Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Orion
Established Member

M.O.C. #6825
Metal end cap on Axles

I have looked to see if anyone one else is having problems with the metal end caps on the axles coming loose and just flopping around in the hub cap. We purchased our new 07 Montana 3400RL in December, 2006 and towed it 10 miles to site we were staying on for the winter. After a quick walk around, we noticed that the two of the end caps on the drivers side were off and laying in the hubcap. We contacted our dealer about them and a couple other problems. They came out and fixed the other problems. They jacked up the tires, cleaned off the grease and put the caps back on. We thought the problem was fixed. Three months later, we left for home. We traved 250 miles, went into a campground for the night, and again noticed the same two caps were off again. We contacted our dealer, he found a dealer about 150 miles away, we called them, they would not be to help us until May, this was unacceptable to us. We contacted Keystone customer service, explained our problem, they gave us another place to work on it, after talking with that place,they were not interested in helping us.. We travelled another 100 miles, settled in, and now have three caps off. We contacted Keystone for the number of Dexter Axles - spoke to them - they told us that they know they have a problem with the caps coming off but at this time do not have a replacement idea, they told us to take the trailer in to any place, have the tires pulled and then have permatex (gasket maker) put on both surfaces and put the cap back on. That this should solve the problem and they will reimburse for charge. We are really worried about this solution from Dexter. Our trailer has the 6,000 axles. We really like our trailer and very happy with it except for this problem. Has anyone had this problem?

Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I just had 1 axel replaced on my 06 #3000RK as the last axel went straight but have only towed it 10 miles so far but i will have to watch for this ,, stay on keystones back
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm sorry to hear you are having a problem and hope it gets straightened out for you. I have never heard of this problem before. We've not had this happen on any of our three Montanas. Our current Montana is the same year and model as yours.

Are you talking about the cap that is within that chrome cone? The one that covers the grease fitting? Did any of those people give you an idea how this is attached?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Orion,
Like Steve this is the very first report of this type of thing that I've seen. Hopefully you will soon have a real fix for it and you can report what was causing it.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:04 AM   #5
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
This happens quit offten with boat trailers remove wheels clean outer hub & cap use 5200 3 m sealer on cap and re install Ive done this often & it works well good luck
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #6
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Oruion,

I had the same thing happen to me. My coach is equipped with 6K AL-KO axles. One of the bearing dust caps kept coming off. I would use a rubber mallet to snap it back in place but, it still kept falling off and rattling around inside the chrome hub cover on the wheel.

On one occasion when I had the coach back here at the house, I took that wheel off and took the dust cover over to Keystone customer service. They exchanged it for me with out any questions. I took that dust cover home and tapped it into place, being careful that it was aligned properly, put the wheel back on and torqued the lug nuts to 120 ft/lbs and haven't had a problem since.

What happens is, when those dust covers are sanpped into the spindle hub, if they are not aligned right, they may be slightly deformed in the process and will most likely do what ours did.

I just recently heard that one of the axle manufacturers, is soon going to be supplying those dust covers made from plastic. The reason being, they retain their "memmory" better than metal.

Of course, living here in Elkhart County has it's advantages. If I need any kind of part for the Challenger, I usually don't have much of a problem finding it. Even if it means getting them from a different RV manufacturer. (hehe)

Dale
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Yep! Same problem. On my last trip I noticed two of mine were off. I looked at another Montana in the RV park and noticed his were also off and he had not noticed. When I got home I had a third one off. I am going to pull my wheels and put them back on and use the old dust cap fix of putting a little gasket sealer on the edge to help hold them.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 09:16 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I went from never having heard of this problem before to now thinking I need to go out and check mine! Orion, I hope something in this thread helps you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummmm. We never heard of this problem..then someone mentions it and lo and behold.. other folks have had the same issue but NEVER MENTIONED IT. I am wondering why????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:47 PM   #10
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I looked at this as a minor inconvenience. Thought it happened from bumping over one to many curbs. Having worked on old cars in the past, and removed an reinstalled many dust caps, I have seen some that went on loose and required either a slight reshaping or a little sealant to hold them on, even used some electrical tape to make them fit tighter. Maybe with the new lightweight material dust caps are now made out of they may not hold as tight if not installed right, as MIMF2 mentioned.

I guess something some of use did not figure was a major problem but now it looks like it may be something to keep an eye on as Orion stated Dexter Axles is aware of problem in this area.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 02:55 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have the concern that many folks are holding back on reporting issues for fear of being labeled as "negative" The end cap issue is a perfect example..a minor problem, never reported that it appears many folks are going to have.I may be in the minority here but I am striving to make my Montana a better camper and every little bit helps.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 05:08 AM   #12
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ours had one missing at the PDI. One of two things we found. Problem is it was actually missing, not rolling around inside. I think there is more to the mystery that what we saw, but the Dealer fixed it on the spot.

I didn't think of it as a big deal, but hope it is not chronic problem. I wonder if it is from pressure from the grease?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:59 AM   #13
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Orion;

Not sure I understand why you would be so concerned about the suggested temporary fix from Dexter. The caps have to be formed to a very close tolerance and maybe they got a batch that were just slightly undersized. Then again maybe it's something to do with the installer on the assembly line.

Sounds like they are actively trying to look for a solution and have offered to reimburse you for a temporary fix so you can use your rig. What they propose should work and if it were me I'd get it done (actually I'd probably do it myself) and ask them to contact me when they work out a permanent fix.

Not trying to minimize your problem, or fault you for bringing it up - just hate to see someone stressing about something that can be remedied pretty easily.
wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:38 AM   #14
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I had the same problem with a boat trailer and found that the cap from a can of spray paint fit over the hub and I used a hose clamp to hold it in place. A temporary fix maybe?
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:35 AM   #15
Orion
Established Member

M.O.C. #6825

Just as a follow up on our problem - as of right now we think it is fixed. After contacting several Dealers in the Houston area, we were given a name of an Automobile repair shop - they were able to service the trailer on Monday. The owner pulled each tire, cleaned all the grease off, had to replace grease in the axles (one side was almost dry), used a 3m gasket adhesive to seal the cap back on, he advised us to let it sit for a couple hours before heading out on the road. He directed us to a Super Walmart where ofcourse we went shopping for the time. We then drove 300 hundred miles and all the caps stayed on. I did contact Dexter again, and they were pleased that we were able to find someone to fix the problem and then proceed to give me the information on sending the bill to them for reimbusrement. I have no problem with Dexter, they have helped us. And yes maybe my wife overreacted on this problem (yes its minor but could of become major) I think her concern is that if someone has alerted dealers that there could be problem and what to do, then our dealership would of fixed it in the first place. So if anyone, encounters this problem, thats the fix for it until Dexter lets us know something different.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote