Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Decorating dilemma

I'm getting a little frustrated trying to find the right color rugs for the sink and shower space in our 3400RL (2005). I'm not sure what the color of this unit is called so I'll just try to describe. The recliners and dining chairs are the olive green (drab) color while the sofa is mostly golden, beige carpet. The trim around the drapes is purple (merlot ?) and the room darkening shades are purple. Here's my problem. There really isn't any of this purple color in the bedspread--it's mostly taupe, olive and burgundy. So far I've bought and taken back 4 different sets of rugs. While I did manage to match the green from the spread it didn't add any zip to the look! The last ones I ordered are the eggplant color from Penney's. They're pretty bright and really don't look that great with the bedspread. I'm wondering if I should try the bordeau but can't really tell what it looks like by the 1 inch color sample. If anyone can tell me what you've done that looks good I would really appreciate it. The postage for ordering and sending back is getting kind of expensive!

mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Marilyn ... I gave up a long time ago trying to match colors, it was just too frustrating! I ended up with neutral (bath mat by the vanity sink) and contrasting colors. We have the green stuff (don't know what Keystone calls it)and I've gone with sage green and burgundy accents. Are you doing all your shopping online? If not, take a couch pillow with you to compare colors. That might work with online and catalog shopping too, but it's been my experience that what you see on the screen/in the catalog isn't always what you see when you receive the actual product. It might just be easier to replace the bedspread ... that's what I did!

Good luck ...
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Marilyn
I have the same problem. Our carpet is Merlot and is a lot lighter than the drape edging. I did find some towels at Penneys that look almost okay. The drape edging isn't really purple either because I've tried that although some purple looks okay next to it. I finally got a rug for the shower that is white with a deep burgundy design. And they had matching towels (Walmart last fall). Our sofa has a lot of blue in it but the bedspread does not. I use really pale green sheets and also some lavender ones and they look okay. I still say this unit was designed by a 7' tall (like how do you reach the pantry shelves), single male (with no decorating sense). I do love my Monty though, just a bit frustrating at times.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #4
mfoss
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2923
Thanks Vicki and Sue for your replies. It really is "small stuff" but sure would be nice to sit in the living room and look up at the bedroom and feel put together!! I did think about replacing the bedspread but that means the headboard upholstery too so I gave up on that. By the way, the eggplant contour rug looks great with the border in the bathroom. Sue, I agree, Keystone definitely needs a woman's input both with their color schemes and, as you said, the 7 foot cupboards! We bought one of those folding step stools--one step--and that doesn't help much! So many other things I DO love about this camper tho!
mfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have the Merlot colour carpet. I went into a local store here in Whitby called Covers and found a duvet cover, pillow shams and bed skirt that are almost the same as my headboard and drapes, they are so alike that nobody so far has noticed. I have a dark green bath mat and toilet mat and matching towels. I am really pleased how nice it all looks.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #6
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
I found bath rugs at Target that went great in the water closet...My sisters found me the purplish-marronish color throws for the chairs and the couch at Famous Barr that went great. I had some rugs for the living area that I purchased at Bergner's shortly b/f we purchased the Monty. The colors can be really hard to come by. I am sure sooner or later you will find the perfect match.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 03:19 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Kathy
Went to Famous Barr website. They aren't in Calif. but thought I could order on line. I didn't see any throws that looked like they match. Can you tell us more. The throw I purchased doesn't match as it is too red.
Thanks, Sue
Old 09-13-2005, 03:41 PM   #8
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I would like to put those head type doilies on the back of the chairs and then something on the arms. Where would you find something like that? My grandmother used to make her own, but I can't do that kinda stuff. Didn't inherit any sewing talents.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Doilies, maybe in a gift shop, or craft shop, I see them there.

mfoss,

Your colors sound like mine, Desert Sand or something. I ditched the bedspread and the headboard (headboard comes off with 4 screws I am told). Purchased what I wanted and made own headboard. (Do a search on headboards, there are a number of us that have done something, photo/quilt by Judy Denner, oak ones by several members.

For throw rugs I went to a dark red (maroon) for the bath. In the front room area, I have several as well, they are dark red with flower and stuff that draw in the goldish/beige, green, etc.

I felt the trim and stuff was closer to red than it was purple, but that was just my eyes! Of course, we all see colors differently.

DON'T BE AFRAID TO MAKE THE COACH YOURS!! Change stuff! It is soooo much fun!

OH, sheets for bedroom are a rich gold. Sheets for the futon are a deep burgandy with gold design (that design is not bold, but rather delicate)

Have fun, let us know how it turns out, photos are always fun!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #10
Chaser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2310
Send a message via Yahoo to Chaser
If you have a "Dollar Store", they could have the doilies you are looking for - if not Wal Mart Carries some with their table coverings, etc.; The Sage green (if it is Sage) isn't so easy to match either - I replaced the bedspread - going eggshell color - neutral, yet not white; removed the couch to the house, we didn't like it anyway - that got rid of the purply-merlot-burgundy question; and put in black recliners - so far so good and all seems to be going with the green.....the entry rug is burgundy/merlot to give a boost to all...
Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
No Marilyn ... this is not "small stuff." It's really important to personalize your Montana and make it your own and not like every other Montana off the assembly line. And, like Carol said, it's so much fun! If you're interested, we have photos of our Montana on our website (the Our RV Travels link below my name/signature) (we're doing a little updating of the "house" pictures tonight).
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 04:39 PM   #12
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Carol
Try Joanns and Michaels craft stores. I think both have them. They may be plain that you are suppose to embroidery on but you could paint on them also. I still have a set of crocheted ones my Grandmother made. I crochet with yarn but not thread. Could never get the hang of it even though she tried many times to teach me.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:03 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Well I guess since I am a single guy things are in a different light for me. Here is an idea that might work for you, as it worked for me. I have the Spring Floral interior, but I ordered the Merlot carpet. I love the way it looks and sure beats that seafoam green carpet that it was supposed to come with. There was a tear in my closet carpet so the dealership had to order new carpet to replace that area, while he was measuring I had him measure all the tile in my kitchen as well as the watercloset. I told him to order enough to do all that area as well and I would have a local carpet shop cut and finish off the edges for me. Now I have matching carpet to put into my water closet and in my kitchen. Looks great, works great and during the warm months I roll it up and store it in my rafters in the garage. As far as towels and blankets and pillows, I bought what I thought was comfy and looked like it would match.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #14
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We have the Spring Floral decorating w/the sea foam carpet. I love it
A deep rose is what I picked for bath rug, water closet and towels. Also, I too wanted to protect the easy chair, so purchased tea towels in olive green. Matches perfectly and didn't have to sew a thing. Target is where I found the stuff. Will admit the carpet takes some to doing to keep it clean. My problem is that I keep hitting my toes on the ledge infront of the stove Have learned that hard way not to go barefoot.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:25 AM   #15
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
We have the muliple boring browns with the burgundy/merlot accents. Ditched the bedspread for a patchwork quilt in similar colors (but with more light ivories etc so not so dark) which is easier to store than the huge bedspread and actually looks okay with the other decor. Still working to convince Bill that the curtains and headboard (oh puhleeeze!) should go next. In our rig the carpet is light brown. We had thought this would approximate the local dirt color and thus not show wear and tear as badly. WRONG! Though the same color as the dog, it is NOT the same color as dirt. Wal-Mart to the rescue. In their bath dept are bathroom rugs which exactly match our particular carpet color. Have bought them out twice now and can manage to strategically cover all the important parts of carpet. Best of all, after a muddy weekend, we can take them all up, wash and dry and everything is as good as new. Wal-Mart also provided throws for the LR and towels for the BR of an appropriate merlot-ish color. Since we are not full-timing yet, we are short on the other decor bits. We open and shut the rig so frequently when we use it that it is just not practical for us to do that. But for full-timing, I agree that you need to everything you can to make it the home you need to be comfortable in.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote