Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-17-2006, 08:00 AM   #21
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
CampingCrazyShirley

Believe that for the time being, all frigs will come with black, HAHA, that said, they make enough running changes that yours could come with the wood panels.

Comments based on knowledge that Keystone does a lot of running changes, on a plant tour one time, we were informed that there are days that there are as many as 10 changes. The informant was the man who had to record said changes, he told us, even down to the size of a screw, if changed, he had to record the change.

Again, based on what we have been told on plant tours, if they change something on one model, it is changed on all models, for example the frig, it is just too hard to have one rig coming down the line with a black one, and the next frig with a wood paneled one.

You guys need to make a run to Goshen and take the plant tour! What an experience that is!

Do you guys have a build date yet???

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #22
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
I would love to take that tour. I hope to make it to one of the rallies to take it with ALL my friends
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:53 AM   #23
Montana_5905

M.O.C. #5905
We're completely satisfied with our '07 3400RL. I'm sure everyone could come up with adds (I'd like to see an electrical outlet in the basement) as I'm sure EVERYONE is chapped about that worthless rechargeable flashlight (great idea - junk product)but I think all will agree, it IS a fine unit. We're pleased as can be.
Montana_5905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #24
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
badhunt, We got our 3400 in April of this year and have had almost nothing done to it in the way of repairs or modifications. It is currently at the dealer having a top seal adjusted on the living room dinette slide and one of the day night shades replaced. We had a small leak on top of the bedroom slide that was repaired with some of that fancy tape they have at the dealership.
Happy campers - you bet I would by the same unit tomorrow if I had to.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:04 AM   #25
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Ours is just perfect, we love the floor plan and the amenities are just great. Mama wants the washer/dryer combo and maybe a second AC, but we have absolutely no complaints about our 3400RL.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:49 PM   #26
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
We ordered or 3400RL 2 months ago, it came off the line on the 24th and is available for pickup at the dealer on Tuesday, Halloween. We did stop and look at a new one that was delivered 2 weeks ago, had the darker woodwork and the black door. When I open the unit and saw that black door it was a WOW, I think it looks super. So does the darker wood.

Seeing all the positive responses on the Montana we (the much better half and I) hope our experience is as good. We have had many RV's over the years and have full timed for a while, sort of off and on, but on the delivery of this unit we are hitting the road for good.

Wish us luck

JimF
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:08 PM   #27
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I got my 2007 3475RL this August 21st and with the exception of having no electrical outlet near the bed(which I have since remedied),we love our new unit. The one major disappointment is that Keystone changed the pinbox which puts the back of the truck 5 5/8 inches closer to the RV. When I am hooked up and the truck is not perfectly straight, I can only open the front compartment about halfway before it hits the tailgate. I called Keystone to see about getting the same pinbox that was on my 2004 Monty and they said the longer pinbox was only rated for 1500 lbs and would void my warranty.The present pinbox mounting has 6 bolts whereas the 04 had 9 bolts.I could drive it to the factory to change the mounting that will accomodate a longer pinbox. I could have ordered it as an option,but no none told me or even knew about the shorter pinbox.
I can barely squeeze between the truck and rv with the tailgate down and I'm only 5'1" and 145 lbs.
I would suggest people ordering or waiting on a new unit make some inquiries. Measure from the center of the kingpin to the center of the first bolt. The short pinbox is 14 5/8 and the long one is right at 20".
Am I the only one with this clearance problem?
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:11 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We took delivery of our 3400 May 3rd, 2006. There were a few minor changes and repairs made during the PDI. We have not been back to the dealer since and we have experienced no major problems. Our only negative comment is the sloppy workmanship that is prevalent throughout the RV industry and our 3400 was no execption.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:31 PM   #29
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
We picked up our 3400 Oct 26th. All was in order the dealer found a leak at the kitchen sink and that was about it. The fridge door looks great we ordered the 10ft fridge and have found that there is more extra room than expected over the 8ft. Happy with that decision. The duel pain windows very happy with that decision also. The storage doors are not gel coat still out on that but leaning towards not happy. Everything we dreamed about this has for the most part become reality. The real test was tonight when we had friends over for dinner. We sat 5 people at the table easily and had plenty of room in the kitchen for fixin drinks and food. This by far has put my expectations over the top. Not to mention this is the first post from my new desk. It doesn't get any better than this that is for sure. The pros far outweigh the cons on this model and do not let anyone sway your decision on what to like or dislike. Wait and decide for yourself!! You will be pleasently surprised.

Remember the..........
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:07 AM   #30
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Redrover98

It is my opinion (which is backed up with NO engineering degree, just observations and common sense, well, make that observations, not sure I have common sense )

They moved that pin back well over 16 inches since the first 3400 came off the line to the current configuration, It is my opinion that much of that movement is to reduce stress on the frame specially in the area of the bedroom, etc.

This has been discussed a number of times here on the forum, and when we were at the Fall Rally in Goshen in September, I personally spent a lot of time studying pin placement, bedroom slide placement and Al took a lot of measurements of pin to bulkhead.

Having had a minor amount of frame flex or pin box flex (thank you Keystone Service Center for the fix), we kinda figure they had to do something to reduce the stresses of that extended pin.

Again, my opinion, which is not backed up by any engineering degree.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:11 AM   #31
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I like the shorter pin box...anything to make this monster a bit shorter helps.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:12 AM   #32
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I agree with Cat320, Friday night I parked on a 60 foot pad and there was not much left on either end.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #33
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Carol,
I know you measured my kingpin many times while in Goshen. =) Do you remember what the numbers were??

Since I have the original 3400RL, I have the extended kingpin and the most clearance between the truck and coach. I can open the basement door or drop the tailgate and still walk through that area while hooked up. I know the change was made for the better, but I still like having all the extra room between the truck and coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #34
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dave,

I don't remember, Al was the one with the measuring stick, but yours was 16 inches LONGER than SteveR's, whose 3400 is brand new, measuring from the pin to the bulkhead. If I remember correctly, you told us yours was one of the first 3400's built.

Al was measuring from the bulk head to the pin, not the truck bed measurements and not the measurements of the pin itself. His measurement from the pin to the bulkhead would of course, take into consideration the shorter pin that Redrover98 is talking about.

(Now, ole Carol's disclaimer, if I misread Redrover98's post, I am sorry, or misunderstood it, I am fighting off a slight headache all day, and that does tend to fog the brain function even more than normal. )
Old 10-30-2006, 11:48 AM   #35
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I just measured mine and it is 15 5/8. However I don't have any problem opening the front hatch or walking between the truck and 5th wheel with the tail gate down. Dee the question I have is, is the hitch in your truck mounted properly. Cat320 do you have these problems with your rig? Maybe it varies between models. The new design is suppose to give short bed trucks a advantage but if you lose over 5 inches it kind of defeats the design.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 12:49 PM   #36
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Mudchief,
The hitch on my truck is the one that I have had since 2001. It was ok with my 99 Widerness and my 04 Monty. Mrs Countryguy brought up something that I hadn't considered. The measurement from the bulkhead to the kingpin.I never measured that on the 04 or this one.I can live with the tight space now that I'm aware of it and I don't gain a lot of weight.I know that the front has been redesigned to increase clearance and the overhang may have been shortened to achieve this. Any way, I really love this unit. Made it from Fl to Eastern Arizona without a problem.
Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #37
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Dee,

The distance between the bulkhead and the pin has been getting shorter for a couple of years. We noted some difference in the measurements in units that did not have the new design cap with mirror. Maybe not the 16 full inches that we measured, but some. By the way, we chose two 3400's, early model and almost hot off the production lines to study, made it sweet that they were sitting side by side at the Rally.

Nothing like a Rally to really look em over and find the changes!
Old 10-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #38
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

I just measured mine and it is 15 5/8. However I don't have any problem opening the front hatch or walking between the truck and 5th wheel with the tail gate down. Dee the question I have is, is the hitch in your truck mounted properly. Cat320 do you have these problems with your rig? Maybe it varies between models. The new design is suppose to give short bed trucks a advantage but if you lose over 5 inches it kind of defeats the design.
I can get the tailgate down and the basement door up, all with the rig hooked up, so I guess I'm okay. It's a bit tight, but I can live with it.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote