Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 AM   #41
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:freezing pipes???
What's That???

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:11 AM   #42
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
We are finally warming up as we just arrived at New Waverly, Tx and it feels sooo good. It should get up to around 70 today.....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 08:05 AM   #43
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You know, Glenn... the first time it hit's near 30 degrees there (I know the record is 30, in 1957 there in Seminole, but this could be the year, with all this strange weather), you are certainly setting yourself up for a TON of "Ha Ha's!". Not from me, because I would NEVER take advantage, or laugh at someone else's misfortune, but some of these guys who are getting hammered right now by all this cold weather might try to rub it in a little.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 AM   #44
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well back in the winter 03/04 over by Kissimmee we did get down to 34. Woke up that morning freezing my "you know what" off. The black tonneau cover on the TV was completely covered in frost. Actually thought it had snowed until closer inspection.

But these guys wouldn't make fun of me, would they? Naw, this ain't that kinda crowd. Is It? Rub it in?? Naw, you're puttin me on. Aint ya??

Well just is case, I want to apologize to everyone out there who are getting hammered by all this ice, snow and cold weather. I really do feel for ya'll.

How's that Dave?? Ya think they bought it????
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:20 AM   #45
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

My plans were to leave this morning, northern Ill, for Christmas in Mesa Az. My de-winterizing spot is going to be W.Memphis Ark. at the ABC campground. Departure has been set back until Friday, currently freezing temps along with freezing rain and snow all the way down into Dallas Fort Worth. It is supposed to start warming up on Friday as the front moves east. I really feel for Steve R. in Kansas, I havent seen him post today but they are supposed to get about 6 inches of snow. I will sure be glad to get out of this frozen tundra, it was 5 below here this morning.
Bill
Bill, that 6 inches turned into 12 inches! It was beautiful coming down and when fresh. But it was not great to walk through to the showerhouse while we were frozen up (my fault, another thread). Hope you folks are headed south by now (haven't read the rest of the thread yet.)
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #46
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

Well it finally did it IT FROZEN, All the water lines are frozen, I lost the bathroom sink night before last and had all the others working and this morning -10 no water. so back to the drawing board this is what they say is the coldest i colorado in 5 years, I think my low point drains that hang out are frozen I put insulation in and on them but I guess not enough.
I found insulating the low point drains is not enough. However, heat tape surrounded by insulation and covered with duct tape does keep the low point drains from freezing down to at least zero F. At least they did not freeze on us this winter. We had other freezing problems though but not the low point drains.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27 AM   #47
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lstierw

I guess i need to stop complaining about the weather also. It did get to around 40 today. Steve and Vicki certainly have it much worse.....and we will be moving on to hopefully warmer weather...Les and Sue
Three weeks from today we head south. Just three more weeks...
The weather for the past few days has been far better. Most of the snow is gone, got the truck washed today, etc.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #48
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

Moving to Montana last month was a real eye opener...At first it wasn't that bad. Then that darned cold snap hit. Last Wednesday it was -45 in Yellowstone. It was -20 in Kalispell. It really isn't that bad. Once it says minus in front of the degrees, it all feels the same....
Kathi, we made several nights worth of middle of the night trips to the shower/bathhouse, about 75 yards one way, at temperatures ranging from about 15 to minus 3! Talk about being wide awake on return! Does anyone know if enough shivering will cause a weight loss?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:35 AM   #49
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sweetfire

Not too much snow in our part of Idaho, but man, has it been cold (for here) in the single digits at night for about a month now. Aren't you guys that are having the freezing pipes worried about them breaking? I'd be freeking out.
We've frozen them in each of the last three winters but in isolated spots, I think. These pipes tend to stretch, which helps keep them from splitting, but if it got bad enough they probably would split. So far they haven't. I hope between all we've done to keep them from freezing and if I can avoid dumb mistakes like I made this winter maybe they'll never freeze again.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 AM   #50
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Someone put on here that they replaced the low drains w/ freeze proof facets, has any one got some info on that I'm thinking about doing that to keep from using heat tape?
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #51
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

But these guys wouldn't make fun of me, would they? Naw, this ain't that kinda crowd. Is It? Rub it in?? Naw, you're puttin me on. Aint ya??

Well just is case, I want to apologize to everyone out there who are getting hammered by all this ice, snow and cold weather. I really do feel for ya'll.

How's that Dave?? Ya think they bought it????
That was pretty smooth, Glen. I think you're safe... unless they read this...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:09 PM   #52
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lstierw

I guess i need to stop complaining about the weather also. It did get to around 40 today. Steve and Vicki certainly have it much worse.....and we will be moving on to hopefully warmer weather...Les and Sue
Three weeks from today we head south. Just three more weeks...
The weather for the past few days has been far better. Most of the snow is gone, got the truck washed today, etc.
You can wash your truck??? I finally broke down (cheapest wash) and washed my car. 100 yds down then it was starting to turn black again. That's OK... I just couldn't stand it anymore. But it's kinda like taking $5 and burning it. We have had slush on the road every day since Thanksgiving. Thank goodness most of the time our cars are so covered with snow that you can't see all the dirt and salt.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:14 PM   #53
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Kathi

Moving to Montana last month was a real eye opener...At first it wasn't that bad. Then that darned cold snap hit. Last Wednesday it was -45 in Yellowstone. It was -20 in Kalispell. It really isn't that bad. Once it says minus in front of the degrees, it all feels the same....
Kathi, we made several nights worth of middle of the night trips to the shower/bathhouse, about 75 yards one way, at temperatures ranging from about 15 to minus 3! Talk about being wide awake on return! Does anyone know if enough shivering will cause a weight loss?
Yeah... I believe that's called DEATH, Steve. I'll check my college biology text book, though... Can lose a lot of weight on that program, but no one really wants to be around you.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:44 PM   #54
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
For the past almost 3 full weeks now the temps have not reached 28 degrees. I am glad the coach is in the garage for winter, but I am sure tired of plugging the diesel in every night. Looked at the weather forecast and no end of freezing temps in sight. We had approx 12" of snow 3 weeks ago and they did not get out and plow until it was too late. Now all side streets are covered in ice, since they plowed all the traction snow away finally. Sure cant wait to get back above freezing sometime soon.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:54 AM   #55
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Here in North Texas we got down to 8 degrees last weekend. Last Thursday a town in southern Oklahoma about 15 miles from me hit 1 degree.
I guess we could blame all this on George Bush. He probably did something stupid that caused all this. Alot of people blamed him for Katrina and the Levees, etc. (Just kidding).

Looking forward to next spring and my trailer travels.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 07:50 AM   #56
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dannyl, I'm tellin' ya... it's that doggone secret government weather Machine... which I guess could be tracked back to President Bush...
Old 12-13-2005, 08:01 AM   #57
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Hearing all of these cold weather reports makes me glad to live here in Georgia. The lows have been around freezing of late and the highs in the mid-50s. The weathermen ARE forecasting some cold weather coming in tomorrow, but highs might still be around mid-40s.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 PM   #58
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Update: Arrived in Van Horn Tex today at the KOA with free Wi-Fi so I could get back on line. It was sure nice to get out of that cold and snow. The ice didnt melt off the Monty until West Memphis. The weather has been great since then and the trip has been uneventful until tonight. The valve in the toliet stuck and overflowed into the basement, thank goodness it was only fresh water and it will dry out by the time I get to Mesa. Iam sure this is an ongoing problem with sawdust in the water lines, and a piece got stuck in the valve. When I read about your problems Steve R. I cant complain to much, at least it is not freezing.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 03:30 AM   #59
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well, old man winter hit the north central Georgia area, as was promised. We woke up this morning to freezing rain coating all of the trees, including our infamous and spindly Georgia pines. So far, there have been no difficulties, and I will remain cautiously optimistic that no power lines go out.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:53 AM   #60
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bob & Lee

Someone put on here that they replaced the low drains w/ freeze proof facets, has any one got some info on that I'm thinking about doing that to keep from using heat tape?
I don't know anything about that but it sounds possible. You'd want the ones where the valve itself would be up in the belly with the long shank coming down below the belly.

The part of the low point drains that is below the bellypan can freeze without causing a problem. It's when they freeze hard enough to freeze up to where they tee into the water lines that it shuts off water flow. A few minutes with a hairdryer solved this for us the first time (thanks to advice from RC and Samantha). Heat tape solved it permanently. Our freezing problems this winter were because of my mistakes. The second blast of cold weather we are currently in has not caused a problem.