Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Slide toppers - friend or foe?

Just read the thread about last nights wind shreading slide toppers. Then I did a search on slide toppers and found that you gotta use beach balls to eliminate roof top swimming pools and that the material starts to self distruct in short order. On the other hand, without them every bit of gunk in the world will accumulate on the roof of the slide along with all of the rain that ever falls, all to find its way to the inside of the Monty where it will find the shortest distance to the top of my head. I am confused. Are slide toppers really my friend or my enemy?

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I dont have them on this coach, they will be on the next one. In my opinion, they are your friend. Like anything, there is a pro and con to them, I feel they do more good than harm.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
Well, I'm sure others will be along with their opinions, but for right now I would have to say, I wouldn't be without them. I didn't have them on my previous camper and you are so right about the debris coming into the trailer not including water and damp/dew sitting on the top depending on what time of the day you slide them in. Since I do not have "super slide" but instead have two separate slides out back to back I don't get puddling ever. I have four slides, 3 on one side and one on the other side and all have toppers. no problem with the wind or anything else. Thank Goodness!!! As far the material self-destructing, there are many trailers out here with toppers that are a lot older than mine and they look fine. I would suggest if you get them, when you wash your trailer apply UV Protection on them including your patio awning and everything else on your unit, and the entire unit should do you good for a long time. You take of it, and I'm sure it will take care of you. No different than your motor vehicle. my 2cents! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I don't have them right now but we just like this 06 2955RL so much and I keep makimg improvements to make it even better. Some day I think I will go for the slide toppers because after doing a lot of research, I am convinced they do more good than harm and I think they look nice.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:33 PM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Haven't had them on previous rigs, saw no need for them on this one. Yep, stuff accumulates on the roof...I just climb up there and sweep it off before we pull the slides in. As for leaks, at this point, and the wet weather we have endured, I have not seen any leaks. Maybe, in the future, if we get a rig with more cargo capacity, we would get them.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I just have to add my two cents:

I believe it makes a difference if you're a full timer or part timer. As a part timer, I have no real use for them. I don't accumulate a lot of stuff on the roof and I'm not sure they prevent that much. It appears in the light winds, they actually create a pocket to collect more than if you didn't have them at all. I also can't forget watching those folks with thiers self destruct in a very high wind. These weren't old either - the wind was actually bucking the awnings so hard it was tilting in the slides at the top from the tension. They looked like a Spanish Galleon in a hurricane.

As a full timer, they would have benefit. At the very least by keeping the heavy rains and sun off the roof, as well as debris over time.

However: if I were to put them on, I would improve on the factory version to keep my options open. This version keeps you from having to use sporting equipment to keep the water off:

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pd...nal/Summit.pdf

And this one lets you put the slide awning away without bringing in your slide!

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pd...rnal/Omega.pdf

The latter version also opts as a window awning if you prefer.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:56 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Have em, love em, don't like the idea of climbing up there to clean them off every time. Comes down to the old, Personal Preference, again! HA HA, as with so many other of our discussions here at MOC.

When we had 1.5 inches of ice on those slide toppers it rolled right off when we retracted the slides, it scares us to think of what might have happened, if that ice were sitting on top of the slide and we just tried to retract. What forces might that put on the side of the trailer, what would crack first, the filon siding or the ice?? We honestly do not know, but we did think about it after the ice crashed to the ground. (We did not think about ice being up there until we saw it hit the ground, so, we would not have thought to go up there and check the slide tops. GULP!)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys I posted the string on slide toppers and how to keep them safe in the wind. I will say that regardless of if they get torn to shreds, I will only replace them. I like them and will keep them. I have had other units without them and will not own another one without them. I did not mean to start a debate on the reasons for or against. I was merely looking for advice on how to protect a valued asset and hope to save dollars doing it from more experienced people.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #9
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I did not have slide toppers on my first Montana, after a few trips, especially under trees after a rain, I had them installed on that unit. I made sure my new unit had them. I feel they eliminate some problems from possible rain coming in, debris on top of the slides, etc.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Have 'em ...Love 'em... would not be without 'em. Sums it up for us.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:39 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I will add that when it rains, it's pretty noisy in bed without them, if nothing else, I will get one for the bedroom.
Brad, thanks for taking time to post the links.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 02:50 AM   #12
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Native Tex I went through the same winds last week you did and my toppers fared well. I was concerned however for they were flapping pretty good. Having lost power in the stick house, we moved into the trailer for the night. Easier to power on a generator.
This is my first RV with slides, and not having to worry about water and debris when I slide in will make them as necessary on my next RV. I had a RVer tell me that they had a snake come on top of the slide? Do not know how true this is due to how did it get through the seal?
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:00 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think you will find as many cons as pros for the slide toppers, and this applies whether you are full time as we are or are just part timers. I've never had them and see no need for them. We've never had a problem with debris accumulating on top of the slides that we weren't able to sweep off with a broom before bringing them in. As for water accumulating, well we must be very fortunate because we have not thad that problem either. We've retracted our slides during rain storms and outside of dampness on top and sides of the slides, we haven't noticed any problem with water inside the rig. We must have really good seals that squeegee the water off when the slides are retracted.

Here in Lakewood, NM we had a tremendous amount of wind the other day and those people who had the slide toppers were ALL complaining about the noise they created inside the rig during the wind blowing.

Again, if you feel comfortable with them and are willing to replace them when they shred and tear, then by all means use them. They do provide the service of keeping the debris off and quiets the rainfall when you're trying to sleep. Maybe some day I may also want them, but not now.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:44 AM   #14
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I'm with Orv. While the slide toppers have their plusses and minuses, I just don't feel the benefits justify the cost. The slides, like the roof are made to be rained on, and I very seldom have to sweep them. I also don't have a nice place for the birds to build nests.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:14 AM   #15
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
We full time in our rig, and have the toppers. They can be pretty noisy in a windstorm, which we have several of here in Yuma, but we wouldn't be without them. They are great when we are up north, they catch most all the pine needles and leaves, which can really be a pain to clean off the tops. Just our two cents worth.

Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We wouldn't be without them either. It's one of those things that once you have it you don't want to be without. Like a dishwasher and garbage disposal

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:24 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Did you say "garbage disposal"? Do you really have one of those?

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #18
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
We got them for our Wilderness, after being in many rainstorms up in the Northwest, not to mention the ease of getting rid of the wet pine needles. Got them on the new Tana and really works well in the wind. If they rip the insurance will replace them, but after some pretty good winds a couple of weeks ago, the rockers on the awnings kept them good and taught, although they can be a bit noisy, but when the trailer is a rockin, alittle noise isn't bed. Otherwise, a leaf blower is great without the toppers.

barb and bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 09:22 AM   #19
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
I like the slide toppers, had them on the last motorcoach and have them on all 3 slides on the monty. DW an I have fulltimed since 98 an never had a problem so far with them shredding, water will pool on the longest one , and I do have a leaf blower that i blow them off when ready to pull out of camp. will have them on my next camper !
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:40 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I was glad to see this topic started as I was not sure if I wanted slide toppers on our new rig or not but after reading the various comments, both pro and con, I have decided to have them added to our new Monty.

Now I'm gonna start a NEW thread concerning window awnings.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote