Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2006, 07:35 AM   #21
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
There is no correlation between model numbers and length on Montanas. Our 2955RL is a little over 33' measured from front cap (it is further out than the hitch) to the ladder on the back.

Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #22
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
See... this is why I really don't go on rv.net too often. This is NOT the info they are throwing out there. "NOTHING OVER 30' IN LENGTH, OR WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!" OK, that may be a bit over-dramatic, but that's the general concensus on a recent thread. They are telling campers that they will have a terrible time getting in many parks with anything over 30'. Maybe some National Parks, but I believe they are over doing it just a bit.

I'll go by the info here on MOC. Always has been the best, and most acccurate.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:29 PM   #23
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Yor right Dave, So many people get hung up on that "LENGHT" thing and forget about everything else.for example: my 3650RK is over 1000lbs heavier and four feet longer than the 3295RK and yet has a lighter pin weight. People need to research before they panic.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 06:33 PM   #24
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Darn it,,, I mean LENGTH. by the way I have had my unit in three seperate parks in the last 18 months with no LENGTH problems. Sadly though, I have had to have someone else pull it. (not home yet,soon though)
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 01:19 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If folks are having problems with length and width issues at CG it is mostly, if not all their own fault.We have all sorts of reference guides to get us in the ballpark then there is something called the CELL PHONE or you can even use your PC to CALL ahead and TELL the CG exactly what your specifications are. Example...ring, ring Hello C.G this is Rich& Helen we are heading your way and should be in at about 6PM. We are in a 38 Foot Montana 3400RL with 4 slide outs being pulled by a F-350 Ford CC long bed truck., We would like a pull through site with full hookups, can you accommodate us. Yes , thank you here is our Card Number..No..thank you.. Next CG..ring ring..... Our choice but we usually stay away from, State, national C'G's.We will use them if there is no other option.Most of them are overcrowded and do not have full hookups.There are some very good ones of course..this is just our choice..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:08 AM   #26
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
We have been fulltiming for nearly two years in our 3380RL --- no problems with length -- think when Les mesured we were nearly 39' long. The slides are what we have to watch for and also we check the height -- those low hanging tree branches can be a problem sometimes. As someone else said we often look for "Big Rig Friendly" parks -- we enjoy the extra space they offer. Enjoy your rig ---- there are plenty of parks out there that can accomodate us.

Julie
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:44 AM   #27
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Les and Julie, your website is great! As is your choice of a Montana! Don't we have good taste?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

If folks are having problems with length and width issues at CG it is mostly, if not all their own fault.We have all sorts of reference guides to get us in the ballpark then there is something called the CELL PHONE or you can even use your PC to CALL ahead and TELL the CG exactly what your specifications are. Example...ring, ring Hello C.G this is Rich& Helen we are heading your way and should be in at about 6PM. We are in a 38 Foot Montana 3400RL with 4 slide outs being pulled by a F-350 Ford CC long bed truck., We would like a pull through site with full hookups, can you accommodate us. Yes , thank you here is our Card Number..No..thank you.. Next CG..ring ring..... Our choice but we usually stay away from, State, national C'G's.We will use them if there is no other option.Most of them are overcrowded and do not have full hookups.There are some very good ones of course..this is just our choice..
This is great info, Rich! Very deep stuff! I'll bet it works, too.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #29
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
I'm not sure but I remember seeing somewhere that the published length is the inside usable length, so a "32 ft." rig would come out to around 35 ft. when you measure from the end of the hitch to the end of the ladder and take into consideration the thickness of the walls.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #30
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
That would make sense Sweetfire. The brochure for the 3400RL claims 37'1" and the kingpin to ladder is 39'7" on mine. Glad the garage is 40' or I would be in for some trouble.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:39 PM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm the 3400 is nearly 40 feet long..nice to know..with the truck we will be over 60 feet long, of couse some of that will be over the truck bed.We were 53 feet long with our previous Tv and camper. Something to get used to...
Old 02-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Garin1

Darn it,,, I mean LENGTH. by the way I have had my unit in three seperate parks in the last 18 months with no LENGTH problems. Sadly though, I have had to have someone else pull it. (not home yet,soon though)
Garin1, no offense meant but since we're talking about getting into tight spaces I need to clarify your numbers. I think your 3650RK is probably heavier coming out of the factory door than is the 3295RK but the 3295RK has both a very high carrying capacity and the highest GVWR of all Montanas. Thus it can be loaded more heavily. Your GVWR is 14,000. The new 3295RK GVWR is 14,485. Our 2003 model has GVWR of 14,300. A CAT scale says ours weighs 14,360, which is 60 lbs more than the GVWR of a 3650RK. Also, the specs show the 3650RK being exactly 2 feet longer than the 3295RK. I can't tell you actual length on yours but would guess 38' or a bit more. Ours measures actual length of 36' 4". So they are actually very close in length and weight.

Again, no offense meant. Just wanted to point out that if we can get our 3295RK in a site you probably can get the 3650RK in there also unless we're maxed out in a site. Then you might not.

Our actual pinweight is 3,300 lbs. I, too, do not understand why the big difference in pinweight among models.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:03 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

I'm not sure but I remember seeing somewhere that the published length is the inside usable length, so a "32 ft." rig would come out to around 35 ft. when you measure from the end of the hitch to the end of the ladder and take into consideration the thickness of the walls.
I still have Coleman Davis' email address so just now emailed him to see if he can shed some light on how model numbers are selected. Will let you know what I hear back.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #34
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

Hummm the 3400 is nearly 40 feet long..nice to know..with the truck we will be over 60 feet long, of couse some of that will be over the truck bed.We were 53 feet long with our previous Tv and camper. Something to get used to...
I'd guess you'll be under 55 feet. I've not measured total rig length on ours. Has anyone done that? If so, what truck model/cab/bed configuration and what model Montana?
Old 02-21-2006, 09:05 AM   #35
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Steve, we figure we are running about 53 feet, the length of a 18 wheeler box trailer. With the measurements we got on Montana sitting in our drive, length of GMC Big Butt and allowing for the hitch over the bed, that is about what we figure. Have to say, we never pulled a tape measure on it when all connected.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #36
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Here's Coleman's reply. Thanks to Coleman (I know you read these) for the prompt response.
---
When we draw a new floorplan we have to assign it a model number before we can insert it into production. This is for accounting purposes only. So we try to make a close approximation of what the final length of the unit will be. However, we tend to try and pack a 40 footer into a 30 footer. Somehow we always end up being longer then we wanted. So the model number should always be close to the total length, but is never exact. Hope this helps somewhat.
Old 02-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:

I'd guess you'll be under 55 feet. I've not measured total rig length on ours. Has anyone done that? If so, what truck model/cab/bed configuration and what model Montana?
A DODGE 1 ton CC LB hooked up to a 2005 3670 is just about right at 53 feet.That is not a exact absolute measurement but very close.We took that measurement last summer and I remember thinking that is just about what we are with our Cheby and TT.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:40 PM   #38
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My coach at basically 40' + my truck at 21'= 61' - approx 3.5' of coach over bed of truck = 57.5' long.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 07:42 PM   #39
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
We have found a lot of old rv parks can't handle our large rigs. Also many National Parks have limitations on length. However, we enjoy our large coach and we look for newer rv parks that can handle our size.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 02:51 PM   #40
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
i believe that Montana Sky said that his 3400 was 39 feet 1 inch long..he is exactly right. Helen and I put the tape on one here at the RV show.ladder to pin box.....39 feet 1 inch..so much for the published specs...