Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2005, 09:36 AM   #1
Montana_3845
Established Member

M.O.C. #3845
Draining fresh water tank

I am having trouble draining my full fresh water tank, I have a 2001 montana which has 2 drain tubes underneath, I have always been under the impression one was the water piping and the other the fresh water tank, I get very little water out of either.
I tried opening the faucets with the caps off the tubes and still no water.
Is there something I am missing and is my impression correct?
Is there another drain hidden or do I need to pump it out?
As a last resort I can pump it out thru the kitchen sink and flush my grey water tank at the same time.
Any comments appreciated.

GENE

Montana_3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
I'm not sure about your model, but the two on the curb side on my unit are for the pipes/H2O heater and the 1 on the street side is for the fresh water tank. Check the street side just forward of where you fill your fresh tank---should have a capped drain tube in about 18" or so from the side of the coach. Hope this helps.
tjw
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 12:56 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
I see from your profile that you have a 3255 RL, year unspecified. someone with the same model will come along and provide the answer. I think all Montanas have the single drain hose for the fresh water tank underneath and below the area of the fresh water fill cap. The two drains together are for draining the water pipes for winterizing.

Good luck,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ditto to what has been said. When I got the correct fresh water line and removed the cap, there was no problem getting the tank to empty.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 01:21 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
My. Mountaineer works the same way and I have done away with those caps and put plastic drain valves in their place. I had the valves on last winter up here in Michigan with the lines drained and the no freeze stuff in the lines had no problems.If you use your rig in cold weather you might want to use a type that will not freeze or crack.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:22 AM   #6
Montana_3845
Established Member

M.O.C. #3845

Thanks to all respondents!

After checking underneath I found the hole in the lining or cover, but no drain hose.
It turns out that the drain hose had been neatly tucked away under the bottom cover and not put in the hole made for it.

After making a new opening and getting the set crimped in the hose, I have plenty of water draining.
I am the second owner, it is evident the first owner never used or drained the tank.
Thanks --- GENE
Montana_3845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Hi,

I have a 2001, 2955, your fresh water drain is at the back of the rig. If you look at the back of the RV it is on the left side all be itself.
The two caps you are trying to drain are just you water lines, and your not going to get much out of those without some sort of pressure. I would refrain from using air pressure though unless you can regulate the pressure, you will blow all your lines apart.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote