Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2023, 07:45 AM   #41
cotter key
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10849
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Saw a Ram 3500 dually today, guessing around 2005 model, that was completely rusting out around the fender wells and bottoms of the doors. It had an Illinois license plate. Rarely see anything like that here in TX. Is that common on a truck less than 20 years old in the north country? Not specifically Ram. They have started using a brine solution to pre-treat roads in this area when possible snow/ice is in the forecast and continue when it starts falling. Fortunately only 2-3 times a year. Used sand in the “old days”. Is rusting something we can look forward to in a few years?
Bill, rust is a very big issue in the "snow belt", you are lucky to only have brine a couple time a year. Here in Ohio trucks WAY LESS than twenty years already have cab corners, rockers, and fender wells sometimes GONE. And I'm not even in the snow country of like Mich., or Pa.

cotter key is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 09:52 AM   #42
GetGone
Established Member

M.O.C. #32781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
I’m going to be a contrarian; if your 6.0 has more than 100k miles on it, I would seriously consider trading it in before you have some costly repair bills. The 6.0 is notoriously unreliable. I know someone will chime in with “my six-oh has 900,000 miles and all I ever did was change the oil”, but do your research.
You are correct. The 2005 6.0 was trouble. It left me stranded more than once. Since all the issues were taken care of way back then this truck has been solid. Of course I hated spending all the extra money back then but that's water under the bridge and many miles on the odometer hauling horses all over the USA.
GetGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 02:35 PM   #43
Old_Salty
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12298
We have a 2021 3791RD. I have towed it with a 2018 GM 3500 diesel and now tow with a 2021 Ford F450. The GM 3500 was a SRW and was close to its limits but performed very well. We stumbled onto the Ford while we were exploring purchasing a dually for our long trip to Alaska. The Ford F450 is extremely stable, has a much shorter turning radius and larger brakes than the F350 and GM 3500. The 48 gallon fuel tank was the clincher. I loved my GM but the capabilities of the F450 are awesome. It is a heavy truck and I have yet to find a hill on an interstate (eastern USA) that will cause the transmission to downshift other for the exhaust brake descending. Don't have any experience with Ram but I believe any of the big three dually's will satisfy you.
Old_Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 06:45 AM   #44
ep4me
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #32135
when you a actually compare apples to apples the big 3 are very close to each other there is about 500 lbs difference in towing capacity between them when exact models are compared.

There are differences between them, mpg and ride quality are different, seating is different as well. pick the one you like best and go for it.
ep4me is offline   Reply With Quote