Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2006, 12:38 PM   #21
Mike Boutet

M.O.C. #4431
I've had one for 3 years now, works great. I have an external speaker and use dual firestik's. The only problem i sometimes have is when picking the unit up to talk, i sometimes push the wrong button and change channels.The mic itself is large compared to other units.I like the weather channel options as well.

Mike Boutet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:54 PM   #22
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I have had the Cobra for two years now. Haveit in my 04 dura. Great range, good volume, eassy to use and the interface is very easy to hide. All you see if my Cobra is the head and cord disappearing into the dash. Love it!
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!!
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #23
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I have had one for 4yrs and it works great the antena is for a 10 meter ham radio and is mounted between the hood and fender
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:42 PM   #24
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Mike, you should have a channel lock button on the head.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:48 PM   #25
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
Thanks John, I've been looking at this same Cobra and Uniden for a while. Your post makes me think the Cobra will work best for me.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:20 AM   #26
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I was having that issue due to hook location when all my stuff was setup for towing. I added a second hook for use when towing...
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:03 PM   #27
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I guess with all the holidays, I won't have my COBRA delivered until this tuesday, I have noticed that most of you have DUAL FIRE STICKS for antenna's. I bought a Wilson a long time ago, and wonder if it is going to work OK with this cobra. It is a single antenna I think the darn thing is every bit of 4 foot high and it has a magnetic base. I guess I will have to rely on NO NECK and MASTER SGT to get this old cop talking right. I also ordered a SWR meter from e bay. When this all come's I guess I will be PMing the heck out of anyone that can help. Years ago while traveling I monitored 19 just to hear about general traffic from truckers, but these modern day truck drivers seem more bent on really nasty language, it's really hard to monitor the channel with your wife hearing all this trash talk, what do you men do???????
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #28
Montana Rog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6103
I got one, love it. Make sure you check the SWR before pushing the transmit button. I like having the weather on it also. I do use the button that switches between 9/19. I use the magnet mount antenna and stuck the wire out the back slider window. I also have the cell phone antenna up there on the back of the cab also. Rog
Montana Rog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #29
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I use a single 4' antenna, the range seems to be pretty good. I monitor channel 19 most of the time although I do have the button that will monitor 2 channels at once. If 19 gets out of control I will switch back and forth with channel 13. I find some of the language funny at times. Really passes the time during those long hauls.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #30
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Don't get me wrong, I am no prude so to speak. When I hit my thumb with a hammer and at my age that is pretty often, The air is blue around me for a few minutes. It just seems that this younger generation of truck drivers are just a different breed, less manners... OR AM I JUST GETTING OLDER, yea Montana Sky sometime's it make's the long miles shorter listening to all those whoa's. And Rog I thought you had to press down the transmit button to check SWR, am I wrong?????
Old 12-31-2006, 02:45 PM   #31
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Rog

I got one, love it. Make sure you check the SWR before pushing the transmit button. -- SNIP-- Rog
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Hemlockusa

--SNIP-- And Rog I thought you had to press down the transmit button to check SWR, am I wrong?????
John, you are correct if you have an in-line SWR meter you have to push the xmit button to send RF down the antenna to measure the Standing Wave Ration. The comment implies do not hold down the xmit button for a long time (over a few second - just enough time to get a meter reading) until you know the SWR is good.
If you xmit with high SWR for long periods the high current generated in the transmitter finals will blow the sold state transistors quickly.

There are meters (high priced - $300) that do not require a xmitter, they generate a low power signal themselves and measure the SWR.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 03:11 PM   #32
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I knew the MASTER SGT would get me right. Thank You John. How many of you really do monitor the CB while making the trip????? If it's just like the FLASHING LIGHT'S Deal, I might be wasteing my time..... I hope not. I think it would be great to find the next fuel stop and also check fuel prices prior to getting off and exit... that would always help on a trip.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:06 PM   #33
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Having the CB is something I do not use often unless I want to communicate with a trucker near by. I have used it to get into the correct lane when I was in the wrong one. Ann does not like the racket so I normally leave it off. If I am in a traffic jam then I find out what is going on by listening to it.
I guess my answer is you can not use it unless you have one installed. There are receivers/scanners that will receiver CB communications without an outside antenna and that is a second option. Of course you can not talk on them. There is also CB hand held which you could use for 1/2 mile communications maybe. The hand held antennas do not receive as far as an outside (properly installed antenna).
Another ham in our camping group was informed on his CB scanner that his trailer tire had blown. They do serve a purpose to communicate with other close motorists. Enough rambling. Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:16 PM   #34
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Hemlockusa,
I have the very same CB and mounted it in the same location as in this picture. My dealership used some black felt to fill in the gap around the CB to give it a finished look. I don't have a digital camera to take a picture of mine, but found this picture on another forum.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/gar...do=big&p=12072
Old 01-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #35
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
As mentioned, Channel 19 is not a pleasant one to monitor...when I'm in a bad mood, trying to get info and some idiot starts on a rant with all sorts of bad language, I'll just key my mic for 10 seconds, check to see if they quit if not, key for 20 seconds...never saying anything, just broadcasting silence.
What we use it for is to find out whats up during traffic issues (same as others have said) and often switch off to an unused alternate channel for communicating with our in-laws who are traveling in their 5er to the same destination.
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #36
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Hey Dave Great Picture and good Idea - I noticed that both you and Master Sargent have not ventured into Kansas = That is according to the displayed map you both have on your PROFILE. I am SORRY about Kansas, but you are allowed to pass through.. The only problem is that it is the one and only State that will charge you ROAD TOLL to pass over it's roads...If you stop of course it's a LOT MORE... Most Folk's find it better to pass through during the cover of darkness. However it you ever get to the point of no return,call me. I am stuck here and will provide you with coffee and directions at NO COST. ha ha Safe Travels John
Old 01-02-2007, 02:15 PM   #37
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,
I do hope to get to Kansas one of these days... When I make it down, you will be the first to know.... =)
Old 01-02-2007, 02:21 PM   #38
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
John we are stuck on the east side of the Mississippi until I retire. I will be working a couple more years now with Ann's illness. I do want to cross into Kansas. Thanks for the invite.
Cheers.