Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2007, 09:02 AM   #1
jsporter008

M.O.C. #6512
Is a Banks Power pack necessary?

Hello everyone,
we are new owners of a 2007 Montana Mountineer 336RLT. We are towing with a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD, Allison transmission, Duramax. My question is this....We are taking it from Florida to Vermont this summer and I'm wondering about towing up and down hills. I've seen posts about being more concerned about going downhill, but I also wondered if my truck will handle going uphill, losing power up the hills. I've been looking at the Banks Power Packs to add some extra hp and wondered if it was not only necessary but worth it.
Any input would be appreciated!!
Thanks
Jim Porter

jsporter008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My Dodge 03 towed fine out in West Virgina/Maryland mountains(I70/I68). I could do 45 mph up all those hills. I have added the Banks kit and now I can pull some hills longer before having to down shift or a little faster if I want to use the fuel. I tow in the nr 3 position which adds 60 horses to the equation. The bottom line is your truck stock is made to pull. If you want to do it with a little more at a good cost then add the BANKS. There are threads about warranty issues and also one about damage to the engine. They all need to be factored into the equation.
My truck is over it's 36K/3 year warranty but not the 100K drive train. I did the upgrade after the 3 years were up.
I hope this helps you make your decision.
Good luck and tow safe.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
You'll do fine with the stock engine, IMO. Had a 2006, and now a 2007. Love the truck!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Jim, NO you do not need any such power pack. It would be one huge waste of hard earned $$$$$$. I have an 05 GMC 2500HD with the D/A combo with less HP than the 06s and I pull my Monty without any problems and most of my traveling has been between Florida and Pennsylvania, Vermont, New York and New Hampshire. Used every north/south/east/west interstate from I 70, I 75, I 79, I 80 I 81, I 84 I 95, etc and many many US and state hiways with not so much of a wimper out of the D/A combo.
This summer I plan on taking the Monty cross country to Oregon and I am not sweating the Rockies at all.

AND besides, you will void your engine and transmission warranties with such a aftermarket add on.

BTW-Everything I just said is fact not opinion.

And now we will allow the nay sayers to voice their opinions.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:21 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Jim, save your money. I pull loads much heavier than any Montana and it does just fine.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:34 PM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
No nays here. Agree with Glenn 100%, (this time).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #7
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Stick with stock. It's got more than you will ever need. In the past, I have used addon's. The Hypertech on my 2003 D/A changed the trucks personality. But with the 2006, I can't tell much difference with or without when towing. With Hypertech, Bubba is a bit quicker when not towing but nothing I can't live without, Forget the Banks -- it's a waste of money.

BTW, We tow a Cambridge at 16,900 pounds gross. We regularily tow the mountains here in AZ, have beena ll over the mountains in California and all over eastern Canada including up and down the length of Newfoundland. We have yet to meet a mountain up or down that gave me the least concern as long as the road was wide enough for us to fit. Bubba has the same engine and drive line as yours. Not to worry.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:28 AM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We were out through Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine with our '04 Chevy 2500HD D/A without any issue. In fact, the Rockies are a much tougher ride, and most places can go 65 even uphill without any modifications. As for downhills, with the Allison transmission in Tow Haul mode, you shouldn't have any problem there either. Again, the Rockies may be an even tougher test and we've had no problems. We have over 70k miles on ours now. Enjoy your trip.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Don't do it...don't need it, you've got all the power you need just the way it is.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
We purchased the Banks Power Pack for our 95 Ford because it did not have an inter cooler. Now we are having an issue with the truck surging (can't use the cruise control). Had it to two Ford dealers and the only thing they can find wrong is the "chip". Take it out and all problems go away. Sent the chip back to Banks and paid them to check it. Reinstalled it and same problems. Banks refuses to help in any way and in fact hung up on me. Not a good company to deal with.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #11
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Your unit is a few hundred pounds heavier than the one we have, and I don't think you'll have any problems pulling it anywhere you want to go. While I don't necessarily agree that a programmer voids your warranty, I know I don't want to be having to hire an attorney and going to court to enforce the warranty.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:32 PM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
NO, but you might want to invest in a "fuzz-buster".
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #13
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Great advice from the crowd.....stay with the stock. I had a Banks in my other Ford, but it was not really worth the costs.

Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 06:06 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I believe the place to go for up-to-date information on the trucks, engines, chip use, etc., is to the individual truck forums, i.e., Ford for Fords, GM for GMs and Dodge for Dodges. I am not downing the discussion or saying it is inappropriate on the Montana Forum. Our tow vehicles are an integral part of the fifth wheel experience. However, the truck/diesel forums are solely focused on the vehicles and their efficient operation where we are (or at least I) am focused on the Montana primarily.

I cannot agree with those who are adamant either way. I do agree that the return for the dollars spent and the risk involvement with Banks is a very questionable investment. I do agree that the trucks are built with sufficient power to do what we ask from them in pulling the Montana. I cannot agree with the catastrophic prognostications of some concerning any use of a chip or other power enhancing device.

Caution should always be used in towing and the operation of TV's. This is so with or without enhancements. My rejection of absolutes does not identify me as a "nay sayer". I am always looking for additional information that may offer opportunities for better outcomes.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #15
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Sorry to resurrect an old topic but we just had a "Bully Dog" chip installed. It's the 6 position adjustable unit and the truck runs great with it on. Don't mean to bad mouth "Banks" but their chip is bad and has been bad for a long time. This is not the first time that we tried to get them to do something about the chip. Maybe by going to their place of business they will treat you better but they wouldn't do anything for me on the phone. We live a long way from California.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
That's what's so great about this forum. Everyone is entitled to state our experiences about a product or dealer without taking offense. Just because you have had no problems with your chip does not mean it has been the same for everyone. I am glad you have had no problems with your chip; but I have, and I have right to post that also. If you feel stating what happened with me is bad mouthing Banks; then I guess no one on this forum has a right to say anything bad about any company for fear of offending someone. Just the way we feel.

End of discussion on our part.

Dennis & Sharon
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #17
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
I have a 2006-3500 srw d/a with the 360 hp also and I would not add anything to it UNLESS I had alot of cash to blow... before the 06 I had a 2003 dually with d/a the 300hp. the 06 with the 60(more) horse engine made alot of difference, the unit wouldn't "lug" where it used to.
I made a couple of trip south from Massachusetts and was very happy with the 06 stock performance.
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
My answer is NO since your driving a Duramax/Allsion. But other brands I can't answer that question. There is no need for any gadgets on the D/A combo. There is plenty of HP and torque. Good Luck... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 02:01 PM   #19
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

My answer is NO since your driving a Duramax/Allsion. But other brands I can't answer that question. There is no need for any gadgets on the D/A combo. There is plenty of HP and torque. Good Luck... GBY.....
Agree.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote