Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2004, 04:06 PM   #1
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
Surburban Oven

My wife has threatened to wobble the job and cook no more if the temperature control cannot be any better. We have experienced inconsistent ranges of temperature fluctuation. It seems to line out at the temperature you set it to and then elevates more during cooking time. Example....we set it at 375 and after about 15 minutes, it was contolling a +/- 10 degrees. Rechecked the temperature after about 30 minutes of cooking and it was controlling at 390 +/- 10 degrees. Now to make this more of a puzzle, the reading on the oven knob was set near 350 to obtain the initial 375 and had to be lowered to 325 to get it back down to 375.

Is this typical of those of you with the same oven?

We have had the thermostat checked out and they say that they have it doing the best they can get it to do. It is much improved over the previous setting of 350 which gave us near 500 degrees, but still not dependable enough to bake breads or anything that requires consistency.

Travel Safe

Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:03 AM   #2
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Pretty standard. If you have ever used a wood stove to bake you'd have less trouble. With a wood stove you have to control the fire which heats the oven and change the cooking time as you go.... and make sure your partner doesn't get chilly and add wood to the cooking fire while your back is turned.

With the propane the fire at least is under some control. Always turn the knob slowly toward the desired temperature in a smooth turn...try not to overshoot and wiggle it back and forth. Adjust cooking time a few minutes each way as required. I don't think I have ever used a stove, household or RV that didn't require a tweak here and there to adjust my cooking style to the appliance.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:14 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Our oven runs HOT, but not like TaylSpin is describing. That said, have never put a seperate thermometer in there, but set at 325 for 350 and stand guard. Prior RV units about the same results. Have managed to bake a few mean peanut butter cookies in there and great brownies as well. The 500 degree stuff sounds way too off, our experience has not been that warm!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 02:56 AM   #4
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I think you will have this problem with any RV oven!
We had simaliar problem with our Dometic.
With 2 thermometers in the oven, to record the temp, it would go from reading correct to +25 degrees.
We called Dometic and they authorized a new thermostat which was installed, at no cost to us. It is still not working right but is a little better!

Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:13 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've never checked the temperature in ours but have problems with different spots in the oven cooking at different rates. A cookie sheet helps even the temperatures somewhat. Some folks are using firebricks or baking stone in the bottom of the oven to even out the temperature. We recently put our big baking stone in there and first use of the oven broke it into two pieces.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #6
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by TaylSpin

My wife has threatened to wobble the job and cook no more if the temperature control cannot be any better. We have experienced
Is this typical of those of you with the same oven?

------------------

We have done some major baking and found the oven to be about the same as the electric stove in the house we just sold. In otherwords useable with some Kentucky Windage on the temperature Knob.

The horizon of the oven is however a bit at variance with that of the cabinet top or the level vials that we rely on to set up the Montana.
This leads to the baking of wedge shaped cake layers. Of course proper orientation of two wedges and a little extra frosting can compensate for that problem.

Happy Camp Cooking!

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:22 AM   #7
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
A post-script to Steve's post on our baking stone ... it broke because a certain dummy (me!) put it in a warming-up oven when it was way too cold. Otherwise, I'm sure it would've been just fine. Betty Crocker/Susy Homemaker I'm not.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote