Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 10:31 PM   #1
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Rain splash 3400, 3295 etc

Has anyone experieced the the problem of rain splashing off the kitchen slide (3295) of dining slide (3400) around the door? This would apply to any unit with slide confgured with door just forward of the slide and where the awning edge is even the door.
Water comes over the slide and spashes the door area. This is with the awning extended. We have tried clear plastic attached the awning with bungee clips but that puts too much stress on awning material. Thge plastic has to clip to the awning and drap over the awning rafter and then down the ground to provide good splash shielding.
Any ideas of how to fix the problem or support the plastic would be appreciated. Thanks

wa4bmg

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:05 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We do sometimes get a nice shower if we're standing in the wrong place after a heavy rain. One solution I've read about is to put an inflated beach ball under the slide awning at the end that is giving you a problem That would force the rain water to run toward the back of the trailer. I've also just emptied that slide awning by pushing the water back with a broom (lifting the end of the slide awning so the water runs off the back.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
John, I'm not sure whether you refer to the slide awning, the patio awning, or both.

We do not have this problem from the slide awning. The awning on that slide stays pretty taut. The longer one on the living room slide on the other side will have water runoff when the wind lifts the awning but I've never seen that from the kitchen slide awning. Judy's solution sounds good if you have that problem though.

Our patio awning ends just after the entry door. I've not noticed the problem you describe with that. With the awning sloping downward a little the water runs off the low far corner. It might be a good idea to keep the other end of the awning as the low end so water runs off that side. I tend to try to put the low end on the windward side so the wind tends to push down on the awning rather than lifting it. But if I were getting wet I'd probably change that practice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not have slide awnings on my 3400RL and do not have that problem. It rained pretty hard here yesterday and I was in and out of the coach all day and did not notice anything out of the normal. I have a huge tree by the coach so I never have my main awning out.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #5
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
I have heard and seen different solutions to the problem and with the 3400 you can get a drenching shower if not careful. The awning tends to sag on the longer slide. The beach ball was one of the first solutions. After that I have seen people run a strap across the center and tie it down under the belly of the slide (much the same as the awning tie downs). They don't put very much pressure on it..just enough to cause the water to run off and not pool in the middle. Since then I have seen new awnings installed with a support in the middle on the long slides. Not sure if it comes with or is an add on..so there are some solutions out there.
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote