Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #1
richeyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22661
RV Air Flow

Looking to improve the airflow in my 2018 Montana High Country with a Dometic Blizzard AC/Heat Pump in the living area. From the interior I don’t see any access with out removing ceiling panels?
Do not see the Dometic Blizzard listed on the Rv Air Flow web page?
Am I missing something or is this only accessible if I pull panels and or access from the top??
BRichey

Old 06-02-2023, 12:47 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Do a search on Air Conditioning ducts.
Many threads on improving Airflow due to collapsed duct work.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:34 AM   #3
Reset19
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23160
From the roof, you can remove the plastic outer cover, and the styrofoam inner cover to see the air flow path.
Old 06-03-2023, 07:50 AM   #4
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
You have the “Whisper Quiet” system, just as we do. There is no interior access. It’s challenging to try to improve the air flow the way you might be hoping.

On ours I removed the exterior cover as suggested. Also the foam insert as well as the fan assembly. I could then reach down into the air chamber. First thing I discovered on mine is that it was very well installed with lots of HVAC aluminum tape. I used some more tape to try to smooth out some of the angles to improve air flow but gained minimal improvement.

From the inside you can open the air return vent covers to see how the ducting looks. Many, mine included, are slightly collapsed. Using some 1 1/4” plastic pipe you can wedge pieces in the duct to open it back up. You should also remove every ceiling vent to check the seal from the vent to the duct to make sure all are well sealed and that the vents are not sticking up into the ducts, which reduce air flow. Make sure they are flush to the duct floor. Get a boroscope to check all of the ducts to make sure they are clear. Mine we all nicely open (except the return ducts as I stated)

All of that is about all you can do on our systems. Do you have a 2nd AC in the bedroom? Mine didn’t. Once I had one installed, and having done the other things I mentioned above, we have greatly improved air flow and cooling. With both AC’s running we remain comfortable in hot weather.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote