Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2005, 12:28 PM   #1
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Outside Antenna

I am looking to improve my AM/FM reception on the sterio. What is the best way to add an external antenna? I have seen a few other brands of RVs on the road with external antennas and can only assume that it should help. Any ideas???

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:21 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Native Tex, I can't answer your question as asked but wanted to point out many members have found there's no antenna connected to the unit at all. I guess there is an antenna laying back there but it's coiled up and not connected. You might check that out and see if the result meets your needs before going the external antenna route.

Doesn't an external antenna need a ground plane to get good reception? In that case I would think you'd need it attached to the frame.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:27 PM   #3
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Looks like you have the Quest. Do you have a 75 ohm jack on the rear??? That should be for TV / FM or do you have some wire wrapped around a plastic spool, or a long wire rolled up at the back?? Gotta know what you have to help.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 01:38 PM   #4
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I installed a steel spring auto antenna on the side of the slide through the wall inside the stereo comp. There is an adapter that plugs into the auto type plug on the antenna, two bare wires coming out of it. I just snapped them into the am clips on the back of the receiver. The reception is better but only slightly. Someone told me fiberglass and aluminum does not provide a good ground plane.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 01:14 AM   #5
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
On the back of the surround unit, there will be a 75 ohm receptacle. This is where you would connect the long straight wire for FM reception. The plastic spool that is wrapped with wire is the AM antenna.

I trashed both. I inserted a cable splitter after the antenna booster and connected both the TV and the surround unit to the antenna on top of the roof. Reception is fantastic. Just have to remember to turn on the booster or else I get nothing but static.
Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:02 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Thanks to all for the great information. I have the wire antenna fully extended inside the cabinet and get fairly good reception. I just thoguht at an external antenna would do a much better job. I like the idea that Dental Floss Tycoon offered. I think I will run by Radio Shack and see if they have a cable splitter. I assume that I will have to have a piece of cable made to make the connection from the unit to the spliter. Thanks for the ideas.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote