Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
improve suspension on Mountaineer FW

I have 05 Mountaineer 348RLS with Tacoma tires. Before next big trip I prefer to put better tires on, plus I'm wondering if it's worth it to put shocks or any other ideas to improve quality and stability. My reasoning is based on wear and tear. That is, less vibration should mean less damage to trailer and appliances etc. How about Good Year marathons. I'm planning on putting Good Year silent armours on truck. I only tow 5000 mi a year. All suggestions welcome. Thanks and God Bless, Ray

ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:18 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
We've had no problems with the Tacoma tires [16"]. We did have alot of problems with 15" Marathon's on another 5er, as a result I won't put them on. You might look into the two replacement options for the rocker assembly between the axles, Trailair and Mor-ride. Check and see if you already have shocks, I don't remember anyone telling about changing stock shocks.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:11 PM   #3
Mels Musty Music
Established Member

M.O.C. #1044
I had Tacoma's on my 2850Rk and thought they were the best tires I have ever had. Never a problem with over 25,000 miles on them. They were much better than the Carlyles (sp.?) I had on an earlier 5er. Seemed like I had a blowout with them every time I turned a corner too sharp. Just my opinion.
Hank
Mels Musty Music is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ray, a lot of rigs have Goodyear Marathons on them. I've had them on four different fifthwheels and will never allow another Marathon on my rig. I never wore out one of those tires. They blew out too soon. Sorry, but this is just my experience. Other folks may have had much better luck with them. The last set of new tires I purchased for our Montana (the one we traded) I went with the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A tire in an LT size. We only have them for a few thousand miles before trading the rig but I rarely got a "few thousand miles" without blowing a Marathon. When I went shopping for the BFG Commercial tire last winter, the Sam's Club installer (McAllen, TX) told me he puts that tire on more RV's than any other tire and that he rarely sees one come in with a problem. There are other good brands out there, too. Maybe you'll have good luck with the Marathon.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #5
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Thanks for the replies. I assumed the Tacomas were cheap tires. I think I run with them a while longer since some of you are having such good luck with them. God Bless, Ray
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote