Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Bundled and spliced wires

Sometime back I posted that my lights on the entertainment slide out quit working. This was the light on bottom of cabinet and on right sidewall,(12v) After checking all the fuses and breakers and pulling both fixtures apart and finding nothing I went under the slide and started with the capped outlet box. Using a test light I had no 12v power on the underside. I saw where the split housing tube that hold all the electrical wires went into the side panel behind the slide and noticed a big bow in the wires. On the back of the 2005 3400rl behind the slide there is a compartment to house a sewer hose, when looking in this I saw a large clump of black tape. So I had to pull part of the bottom off the get the wires to drop down. What I found is all the wires that come out of the slide, ( TV antanna wire, 120 power for tv etc, 12v wires, any power pertaining to the slide are spliced there and wrapped with electrical tape. This also gets wet and road grime up there and that is where the wires corroded and broke. Needless to say it is now fixed and protected from the elements alot better.

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:37 PM   #2
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
There seem to be very few rules and regulations on the manufacture of our RV's. Its how fast can you get them out the door and hope no one complains. Even then the complaints go on death ears and we still pay their price and keep buying. The quality is going downhill as I can tell the difference from my 2001 2880RL to my new 2010 3000RK.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigred715

There seem to be very few rules and regulations on the manufacture of our RV's. Its how fast can you get them out the door and hope no one complains. Even then the complaints go on death ears and we still pay their price and keep buying. The quality is going downhill as I can tell the difference from my 2001 2880RL to my new 2010 3000RK.
Amen brother!!! I see it also our 2012 can't hold a candle to our 2009. Yes Keystone's getting very complacent with their Montana line, well in my opinion. It may be the best selling but they better start stoking the fire. A lot of people don't do what I do. I am able to inspect almost everything in the unit. I check EVERYTHING. I spend weeks going over everything. So I see what's going on and it's really sad. It's the industry, and we accept it. I'm also guilty because I fix everything I can, why? Because it's hard to find good repair shops.

kevin
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:56 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I had the same problem with my kitchen slide. No one should ever be allowed to use butt splices and then burry them some where. One point to take away is though, every slide has those splices. It is good to locate them before you have problems and fix them.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:25 AM   #5
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Maybe if newer is not better, I'll just keep my '02 as I bought it used and it has very few road miles on it. The previous owner parked it at his lake lot and only put about 1500 miles on it.
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:45 AM   #6
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have to agree with you kjensen. As much as I would love to upgrade my '02 2955RL to something newer I am afraid to actually do it. We do not experience many of the problems I see on the MOC site here and we like it that way. Of course, we don't full time or even long-time in it but we do drag it all over New England and even Newfoundland this summer. As has been mentioned above it is an industry wide problem and I don't think it is a new problem either as new models get created. We have a very old starcraft popup years ago and while on a cross country trip we got to talking to a hauler who had a trailer full of newer Starcraft popups on board his truck. He checked our out and then said "they don't make them like this anymore. Keep it". I really believe that it all comes down to profit and as labor and msnufacturing costs go up then skimping on quality happens to keep the consumers costs down so we'll buy them and profits can still be up.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote