Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2006, 04:35 AM   #1
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Safety, & Convience matter for Montana owners

Moderator, if you feel this needs to be moved, please do so. I post it here for hope that most will read it.

We purchased our Monty in April this year, 3500rl.

A few days ago, while cooking in the oven, the fire went out. No biggie , just go switch tanks. I did , relit the oven, and a few minutes later, propane began to fill the air in the Monty. I went out to check and on the passenger side tank, the little red gas regulator appeared to have a leak , as propane was streaming from what appeared to be the hose connectin end to the regulator. I immediately shut off all propane. Took the valve off, saw nothing wrong with it. Re teflon taped the hose and hooked back up. Still leaking. Next day went to local rv shop, they did not have the proper valve, so I called 4 Monty dealers within a 100 mile range. No one had it in stock. Finally called one and order it, to be shipped in 4-8 working days. No biggie , I got a gas grill I can cook on.

Moral of this story: It appears that Keystone uses a India made valve that cost from 12-24 bucks and EVERY dealer I called said they last a short while as the diapram (sp) fails quiet often.

You may want to order one and keep on hand , as it is my understanding that these fail all the time.

FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 04:41 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, good to know. I wonder why you smelled it inside? I guess Propane stinks so much, and it sounds like a big leak.
I'll look at mine.
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 05:08 AM   #3
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Actually I called 4 gas companies looking for the same thing. At one rv store, I bought a better , or they say, valve and tried to use it, but the space limitation voided that idea. And Ozz, we were lucky I think, in that we had all the doors and windows open and the propane came in thru the front door, or so I assume.
There is a little relief hole on the side bottom part of the valve that is there just for the purpose of diaphram failure. Good thing I guess. I did order two, lol, to be safe.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:15 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, it is good, I have had to plumb that vent all the way to the outside on many instances. I perform the insurance companies' punch list, when they inspect boilers, that is one requirement there, you can see the problem if you have a 3" or 4" gas line, and the regulator that it feeds ruptures, Ouch!
In restaurants, the commercial fryers main break down, is just the grease falling behind the fryers and building up on the weep holes, then the gas pressure drops, and....no french fries. I just replace the regulator, and try and cover it with a metal plate so it doesn't get greasy again, but still allows it to adjust automatically.

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish, LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge, LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets, On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat, Hadley Air Horns, Truck inverter with 110 volts: laptop, Color Backup camera, Firestone air bags,Husky air ride roller hitch, Awning lock
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
John,

Did you have to replace the whole assembly (tank selector valve & regulator), or just the pressure regulator below it?

Brad & Dory

[img]http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniWeather2_cond/language/www/US/CO/Littleton.gif" border=0
alt="Click for Littleton, Colorado Forecast" height=50 width=150[/img]

2003 2955RL - 5.5KW LP Gen - great for the lake!
2006 F350 Stroker Lariat towmoter - love the trans shift and integrated brake controller.
'95 SeaRay 200BR named Dam-It - occassional tow buddy

I ain't as good as I once was - but I'm as good once as I always was - Toby Keith
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 06:32 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I just can't pass up the opportunity to say this..I tried, I really tried.." But the cheap low quality regulator is not a keystone problem..it is a vendor problem..."

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
No I only have to replace the red valve, the other main valve is on the other side.

Keystone chooses to buy their valves from a manufacturer in India, as I stated above, Moral of this story: It appears that Keystone uses a India made valve that cost from 12-24 bucks and EVERY dealer I called said they last a short while as the diapram (sp) fails quiet often.

While I appreciate everything that Keystone does to hold down or reduce the cost of our Montys, I only posted this to notify of what I feel is a or could be a problem. I had no intentions of slamming Keystone. However, Keystone makes the decison of what parts they choose to use. Not anyone else.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks John - no offense taken here.

My 03 must have a different setup, as I don't have a red valve, just the automatic switchover valve with the regulator under it.

Old 09-08-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
bsmeaton: You don't have the little bulb on top of the switchover valve that is either red or green? Interesting. How do you know which tank you are working on or if one is empty?

If you can't play a sport....Be one.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
John: Can you post the make or number of the part so I can order one. I have to spoon feed my dealer.

If you can't play a sport....Be one.

Bill and Ann
Napanee, Ontario, Canada
2004 3670RL Big Sky
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Short Bed
20K.Reece Hitch
Duramax/Allison
Prodigy Controller

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:09 PM   #11
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Thanks for the heads up John. That's a GOOD thing to know. I will be checking periodically.

[IMG] http://tinypic.com/j8lbg9
.jpg[/IMG]
Rick and Phyllis Trent,
2004 Chevrolet 2500HD/Duramax/Allison,exhaust brake.
2004 Monty 3280RL/slide toppers,sleep comfort bed. Full Timers since January 2006!
Gizmo the dog who thinks he's a Great Dane
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:14 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
One bad regulator is not cause for everyone to panic and run out and buy a new regulator. I've had mine for 3 years and others many more and to date no problems. Every product ever manufactured occasionally does have a lemon and it don't matter if it's made in India or Indiana. If I ran out and bought a spare whatever everytime someone had a like whatever fail I'd have a trailer full of whatevers. One bad apple does not spoil the whole bunch.

OK I'll get off my

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
ldunning
Established Member

M.O.C. #5692
It sounds like you have the "new and improved" propane valve set up. I have the automatic switch valve with the regulator mounted below it. I notice that you did not mention the propane detector going off. I don't like to think of bad valves and a bad detector on the same coach.

2000 F-250 4wd Hypertech
4" exhaust Gauges K&N
2006 2955rl
ldunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Al had to replace something around our regulator not long ago, it was such a slow leak that for months he could not find it, even with bubbles and one of those electronic sniffers. Not sure what part it was, sorry.

But, we have replaced parts before on regulators and hoses and stuff. It happens.

I don't understand the propane detector in the unit not going off either. Hey, there is a first for everything.

Cheers, Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
You ever get the feeling you should not have said anything ?
Old 09-08-2006, 01:19 PM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
If troubles are not reported on the forum, our learning curve would be way down. Sharing is what we do best, IMHO.

Safety is never best left unsaid.

We all put our two cents (or more) worth in, and hopefully we all come away a bit wiser.

Do you have any idea why that propane detector did not go off?? If you could smell the gas, it should have, even with the windows and doors open it should have gone off. That is real serious business, maybe you should check the detector, maybe it is bad too. Hate to have that thing fail in the middle of the night when you are sleeping and the rig is shut up tight. That could have less than desireable results.

Or did it ring its loud and annoying alarm and you just did not mention that in the original portion of this thread?? Lets hope it was this scenerio.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Hi Bill (by the way- beautiful Big sky)

I DO have the red/green bulb on top. I was just confused about the Red valve fulltime was talking about. I don't have that.

I was curious anyway as I was having trouble last weekend with mine. I replaced a cylinder and turned on the furnace. I watch the little bulb change from green to red - green to red - while the furnace lit - failed, lit - failed. Almost like it wasn't pressurizing enough to feed the furnace. Thought maybe I had a bad regulator, but the green/red bulb is upstream of the regulator so I ruled that out. Works now anyway - not sure what the problem was (air or oil in the line maybe).

By the way - the detector only sees the propane around 50% of the Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) or about 3% in air. That odor in the LP is so pugnent - I think you smell it WAY before you can get any detectable levels of LP in the air. The LP is heavier than air, but the odorizer is not (or nobody would detect it unless they were on the ground). Most of the LP should have dumped straight out the bottom of the cabinet to the ground level.

Brad
Old 09-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FulltimeFollies

You ever get the feeling you should not have said anything ?
Absolutely not and neither should you or anyone else. If I am the one that put that doubt in your mind I whole heartedly apologize but as you will find out I quite often have to say what I feel. The wonderful part of this forum is that everyone can voice their opinion which is exactly what both of us did and you nor I should want it any other way.
You definitely put out a legitimate warning in your post and I just felt it wasn't that great an occurrence to go out and invest in a spare unit you may never need.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:35 PM   #19
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I just checked my unit and the "red color regulator" is installed above the tank on the passenger side. If you have one, you can't miss it. It's located in the other propane storage area that doesn't have the green/red indicator device. The model number is GR-618 in case anyone needs it. After a thorough inspection, the threaded ends to both sides of my "red regulator" are tight as a whistle and they are secured with "plumbers/gas line tape". So i'll let it be. Thank you for the warning!

2006 Montana 3500RL, MorRyde Suspension, W/D, 2nd A/C, Fantastic Fans, MaxxAir, Fireplace, RotoChocks, Slide Awnings. 2005 Ford F350 Lariat LE, PSD 4x4 Dually, Long Bed, C-Betr Mirrors, Vortex Spray-In Liner, Access Tonneau Cover, Remote Starter/Alarm, LED Running Board Lights
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:58 PM   #20
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Before I said a word, or even thought about posting on here about this item. I talked to Keystone customer service, Keystone parts, four different Montana dealers. Each and every one INCLUDING Keystone parts, advised me to get two of them as they were in short supply, since so many were failing. Of course they dont or wont sell to a RETAIL buyer, so back to the dealer for the parts, I ordered two, you do what you want. .

Please erase my moc 5656, I dont need it.