looking out from the dining table and eliminating the overhead storage mentioned in previous posts. I have mixed feelings here.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:30 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Brad, I think you're right about the table going into the wall "cabinet" like the motorhomes. That is a nice feature for when you have a group of people over. I hope the pictures are from a prototype. The Big Sky site shows the refrig with the cherry panels and lists it on the equipment but it may not need to be ordered as an option. I'm just thinking that if you don't want the black panels, you need to be SURE that you're getting the cherry.

I've also notice the large window with no overhead cabinets. I just figured those designers don't longtime or fulltime.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #9
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
seams as though I would be upset if I ordered one and didn't know that.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 08:14 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Brad--hadn't heard anything about the brand of the convection oven. Are you sure that it won't be an APOLLO??? If so, that would be great!!! Definitely worth it to me to give up the small window there to get the large frig and the large, non-APOLLO, convection oven.

As for the dinette table, looking forward to not having to crawl around the pedestal getting in and out of the table. Just hope the wall cabinet is strong enough to hold the table up securely over the years. Don't think they are going to store any chairs in the wall cabinet--the prototype shows four normal chairs at the table, not the type of folding chairs that can be stored in a cupboard.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:15 AM   #11
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Judy,

I think you are right on the refrigerator - you probably have to be specific on the order, or this one is a real early one. I did notice they duplicated the chandelier from the entry and put it over the table. It kind of fills the gap from the lack of cabinets.

David,

Kevin, the Keystone rep was telling me it was a full width convention oven. I asked if it was still Apollo - he laughed and said I must be reading the MOC - and no - it is not an Apollo brand. He did not say what brand it was, but he did say Apollo was the only manufacturer that makes the smaller 23-inch version, so they don't have a lot of options to change it yet. As far as the table, they have been in use for a long time in motorhomes, so I'm sure they are strong enough. I think you just lift up and they slide down into the cabinet against the wall.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Most motorhome tables do not fold away. They stay as you see it in the pictures that Judy provided. At least it is this way on the Monaco, Country Coach, Beaver, Essex, and a few other Class A's that I have looked at this past winter. Some can be extended to handle 4 chairs, you lift the table upward from the cabinet and slide it out an additional 6" inches. I have not seen the Big Sky; not sure if the table they used will do this or not.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:07 AM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Does anyone know what size (cubic feet) the fridge is? 10 or 12?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #14
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dave--the brochure says the frig is 12 cubic feet--BIG!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Great! Maybe we could store some FT stuff in the fridge...
Old 01-14-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
The Keystone website states the refrigerator has" Big Sky Cherry Refrigerator Door Panels" as a standard feature.....maybe the one at the show was a prototype?
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:17 PM   #17
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Judy thanks for the pics.
I like the vertical blinds in the back window, but what is with the window on the water closet door? It really has the lay out of the 3400RL just with a bit more options
I think the microwave is a dometic but not really sure.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #18
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Campbud, I think that's a mirror on the water closet door. Did you notice that they've put a towel bar in that room and other towel holders around the sink.

There are smaller microwaves....we have a Dometic.

Judyuk, I think the pictures probably are from a prototype. I also think I read that the shower is one piece.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Judy oh, ok, lol I just didnt see where a window would be nice. lol
I did notice the hidden hinges on the cabinets which would be nice. I have to go back for a look at the towel holders and towel bar ...missed them..lol
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Judy,

Several companies make small microwaves, but Appolo is the only manufacturer that makes the small convection/micro. Our Appolo will be replaced with a micro first sign of trouble.

The bathroom door is mirror inside, fancy glass outside like the cabinets, but you can't see in. However, there is actually an exterior window in the bathroom!

Brad