Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
BC Lower mainland owners - help!

I need to obtain my house trailer endorsement before I go pick up my rig in AZ. I am looking to rent a truck & +4,600 5er for the road test. Cant rent one - can't find any with plates till Feb 2012. Training & test with licensed instructor already in place, I just need the rig. Thx

sapest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Is this something that just BC residents have to have, or do rvers
from other Provinces and States have to have when travelling or touring in BC ?
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I would have been glad to help, but moved/retired to Portland, OR in Sept. we were living in Langley.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Dpam
Its a BC resident thing. Trailers over 4600 kg/10000 lb require a license endorsement. No problem for those travelling in/thru the prov.

Grampachet
Thank you for the thought. Enjoy your new home.
-Steve
Old 12-09-2011, 02:59 AM   #5
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Does it have to be B.C. registered?

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Sapest,
The state of California requires an endorsement also. If your trailer is between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds then you must have the Fifth Wheel Recreational Trailer endorsement. On my license it is number 41. It is my experience that very few folks have such endorsement or even know about needing to have it. Fortunately we only need to take a written test. There is no road test required. And unless you are due to renew your license within 6 months there is no cost for the test. All in all it is a very easy process. Your situation obviously is much more involved. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Sapest,
The state of California requires an endorsement also. If your trailer is between 10,001 and 15,000 pounds then you must have the Fifth Wheel Recreational Trailer endorsement. On my license it is number 41. It is my experience that very few folks have such endorsement or even know about needing to have it. Fortunately we only need to take a written test. There is no road test required. And unless you are due to renew your license within 6 months there is no cost for the test. All in all it is a very easy process. Your situation obviously is much more involved. Good luck. Dennis
Thanks for posting about the California endorsement, nobody believes me when I tell them they need it.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Dick
That is a good question & I will find the answer.
Dennis
Thank you. It is more involved, no endorsement, no insurance if things go poorly. Another cost of govt insurance

-Steve
Old 12-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #9
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
I would but I'm down in Calif. already. Is there any chance your instructor can arrange a rig for you?

Just a note since I went through this 5 yrs ago. B.C. does require an endorsement and a lot of people are unaware. The requirement is NOT new.

My understanding is this; if you are travelling in B.C., then B.C. willl honour whatever the requirements are in your province or state. However, should your province or state require some kind of special license or endorsement and you don't have it and you get in an accident or do something stupid that brings you to the the attention of the local authorities then you could be in a lot of trouble, charges and loss of insurance.

I believe the same is true in other jurisdictions. However, i can't speak for all, obviously, it's just what I've run across. Some jurisdictions may not be so friendly.

And DO NOT believe your rv or truck seller. Most of them haven't got a clue and will tell you anything. I found this out myself. i just didn't believe him and he was otherwise a good salesman but not on this point.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
thank you Clarkandsheila
So far the best I can find is getting my heavy trailer endorsement instead. Thats a rig I can rent. The paper test to obtain this endorsement is the same as for a class 3. That means learning enough about air brakes to pass the test! Time to start studying I guess.
-Steve
Old 12-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #11
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rlwhit

Does it have to be B.C. registered?

Dick
Dick
The book says the road test rig has to be "safe & reliable" but nothing about it being licensed elsewhere. I would have to call on Monday to find out. My guess would no.
-Steve
Old 12-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Helmick (and HamRad)... I believe you and I know in California I need the endorsement and you are right. Not even the DMV and CHP people knew what I was talking about when I tried to obtain the information. I now have the information, studied for it, but I keep forgetting to go in and take the test. I just got a renewal and forgot all about getting the RV endorsement!

What I'm really curious about is how many California members that have the higher than 15,001 GVWR Montanas and haven't gone in for the HIGHER endorsement? Unlike those of us in California who only need a multiple choice type test to pass for an RV endorsement if towing a trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs, if you tow higher than 15,000, then you have a higher endorsement to take and pass including a health checkup of some kind.

Sorry I can't help with the BC requirements.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
clarkandsheila
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7994
Sapest.

Yeah, that's too bad. I went for and got the Code 51 on the standard class 5, (permits house trailer any weight W/O air brakes) If you get the Heavy trailer endorsement you will be in good shape. With the code 51, I still had to go for a medical.

Just for info for any other B.C. ers, 4,600kg or 10,141.26 lbs. GROSS weight of the trailer is what counts. Some think its the axle weight only - wrong. It's the trailer GROSS and I don't think there are any Montanas that fit that description. Maybe some of the much older ones that were in the 28' range but all you have to do is look at the rating decals and if it says total loaded weight or GROSS is over those figures, then you need the endorsement.

I expect other jurisdictions are similar, just the details vary.
clarkandsheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #14
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I have the B.C code 051 endorsement and a written, vision and road test was required. Pay a lot of attention to your Pre-trip! Make sure you check the trailer breakaway switch brakes, propane off, etc., etc., etc. It's really no big deal and you should get through it easily if you've towed a large rig before. Watch for playgrounds, school zones and speed!
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #15
sapest
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11886
Moutard2
Thank you for the good wishes.
I have the learners for both Code 51 & Code 20 now. Just have to find one rig or the other & take the road test.
-Steve
Old 12-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #16
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
You don't need code 20 ... it's 051 that is required.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote