Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-30-2006, 02:07 AM   #61
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes there are more and more Kipor dealers signing up.I think they will give the others a run for their money..Wish they could be paralleled but that is the compromise for the price.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:58 AM   #62
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Interesting thread on Kipors on the Open Roads forum. There are plenty more of the same tone. It appears you get what you pay for and you take the risks relative to the cost. With mechanical items our experience has been that quality trumphs price in avoiding the headaches over the long run. Same reason we went to the Montana.
Kipor Discussion 1
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 04:19 AM   #63
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You may be right, 315RLS. But, if these gens are becoming this popular, any glitches would have to be addressed quickly by Kipor, or they won't sustain their rapid growth. Especially with the explosive popularity of RV forums. It will kill them quickly.

Now, you may also see the prices start to rise (ain't free market grand???), but I don't believe Kipor will let any major issues stand for long. There are bound to be "growing pains". How well Kipor handles them will be key.

Burnside RV, here in Michigan just went to them, also.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #64
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
The one guy really is upset over his, I guess I would be as well.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 10:02 AM   #65
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree. I guess my thought is that GM, Ford, Dodge, Walmart, etc have law suits everyday (heard the number per day on WalMart - can't remember it now, but it seemed to be counting by the hour). There will always be a percentage of lemons. The more growth a comapny has, the more lemons. Doesn't mean I now won't buy a GM pickup, after reading something on a forum where several owners of GMs are having lemon problems. This guy sounds like he has a legitmate complaint. I would probably wait, though, to hear a little more of a widespread problem before bailing out on buying a Kipor gen. The price difference is still overwhelming for most of us.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:59 AM   #66
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
There is an even longer thread here Kipor Discussion 2
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 10:03 AM   #67
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Spent the afternoon at our Montana Dealer.One of the reasons we were there was because the district Kipor sales rep was there and we gave the Kipor 3500TI a workout. First Kipor is concentrating on the RV market and dealers are signing up like crazy.It should become easier and easier to find a dealer and service. We started up the generator no load.Could hold a normal conversation standing beside the unit,It does not make a noise it makes a purrrr.Dragged it over to a pop up with a 13.5 A/C. The rep went in while I stood outside.He hit the on switch for the A/C..Slight change in pitch then normal. I had brougt a volt meter with me,118V steady.Took it to a Jayco Designer series for a "lets see if we can smoke it" test/ First turned om "normal lighting' throughout the camper, no change, Turned on both tv sets, it changed pitch a bit then picked up.Now we hit the 15 A/C it slowed then picked up .Meter was 118V steady. Ha Ha I said lets run the microwave..he was ready for me.Put a bowl of water in the micro wave...it grunted. the voltage pointer wiggled and it ran. I said throw one of these in the back of the truck here is my credit card..They did , it is home in the garage. You have got to take a look at one of these, electric start, quiet, It is NOT a light weight @132lbs.MSVRP 1295.00..got it for 930.00 at my Friendly Montana Dealer.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:42 AM   #68
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Sounds like you got good deal, thanks for letting us know how it did. While you were running it did all lights and TV's stay on while running AC and microwave? $930.00 sounds pretty good price, will they ship one for that?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:53 AM   #69
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Broome101
If you contact Derek at 360-508-6766 he will sell to you for $900 delivered.

http://www.ccpowersol.com/
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #70
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Normal Lighting, both TV's,15Ac and microwave.Voltage held at 118V and everything ran normal.900.00 shipped to your door would be a very good price.The kipor guy said that Kipor was getting their act together in the US and very soon only Kipor certified dealers would be able to sell the Kipor and most of the those internet outlets would disappear.One of the reasons they can sell at a lower price is they have little advertising and PR. I would suggest , if you can, find a dealer and as I did try it out.I think you will be pleased with the performance.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:16 AM   #71
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
More on the Kipor..It is running out in the driveway. Can not hear it from inside the house. I have a toaster 7.5 amps (900 watts)and a space heater 12.5 amps (1500 watts) hooked to it.Engage them at the same time and the Kipor pickes up the load no problem,It is rated for 23.3 amps and we are using 20amps.So far so good,It is not easy to work on with my stubby fingers.The motor compartment is tight. Oh.. no leaks of any kind started right up has been running now for about 1 hour no problems.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:19 AM   #72
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich, I would be curious as to the actual runtime (around 1/2 - 3/4 load) of a tank of gas. What's the fuel cap?
Old 04-01-2006, 07:04 AM   #73
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich and others, I'm curious too, why go with the gas one when most of our Montana's are pre-wired for a propane unit? Is it an issue of price? I know that you can use your gas generator for more uses but I really have only one, my Monty. I wish I had enough money to put one in now, I love being able to stop along the roadside and have lunch and be able to use the air or the microwave. We've only stayed at a Walmart once, don't really care for it but just a few hours rest it's a deal, and I would have loved to have had a generator that night in our old 5er, it was so hot we couldn't sleep.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 07:32 AM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dsprik go to www.kipor.com I think it is 7 hours on a full tank...MAC we did not get the generator prep option. The prep is for the Onan 5.5 gen as we were told and that is a very expensive option for the amount of time we might use the Generator . We also wanted the multiple use option. We now have two generators a noisy 3.5KW Sears and this 3.5 Kipor. Between the two of them we can run the critical parts of the entire house in a prolonged power failure and we get them around here. The onboard generators are very handy. For us it was a cost vs benefit issue.
Old 04-01-2006, 08:13 AM   #75
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mac

Rich and others, I'm curious too, why go with the gas one when most of our Montana's are pre-wired for a propane unit? Is it an issue of price? I know that you can use your gas generator for more uses but I really have only one, my Monty. I wish I had enough money to put one in now, I love being able to stop along the roadside and have lunch and be able to use the air or the microwave. We've only stayed at a Walmart once, don't really care for it but just a few hours rest it's a deal, and I would have loved to have had a generator that night in our old 5er, it was so hot we couldn't sleep.

mac
Mac, some here have propane gens and they love em - I think Kathi is one. My main concern - and this is only heresay - is that you can go through a bunch of propane. Seemed to be a cost concern on some posts I've read (vs gasoline). While built in propane gens are definitely harder to steal, they obviously cannot be used for any dual pupose. I believe Kathi said the main plus for a propane gen is tremendous convenience. While inside your Montana, just go to a wall switch and push a button and "presto!" - instant electricity. Especially good for those who have limited mobility.
Old 04-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #76
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Dave and Rich,

Well there ya go, I'm lazy! Of course I also don't own the Onan yet because of costs. I do think there is a small safety issue that you could turn on an "onboard" generator from inside your trailer in some emergency, storm or whatever with a power outage. Nevertheless it is a small consideration.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 11:59 AM   #77
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Rich brings up another good point. Propane gens are quite a bit more expensive than equivalent wattage gas gens - as far as the ones I looked at, anyway.

BTW, thanks, Rich. I need to bookmark that site.
Old 04-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #78
jrjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4858
I have a EU3000is Honda and installed remote start. Here is a web page with a bunch of propane conversion kits.
http://www.propane-generators.com/
I don't think I am going to do it because of tank size in the Monty. But when they switch out my remote thermo for the CCC next week and I get a chance to see how much propane I go through I might.
jrjones is offline   Reply With Quote