Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2005, 05:40 AM   #1
Montana_1981

M.O.C. #1981
Insurance

My insurance just went up over $300 a year, no accidents or tickets just an increase from 489 to 850. I went online and got 2 quotes 1 from progressive direct and the other from Explorer. Has anyone had any experience with either one of them or know another good company? They both quoted $530, I tried Good Sam ( General motors) and they were $500 every 6 months.
TIA

Montana_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:07 AM   #2
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Mercury Insurance has just started writing in Arizona, in California they are the least expensive, I assume they will be very competitive in Arizona. Check (mercuryinsurance.com) and enter your information to get a quote.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:24 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have Progressive for the truck and National Interstate for the Montana and fulltimers insurance. Good Sam's quotes were higher on both last time I checked. I think a lot of the pricing depends on where you are homebased so results may be different for you than for us.

When we still had the stick home we went with Cincinnati. Our state insurance commissoner's rating rated them pretty high. I went with them because they guaranteed no rate increase for three years although after that the increase would catch it up. We knew we'd retire and start traveling before the three years were up so it was a great deal for us. Plus they had the lowest rate at the time and in that area. Might be worth checking them out.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Without a doubt the different states have different rating systems. In Texas, the RV policies are rated as auto policies. Therefore, the rates vary with regard to the county in which your domicile is registered. I am currently registered in one of the two highest rated counties in the state. That is going to change in the near future. This means I should receive a significant reduction in premium. If Arizona has simular regulations.....

Texas insurers are advertizing lower rates. Perhaps Arizonians are picking up the slack in the insurance company profits (sick humor). I am using Formost and will have to say that their claims activities have been stellar.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:00 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
When rates went sky high in Texas, we changed insurance agents to Explorer RV and have been very satisfied. All other quotes we had received were $500 to $900 per year higher. We had no accidents or claims either.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #6
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jditton

My insurance just went up over $300 a year, no accidents or tickets just an increase from 489 to 850. I went online and got 2 quotes 1 from progressive direct and the other from Explorer. Has anyone had any experience with either one of them or know another good company? They both quoted $530, I tried Good Sam ( General motors) and they were $500 every 6 months.
TIA
We use Progressive through Farm and City Insuance out of Iowa.
Premium competitive with what you are getting and the renewals have been stable. I plan on staying with them. You do need to get quotes on Progressive from several agents speicalizing in RV coverage,

John wa4bmg

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:10 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wa4bmg

Quote:

TIA
Premium competitive with what you are getting and the renewals have been stable. I plan on staying with them. You do need to get quotes on Progressive from several agents speicalizing in RV coverage,

John wa4bmg
Where are your vehicles registered? We were originally from Iowa but because we registered our vehicles in Texas we could not legally insure them with our Iowa address. Also, when we obtained our mail forwarding address, State Farm dropped us. We were fine and dandy as long as we lived permanently in Iowa but the moment we went full ltime, State Farm said, "No, we do not insure full-timers." That, even thought we had been insured by State Farm for 30+ years.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:18 AM   #8
Montana_1981

M.O.C. #1981
Thanks for all the help, we went with explorer it had the best rating in Az and the second lowest rate ($4 higher than progressive). We had 2 progressive quotes and 1 was low but it was off-shore and they did not list their assests with the Az Insurance board so explorer won out. Thanks again.
Montana_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Out Camper is covered under our Home owners policy which makes sense when you think about it as the camper is not a motor vehicle..it is a home.The additional cost is 140.00.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #10
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by wa4bmg

Quote:

TIA

John wa4bmg
Where are your vehicles registered? We were originally from Iowa but because we registered our vehicles in Texas we could not legally insure them with our Iowa address. Also, when we obtained our mail forwarding address, State Farm dropped us. We were fine and dandy as long as we lived permanently in Iowa but the moment we went full ltime, State Farm said, "No, we do not insure full-timers." That, even thought we had been insured by State Farm for 30+ years.
Orv, our vehicles are registered in Florida. Hope this helps

John Wa4bmg
wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 04:58 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944

[/quote]
Orv, our vehicles are registered in Florida. Hope this helps[/quote]

John Wa4bmg
[/quote]
John, how can you insure your vehicles in Iowa if you have them registered in Florida? Every insurance agent I've talked to says you have to insure them in the state of registration. When you fill out any insurance application, you have to list the state of registration. That's normally the place where the vehicles are principally housed. I know that full timers are always on the road but the insurance agents I've talked to say that doesn't make any difference. We have a son who still lives in Marion, IA (Cedar Rapids) and we asked if we could use his address for insurance and we were told in no uncertain terms, NO!
I don't want to alarm anyone, but RV Alliance Insurance (they've changed names now) told me that if you are registered in one state and have your insurance in another state and have an accident, they won't pay. I wouldn't want to tempt that.
I'd like to be able to get my insurance in Iowa because it is a heck of a lot cheaper than Texas! Let me know. You can e-mail me. I tried to e-mail you but my computer said I couldn't.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:55 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, I don't recall for sure but I think you folks are fulltiming, is that right? Your profile shows Livingston, TX, so that's a good possibility. If your insurance is high (I wasn't aware of Texas rates being high) you might find out the rates if you were South Dakota residents. SD has either the 3rd or 4th lowest rates in the USA. That's one reason we chose to be SD residents. Your call but thought I'd toss out the possibility for you.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:27 AM   #13
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Just got off the land line after I saw these postings. I live in MI, I had Allstate on my permanent home and all vehicles includeing my 5vr. Rates went up on 5vr ,changed to Explorer. They just told me your rv is insured in your state of residence,even though explorer is out of ohio. They are insureing the rv no mater where it goes. Some of the high rollers in the insurace game try to offset some of their payout cost on homeoweners or auto by increaseing other rates.Get on your agents ask them for written proof of what they say. Remember the more they get you to pay the more money your agent makes.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 02:08 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Orv, I don't recall for sure but I think you folks are fulltiming, is that right? Your profile shows Livingston, TX, so that's a good possibility. If your insurance is high (I wasn't aware of Texas rates being high) you might find out the rates if you were South Dakota residents. SD has either the 3rd or 4th lowest rates in the USA. That's one reason we chose to be SD residents. Your call but thought I'd toss out the possibility for you.
Steve, Yes, our domicile is in Texas and we are full timers. However, I've looked into South Dakota and find the mail services out of SD are left wanting. The mail service out of Livingston is outstanding and I believe it offsets the difference in insurance rates. I have checked the insurance rates in SD also, and as you mentioned the rates in SD are less. Like you say, it's the call of the one doing the paying. My concern is with those who register their vehicles in one state (which legally becomes the state of the vehicle's home) and insure them using an address in another state. I just checked State Farm and they said it's illegal and those who do it will get caught -- if they have an accident. I'd like the opportunity to purchase insurance in another state other than the state my vehicles are registered in, but I'm sure not going to take the chance.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:15 PM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Rather than hijack this thread, I will start one on mail as fulltimes, specifically the fees you are paying for mail forwarding from the different states, I am curious.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:25 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Orv, you did your homework and made the decision best for you, as did we and all the other fulltimers. I can respect that and understand it. We've used Alternative Resources for 27 months and had one messup (didn't ship the mail) but only the one. We have weekly mail shipments. I'm also an Escapees member. They are a quality outfit and I'd have no concern with them handling my mail. They're clearly a good choice in my mind. I would prefer they were in South Dakota, though!