Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2005, 06:38 AM   #1
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Earthquake

Just wanted to let everyone know if you are coming to So. Cal. we just had a 5.6 earthquake. It was a duzzy......I was sitting here reading the MOC and I thought it was devine intervention from MOC that I was doing a great thing!!!!!! Till I looked up and saw the dogs water sloshing out of the bowl and the ceiling fans swaying. Then it was time to get up and do some walkin!!!LOL NO, not LOL!!!! Dogs were runnin and so was I....And they say it wasn't a very big one? Right! The one that caused all the damage up in Northridge (which isn't very far from me) was a 6.7. See the pictures that I am giving the website to. Scarey..See Arizona tells people it is to hot to camp there cuz it will ruin their RV's and California has earthquakes to keep people away. Go figure!!! We do love living here though. Till earthquakes hit. There isn't any warning like you get with tornados and huricanes and the like. But thats ok, they only hit once and a while. And if you live through it then you live through it. Right?

http://www.data.scec.org/chrono_index/northshow.html

Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 09:14 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
WOW! Wouldn't want to be anywhere near there. That's why I go to Tx for the winter
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:23 AM   #3
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
California the land of shakes, and brush fires, and rains, and mud slides, and I know you still love it out there.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We live in the Los Angeles Harbor Area and felt it this morning. Our neighbor said the news reported it in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, etc) are. It was very minor here, barely noticed it. Hope all is well with any of you out that way.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This is why we will stay in good old Northern Ohio.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hemet is only about 30 miles from Palm Springs and the San Jacinto fault that this was on runs right through Hemet. I talked to my mother this morning (she lives in a mobile home and is 87). She said it wasn't bad at all and she had no damage.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 05:16 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
We here in sunny California it's called shake-bake. I'll take an eartquake any day over a tornadio or huracane, at least I know all my belongings will be where they dropped, cant say that about the other two, the stuff might end up in the next county.
I can go ski in the mountains and go swimming on the beach within two hours of each trip.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Been through them all and I will stay with the earthquakes.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059

Ok, so I am odd man out. I have lived on the Texas Gulf Coast since 1942 and have experienced all the storms from then until now. With the modern tracking and technology we have now, if a person pays attention and leaves the targeted area well ahead of the onset of the outer bands, hurricanes are not a life threatening issue. I don't "ride out" storms, I leave and come back to deal with any damage. That's why I carry insurance.

With earthquakes, there is no warning. You are there. It certainly is over quick. However, I'd rather have time to respond. As to tornados, I choose not to live in Kansas, Oklahoma or any of the Plains States.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:33 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the occasional tornado here in Northern Ohio BUT the early warning system will give you plenty of advance warning so as to protect yourself.never heard of a earthquake early warning system.. We were in the middle of the F-5 Tornado that hit Moore Oka in may of 99.Still have the Maps we used to plot the storm as in came toward us//had over 1 hour warning.Hurricanes same thing..you know days in advance. Now that tornado or that hurricane still might get you..BUT you had the advance warning//Have also been in Ca in the late 70's during a Small(by ca standards) earthquake..do not remember any advance notice..Calif is a beautiful State and I am sure a nice place to live...But since we have a choice..we will stay right here.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #11
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
When I was growing up in Indiana, I spent a lot of time in the middle of the night sitting on the basement stairs, waiting to flee to the coal bin if we heard that rumbling train noise of a tornado. Didn't like that at all. Living in L.A. and feeling the earthquakes didn't bother me, likewise in Idaho we had some pretty good shakers, but that didn't bother me either. I guess I am saying I much prefer the shaking to the blowing - to this day a high wind makes me very nervous!
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:12 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Vicki grew up in shaky southern California and doesn't worry about earthquakes when we are there. I lived there nine years and was scared to death of them. No warning. Just open the earth and swallow you up! I grew up in tornado alley, Kansas, and never was in one. The actual odds of being in a tornado are very, very small. The odds of being injured are much smaller yet. I'll take tornado alley where you get lots of warning any day! Stiles, had to laugh at your comment. Don't you live in Texas, one of the tornado magnet states? Or am I thinking of someone else? I think I saw a tornado way off in the distance once but I'm not sure. I lived in Kansas for 44 years. I guess this is like everything else, you're most comfortable with the familiar and least comfortable with the alien. So pick your poison.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:19 AM   #13
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
We live in Riverside, about 50 miles (I think) from the epicenter and it was just a low rumble here.

Southern California's Four Seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:28 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
To each their own I guess. With the technology we have today there is plenty of advance warning for tornado's, hurricanes, severe weather, brush fires , even volcano eruption's
..there is none for earthquakes.However..If you are not sucked up in a tornado, blown away by a hurricane, cindered by a volcano or crushed by a earthquake then it won't bother you??? (PS sunshine, I too remember what a coal bin is)
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 PM   #15
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Rich
I think the difference is even if you get out, you come home or come up from the cellar or coal bin to damage. Many of the earthquakes cause no damage to many people around the center. In the forty-five years I have lived in California (1950-70 and 1980-2005) I have only lost a couples of vases.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:35 PM   #16
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Lucky you! I had major cracks in my foundation, sides of the house and drywall. But still I haven't found any other place I would rather live.........LOL
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #17
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I have lived here most of my 68 years and I have been all over this world and there is no better place than California. But don't tell anyone because they will all want to live here.
I definitely agree with the others that like/love their states home is where the heart is, as it should be.

Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been to the basement or cellar a number of times in my lifetime, during tornado "warnings." But I've yet to come out of there to any kind of damage other than maybe some tree limbs down. I still maintain the odds of being in a tornado are very small. And being injured is smaller yet. Since we're now fulltiming I guess we are exposing ourselves to all kinds of natural disaster potential...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote