Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 02:45 AM   #1
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Send a message via AIM to Rudi and Ellen
Tire Pressure During Winter Storage

I know that you're supposed to reduce the tire pressure on the unit during extended storage periods to avoid flat spots. Does anyone know the recommended pressure?

Rudi and Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:12 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Rudi and Ellen,
I don't think I would lower the air pressure for storage. I would put it away with the pressure set the same as if I were towing it. I would also check on it once in awhile to make sure it didn't have a flat. Sitting with a flat for very long WILL ruin the tire.

Several years ago, when most tires were bias ply, they would get flat spots on them from sitting in one position. Depending on temperature, it could happen overnight. With today's radial tires, the thump, thump, thump, of flat spots is a thing of the past. If you are worried about it, set it on blocks with the tires off the ground.

Just my opinion, Glenn or someone else may have more to add.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:17 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I agree with Lonnie, keep the tires at normal pressure and either put on blocks or park on pieces of wood to keep the ground moisture away from the tires.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I agree with Lonnie, park unit with 2x6 or 2x8 under the wheels. I'm not even sure it is necessary to put blocks under axles.
And 8.1 if you don't quit pulling your monti up and down those hills in the picture you are going to tear it apart.
Man that is a pretty site, I could sit and look at that all day.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:37 AM   #5
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Thanks for the info guys. The idea about putting the wheels on wooden blocks, I'm not so sure about. Wood will soak up moisture (from rain/snow)and retain it much more so than the ground...and the moisture can also freeze within the wood. I think I'll just keep them inflated on the driveway. Thanks again.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Phil, I had a heck of time getting up that hill but boy was the ride down wild. That's Cedar Breaks in Utah. What a beautiful state.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:44 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I put my coach away for winter with 80 psi in all 4 tires. Also put max pressure in each of the other trailers tires I have as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 06:45 PM   #8
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
A trucker friend who does a lot of RVing suggested that I put the trailer on blocks to take the load off the tires and reduce the tire pressure by about half. He says this reduces the stress on the tires and extends their life (but not beyond the magical 6 year limit). I think I've heard that recommendation before, but not recently.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Advise from an old tireman-----------
Back when we had bias ply NYLON cord tires we had flat spotting on tires that sat for any length of time. Even in the winter on a particularly cold night we had flat spotting. It was like driving on a washboard until the tire heated up enough to round themselves out again. This may be what these folks are referring to but with the advent of polyester cord and radial ply tires the flat spotting no longer occurres. Many years ago they recommended REMOVING the tireand wheels and storing them in a cool dark spot in the basement. Even away from florescent lighting. With the new rubber compounds and construction most all of that advise has gone away.
Storing any vehicle DOES NOT require anything special being done to the tires.
Blockage---As far as placing something under the tires during storage, I would want something under them if I was sitting on soil. Be it dirt or grass but only to keep them clean or to stop the tires from settling into a rut. On hard packed gravel or stone or concrete I would do nothing.
Tire covers---If you feel it necessary you can cover them for protection from light but covered or not a tire will begin to show signs of age with 5 to 7 years. Personally I wouldn't bother covering any tire and again I would use that money for something I really want.
Air Pressure---Tires should ALWAYS be inflated to the proper air pressure and storage doesn't change that. Store your vehicle, TV or trailer, at the same tire pressure as when you are driving/towing that vehicle. For the first month I would check the tire pressure weekly. If they were found to have no leaking during the first month than I would begin to check the pressure monthly.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
Rudi and Ellen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4441
Thanks Glenn! That' sounds like good advise from an old tired man. If you remember, we were going to meet in Florida last year. But apparently both of us had changes in our plans. You had mentionsd that you were origionally from Reading. We're from Mount Joy, near Lancaster. Maybe we'll run into each other this year. We'll be staying in Fort Myers for 2 month (starting in mid January) and 1 month at Beverly Beach (south of St. Augustine)thereafter.
Thanks again for the great update on tires...and Happy Travels!
Old 11-20-2006, 01:48 AM   #11
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Glenn, thanks for some more great advice. I have been doing what you said for years but it is nice to hear from pros like you and Lonnie that we are doing it right. Take care.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote