Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2006, 03:03 AM   #1
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
True Confession

I can't find that older thread about "most embarassing experience", but I'll start a new topic in the possibility that it may help a fellow traveler avoid what I did, and the further possibility that if it does happen, my experience may be helpful in overcoming the self created problem.

After a too long day on the road (almost 500 miles) we arrived at the Amarillo Ranch RV Park in Amarillo, Texas. All was going well until I was working on the final leveling of the Montana. I noticed that the fore and aft level needed adjustment and while that was on my mind I decided to move the pickup from under the trailer to lower the front. [yes the landing gear was down, hitch was open and clear] I pulled up just a foot or two...

That's right: the umbilical cord was ripped out from the junction box in the pin box. I had once upon a time forgotten the cord, but that time it pulled out of the "plug" in the pickup and no harm was done. This time every wire was pulled in two and the box itself somewhat the worse.

So I will spare you (and me) from the tragic details, but my first attempts at correction did not reach the desired result, to put it mildly. After dark I did some Googling and did find some very helpful information, but something was still not right.

Two things I can tell you: there is NO mobile RV service in Amarillo, Texas, and there is a very fine Montana dealer all the way across town from the Amarillo Ranch RV park. We made that trip across town and the service mananger and some of the mechanics took the time to educate me in the details of the wiring system.

Went back after consultation and a couple of hours later we were on the road again. Now here is the nugget of wisdom that prompted all this confession: the BLUE wires are to the brakes. Even that first evening I had all the lights working, but no brakes. Back to the nugget: The BLUE wire from our Montana end of the spagetti box is NOT BLUE but another BLACK. That had been my major problem.

Now, if you ever need help with rewiring the umbilical cord at the junction box--try Google and/or give me a call!

All worked out well as we had not planned a long drive yesterday and we came on up to the Cedar Rail campground at the top of Raton Pass on the New Mexico/Colorado state line, a beautiful place to spend a night. On to Buena Vista, Colorado today.

David and Shirley -- East Texas
2955 RL Montana
Chevrolet Duramax 2500 Allison Trans
http://www.dwilliamson.com/mont.jpg

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:10 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
David,
You aren't the first one who has done that. I've done it and I bet there are many more who have done it also. Fortunately, I haven't ripped mine out, yet. No matter how careful we are there always seems to be something that we miss.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You two have a fun trip, you got the ghosts out of the way!

Cheers, Carol

Thanks for posting, we all learn from these posts.

(Thanks Glenn)

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Recipe for the RVing Life

Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
David and Shirley,

I ALMOST did the same thing a few years ago but my wife yelled just in time and I only tore loose one of the screws on the receiver inside the truck bed. Glad you got everything repaired and on the road again.

Now we can get to the more important thing, what are you two doing "sneaking" up here again without arranging to see me??? Enjoy your stay with your daughter!

mac

1999 Silverado LS Extended Cab, Prodigy Brake Controller
2006 2955RL
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:46 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
David, don't feel too embarassed, it's happened to more people than not, including myself. At least you found someone to help you out. Jack Sizemore's Traveland in Amarillo is an excellent dealer. Thats where we bought our Montana, and I can't say enough good things about them. Have a safe trip and enjoy your stay in Colorado.

Lonnie
2006 Montana 3000RK, Reciever Hitch for Boat and Toy Trailer
2003 F250 CC PSD, LB, 6 Speed Manual Trans., 4X4, Air Suspension, Husky 15K Hitch
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:03 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks all, I feel much better already! Ols and Carol, Mac and Lonnie B. you are all good and true Montana friends.

Lonnie, we found Sizemores to be TOP NOTCH in every way. Enjoyed the visit there except for my urgent need for help. We came on through Texline not Texico. Wish we could see you sometime.

Mac, we will be at Buena Vista for the next six days. First at the Snowy Peaks RV and then out at Arrowhead (used to be Crazy Horse). Keep in touch by email and we may find a way to get together. Our daughter will be away much of the time so we will have some free time.

We are getting ready to leave Cedar Rail (I highly recommend) so will not be on for a while. Thanks, friends.
Old 09-09-2006, 04:23 AM   #7
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Padredw, Most RVers can empathize what happened and it is something we could all do in the blink of an eye. Then you also got two black wires so it was a bit of a double whammy. Thanks for posting your experience and the last couple of times I have connected and disconnected I have taught Donna how to come over and check out everything. Two people both having a brain fade at the same time is not as likely to happen. Take care.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 04:54 AM   #8
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Gee, that could never happen to me!!! OOPS--I'VE DONE IT TWICE!!! Always when it's raining or in a hurry.

So glad every thing worked out okay for you. Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 06:30 AM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Don
You have the right idea. Ed and I double check each other at every step of setting up and taking down. I can't reach the plug but I always check to make sure he has disconnected. Even then things can happen (rain, visitors, etc.).
David
So happy that things turned out okay for you two. Enjoy your stay.
Happy trails..........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 07:24 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Came to within an inch of having the same thing happening to me.

Glad to see you got'er fixed and got back on the road.

Glenn
Montana Owners Home Page
RV Related Links

Glenn and Lorraine
M O C - 4 2 0
WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Click on either of the above for a larger image
We are using a 2005 White GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD Extended Cab, Short Bed, 4X4
with the Duramax/Allison Combo and Firestone Ride-Rite air bags
to drag around our 2004 Montana 2955RL 32'
using a PullRite 16K SuperGlide Automatic Sliding Hitch

"We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us!"

You know you are retired when you wake up in the morning with
nothing to do and go to bed at night with it only half done.

BUT, Keep in mind, doing nothing can be a very
tiresome job because you can't stop to rest

Click on the Flags for the Forecast
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Thanks for all the additional ecouraging responses from Montana Forum friends. Just to update: we came DOWN Raton Pass with excellent brake control (thanks also to TOW/HAUL mode) and are now safely in Buena Vista.

Glen, you have been so helpful in providing valuable links and, for that matter, in many other ways. I am attaching an image which is a good starting place in regard to trailer control wireing. [Just remember that I did NOT have a blue wire from the Montana--but another black.]
Here is a link to that image so you can put it where it will be available to anyone who needs it:

http://dwilliamson.com/wire.jpg

EDIT TO NOTE: In my situation there was NO YELLOW wire at all, but a RED wire with the function indicated by Yellow above (left turn signal).
Old 09-09-2006, 01:01 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Duly saved for reference. David, thank you for the headsup on this. I've not yet had this problem although I have been close a couple of times. But when the time comes, this info may save me some difficulties. I appreciate your posting it.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'07 3400RL
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote