Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2006, 03:10 PM   #21
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
f/f thx for the info,i will be checking my propane system asap.once again thx.

Mike&Amy
Petaluma, calif
2005 2955RL
2006 Dodge Ram
Mascot: Parfait The Lab

mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 PM   #22
Mike and Wendy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1148
The green/red bulb is to show LP flow, not if the tank is empty or full.With the auto switch over you have to have the lever pointed to one tank or the other. If it is green, the tank the lever is pointed to has gas flow. If it is red, the tank the lever is pointing to is empty. Ex. the lever is pointing to door side, if it is green the tank has a gas flow. If it is red, door side tank is empty and it has automatically switched to off-door side tank.

Mike and Wendy Mckenna
2001 F350 ,diesel,4x4,crewcab,SB,SRW, Remote start
2005 Montana Big Sky 3670RL, MOR/ryde hitch pin,Kwikee electric step
Mike and Wendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Brad, if the red/green bulb you are talking about is the one mounted on top of the regulator and has a black cap over it, then it's not really upstream of the regulator. It is part of the regulator and changes to red when the primary (the selected) tank's pressure drops below a certain point. That could be because of an empty tank or perhaps a restriction in the line. Or a faulty regulator on rare occasions. The red mini-regulator is on the line from the other side's tank and apparently is used because some of us had problems with our older rigs that did not have the extra regulator. If we opened the tank valve too quickly the safety valve in the tank thought there was a leak and shut off the propane flow from that tank. That's because of the long run from that tank to the regulator sometimes fooled the safety valve. I don't know if I'm making any sense. No, the 2003 models do not have the little red regulator.

FuntimeFollies, thanks for the headsup on this. Any time something like this comes up I think it's a great idea to post about it. Could you tell me more about the relief hole in case of a diaphragm failure? Is that where it was spewing propane?

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Steve - Yes its the red/green indicator above the selector - thats above the regulator. I guess I meant upstream because the two tank lines feed into it (high pressure) then that feeds the regulator (changes to low pressure) which feeds the one line for the appliances. (I don't have the red regulator on the other side).

My green/red indicator was going back and forth between red and green by itself - I wasn't touching anything. When the furnace would light, it would slowly change to red, then the furnace flame would go out and try to relight automatically. Slowly the red would change to green and the flame would light. It cycled like this for about 20 minutes. When I kicked on the hot water tank, both appliances failed. It was kind of wierd - but I'm sure I must have had something in the line causing restricted flow or something. The appliances were starved for fuel, but weren't getting what they needed. Everything started working after I swapped tanks between the left and right sides a few times. Either something caught in the tank connection - or oil in the lines from bad fuel.

FULLTIMEFOLLIES! Don't QUIT! I appreciated your post, and I will get another regulator as you suggest. I've had them go bad plenty of times - usually when it was cold.

Brad
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #25
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
While we are talking about propane valves here is something I learned a few months back when I got recertified to fill propane bottles on mobile equipement. I have always opened valves fully and then turn them a half turn back so they are easy to figure out when you go to close them.
According to the Instructer on this course, propane valves are made to open fully and leave fully opened as there is another seal that only works when the valve is kept fully open.

I now do this on my Montana but I never used to with other RVs I had and I never had a problem.
This course is put on by the Propane Training Institute and they even give a toll free number on the back of my plastic wallet card. It is 1 877 PTI-INFO so if anyone wants to talk to experts on propane tanks.............there you be.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #26
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Hi All,
Sadly to say, I think we just lost a member who felt slammed after contributing some great information to the forum. His intentions were great but some of the comments, however factual they were to the person making them, were not well received. We have to remember what this forum is all about and lets keep it that way!

Thanks,
Tom

Tom & Nancy
TV: 2005 Silverado HD-2500 Crew-cab Duramax/Allison

5er: 2005 2955rl

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I hope not. That is the kind of information that keeps most of us on this forum..Besides a diversity of opinion stimulates discussion. You got to have a thick skin in cyber space..keep on posten..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #28
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Yes I have been the victim of a personal rant in the past and the ranter even had a cheerleader.LOL. You have to have a thick skin to keep posting like Rich says.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #29
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Our regulator failed and leaked in about six months of use. It was replaced by a dealer. If this is a wide spead problem, then Keystone should change vendors.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote