Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2005, 03:49 PM   #1
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
White Montana, White Truck, road tar.

The road into the campground at Kennisee Lake was being tarred today.
No warning signs --- no nothing. Lots of oily tar and very little stone. What a mess. Whole front of the Montana covered. One whole side of the truck including the wheel wells. Hub caps, everything.
He went out to find something to take the tar off and they had put asphalt down on two other roads. Took him two hours to try to go around all this road construction. Spent another two hours trying to get the worse of the mess off the Montana and truck. We are not happy campers. We were captive in the campground today. Didn't want to go out into that "stuff" again. Hopefully tomorrow they will have put gravel down.
What do you use to remove tar? This stuff Chuck got was very very expensive. Some more luck, he knocked the can over and lost half of it into the grass. But ----- the Montana and truck are still doing great.

Carol

Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Chuck & Carol,
Sorry to learn of your misfortune with the road maintenance. One would think they would put up signs at least.
It seems I was told to use WD-40 when removing tar, good luck!

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Anything that is hydrocarbon based will remove the tar. WD-40 will work and being in a spray can kinda expensive and limited on the volume. Kerosene and diesel will also work, standard lamp oil is kerosene. Gasoline will also work, but due to its flamabilty, not a good choice. Tar is a mess to clean up and will take some work. After removing the tar with be sure you give it a good washing with soap and water and a good rinse.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
A large % of the content of WD 40 is Kerosene. I use kerosene and try to clean it A.S.A.P.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:31 PM   #5
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We have used baby oil to remove tar and it does a nice job and its cheap. The sooner you remove the tar, the easier it comes off. Hope this helps.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi All,

Something that I have used with great success was, Hand Goop. Rub it on gently and wipe off. Got this tip from a Auto paint guy.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Okay Steve what is Hand Goop and do you buy it at auto part stores?
Happy Trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
GOOP Hand Cleaners

Being I have a diesel, my preference would be diesel but talk about expensive.
But seriously, syphon a little diesel out of your tank and clean up the mess. Have plenty of rags handy. Afterwards wash and rinse thoroughly and apply a coat of wax.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:32 AM   #9
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Mayonaise works very well and any brand will do! Have fun
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:38 AM   #10
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I spent 30 plus years working with various road tars in construction and removing it from cars and trucks. First you need to find out the type of road oil they were using. Most road oils today are a latex based product. It is becoming enviromentally unpopular (and illegal in some states) to use petroleum based road oils. Todays latex based oils will wash off with soap and water if you get on it right away before it sets up. Once it sets up it is more difficult to remove. There are citrus based products specifically for removing oil from car finishes without hurting the finish. It does remove the wax though. The hand cleaner (goop) works but make sure you do not get the one with grit in it. It acts like sand paper. Diesel will remove the worst of the oil but then you still need to clean the diesel off. Gasoline is not recommended. Kerosene or parts washing solvent can be used also but diesel is the best. "years of experience"

After saying all the above the first thing you should do is contact the people putting down the oil. They have a liability issue to protect your vehicles and if you are damaged they will have to clean it up or pay to have it cleaned up. At least that is how it is done here in CA. They always carry something to clean up their equipment right on the job and sometimes they have some extra workers that will clean your vehicle right then. It always comes off easier the sooner you can get to it. If you end up with permanent damage you need the name of the company doing the work and you should contact your insurance.

Use caution on what you put on the Montana to clean it. Some chemicals react different on fiberglass and gel coat surfaces. If I can help further please contact me direct. Good Luck!
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 04:50 PM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Good summary Don!! That's stuff we all need to know. Hope all goes well for Chuck and Carol. The frustration must be enormous. Let us know what clean-up method you used and how successful it was. We're all gonna have this problem sooner or later. Good luck!
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I only tried this a little bit so don't know if it's truly effective. However, it is inexpensive and simple to try.... after fighting with some tar and finding nothing very effective/easy, I tried dryer sheets. Since they work so well on bugs maybe they'd help on tar. Wet the dryer sheet (new ones only, not used ones), rub and rinse. It worked very well on the small amount of tar I had to remove. No guarantees since I only did a little bit.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote