Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2006, 06:58 AM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
How would you set up on a permanent site?

If you were to park your Montana in a CG for a year, what types of things would you do as preventative measures?

I had read on another RV forum where someone mentioned they had put there RV on blocks, had jacked the tires up and then sat them on boards (I believe this is what I read - I have CRS too ) and also put wheel covers on the tires. However, we realize the tires are going to get dry rot from sitting a long period of time regardless. We wouldn't want to do anything that could potentially bend the frame or axles. We want to do what would be best for the Montana in this type of situation.

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
When we set up in Florida for the winter (typically 6 months plus) we back both sides of the rig onto 3/4 inch plywood. That of course is in addition to any blockage required to level side to side. Our stabilizers and front jacks are always on blocks regardless of length of stay. By pulling or backing onto your blockage you will be doing no damage to the frame. However placing a jack in the incorrect location and you can very possibly bend the frame or axles.
Wheel covers are your option but I feel, like so many RV accessories, they are a total waste of money. RV tires should be replaced about 5 to 7 years due to weathering, dry rot if you will, and using wheel covers is not going to change that. About all the covers will do is make your set up look neater.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sandi, we have done just that - set up for a year or more. We did nothing special and came out fine. We were not in freezing weather for any length of time - just overnight occassionally. Most of the time we were on cement or pavement but sometimes on dirt or gravel. As Glenn said tires need replacing regardless. We did put our drain hose on supports but even that did not stop the fact they wear out over time.
Happy trails..............................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #4
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Thanks so much! Husband also puts painted blocks of wood he has made for under the stabilizers and tongue of our travel trailer. We also have the "Lego's" to drive up on to level. Good idea about putting boards under all tires (and more as needed to level) for a long stay like we may be looking at. We will probably be on a grass/dirt site for a whole year since they don't offer cement pads at the CG that will be most convenient for us.

Where are the correct places to place the portable types of jacks used for more stabilization (or where shouldn't you place them??)?

I would want husband to build a deck with railing and gate (so our doggies could walk around on it when we are outside on the deck. I would even love to actually have husband build an enclosed "porch" with lots of screens and windows that would keep out the snow in the winter (but not sure how we could move that when the time came - lol).
Old 09-28-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Here's a link to my Stabilizing page that pretty much explains where the jacks should be...http://fulltimingit.irv2.com/stabilizing.html

There are screen rooms available through Camping World
Not sure how they would work under a snow load
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:01 AM   #6
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I looked into screen rooms on line and the ones I found were not suited for snow loads (unfortunately) but understandably so. There are some nice ones out there though and would be great where it didn't snow (which is where I would most prefer to be but cannot unfortunately).

Will check that link out you provided. Thanks so much!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
My unit is sitting on a concrete pad so I have one side leveled with legos and the other tires are sitting roofing shingles (one layer). At this park they do not authorize anyone to put their units on blocks. They want the units to be able to be mobile if for some reason they need the trailer moved. Even though are permanent spots here, they don't want them on blocks or have permanent patio awnings unless they can slide out and detach from the unit. I have my tires covered but I do agree with the 5 year mark. The trailer I had before had new tires put on in 2000 and I traded it in earlier this year but tread was good and i had no problems with them. But regardless the tires would have needed replaced if I kept it cause you just don't know how bad the inside is deteriorating. Many folks cover their A/C which I have one of mine covered, because I plan on using the other A/C (heat strip) this winter for some circulation in the bedroom. Also, most folks treat their rubber roof with UV protection and conditioning, or a least clean it really good before the winter sits in and may wax or wipe the exterior down with UV protection like 303 Protectant. Windows you can use Frost King clear stretchable plastic, which I bought but haven't installed it yet ;-( (but i will soon). Another thing I plan to do is attach a PVC pipe to sewer line and get some heat tape and pipe insulation for the water hose, and seal any holes with expandable spray foam insulation and I will be ready for the winter (I hope) Good Luck to you! Allison
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote