Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2011, 06:33 AM   #1
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Anyone replace their storage door locks?

We have the old round locks that anyone in the campground and who knows how many others share the keys with us. Has anyone replaced them? If so where did you get a set keyed alike? What size are they? And were you happy you did it?

DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I did on my last trailer. Still thinking about in on this one. It has only been 5 year, who knows when I'll get to it on this one.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:05 AM   #3
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
I put combination locks on my doors, bought from Tweetys. All I have to do is remember the combinations.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Do you remember what length they are for the Monty's? Thanks!
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I replaced all of my CH751 keyed locks (except the water fill door and the front leg/rear stabilizer control door) with the round "barrel" keyed locks. I was able to order them all keyed alike. The only "drawback" with this type of lock is that the key remains in the lock when in the unlocked position. I solved this by buying one of those key chains where you can separate it easily (like what is used to leave a key to your car with a valet) and put one key on each end.
Sorry, I can't remember the size or where I got them from except is was online. Here's a link from Tweetys that shows the kind I bought. I believe Tweetys will ensure that what they ship you are all keyed alike .... just call them and ask. http://tweetys.com/ace-key-baggage-locks.aspx
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I've never quite understood why the locks need to be changed. No matter what kind of lock you replace them with, all a person needs to get into the storage areas is a flat blade screwdriver. I think you'll spend money for nothing. All the locks do is keep an honest person honest.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #7
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We also replaced them with the barrel locks for all the hatches. We didn't change the sewer or water doors. We got our locks at Camping World. Yes, anyone can get into them with a scewdriver, but I say even "honest" people could have a quick lapse if they see something they want!! I don't trust anyone. We usually stay at Thousand Trails campgrounds and we are away from really populated areas. We have never had anything taken that was left outside and we probably would not have a problem, but it makes me have more peace of mind. I also always use both locks on the door when we go away for the day. Once again, everyone has that same lock. Even the key for the "deadbolt" lock is a fairly common key.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Boy, I guess CountryGuy and I are either in denial or have been very lucky.

We camp where we want to, but, if the hairs on the back of our neck stand on end, that is not where we want to, so if at all possible we move on.

We have not had one thing stolen, except the 12 pack of beer we left outside at a state park one time a long time ago. Oh, was summer, park was full of teenagers, our bad.

We left stuff behind, was never retrieved, ohhh, that is not stolen.

We tend to leave the cargo bay doors unlocked once we get to camp, on the desert, in private parks, in county parks, in state parks. Nope, never had anything stolen, ya, disclaimer, not YET.

We do lock the door when we leave the campsite, cause I have had someone walk into a unit and steal money, at a club (NOT MOC) campout when we had younger kids. There were no others in that campground besides club members, it was closed to all outsiders.

Truthfully, I am more nervous about leaving the unit parked while we have lunch and are running than I am when we reach a campsite. So, there are times I send CountryGuy for a hamburger and I stay with the rig. Comfort zones, if they don't feel right, pay attention to them, do what feels right.

Tis all about comfort zones, if you feel better changing the locks, then by all means. But, the points of the screwdriver and prying in, and the fact that we are basically lazy if we can be, kept CountryGuy from changing the locks. Oh, and being cheap, no $$ spent, no time spent, so far so good.

Never say never, so disclaimers and "not yets" abound.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I replaced mine with the round barrel locks also, just popped the original out, took it to a locksmith and asked him to do all of them with the same key.
Works super, and you will have plenty of spare keys.
I think it makes sense to change them, as stated, you can't keep them out of they want in, but that wasn't your question, I like the round locks.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Don't remember the length, recon I measured the door and ordered accordingly.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 AM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We just replaced ours with the barrel locks, all keyed the same. They were 1 1/8" in length and we found them at the local RV dealer here in Newport.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
tspoon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8973
I ground down the tooth on the key so I can remove the key when it's unlocked.
tspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

I've never quite understood why the locks need to be changed. No matter what kind of lock you replace them with, all a person needs to get into the storage areas is a flat blade screwdriver. I think you'll spend money for nothing. All the locks do is keep an honest person honest.

Orv
Agree.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #14
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Dick in answer to your question I believe mine were 1 1/4 inch, I will go out and measure them now to be sure* Yup from inside of collar to end of screw is 1 1/4 inches, without screw 1 1/8 inch.I took one of my lock barrels with me to CW and the locksmith. CW had the J236 lock in the size I wanted and the price wasn't too bad, the locksmith on the other hand were out of line. So I got the CW brand. they are not the 751s so that works...
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
I change ours and got replacements at Home Depot. I had to search quite a while until I found enough of the same lock number, but I felt better knowing they are different than most other locks.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #16
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Brilliant! I never would have thought of that! But... which tooth?

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tspoon

I ground down the tooth on the key so I can remove the key when it's unlocked.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
A good perspective!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mrs. CountryGuy

Boy, I guess CountryGuy and I are either in denial or have been very lucky.

We camp where we want to, but, if the hairs on the back of our neck stand on end, that is not where we want to, so if at all possible we move on.

We have not had one thing stolen, except the 12 pack of beer we left outside at a state park one time a long time ago. Oh, was summer, park was full of teenagers, our bad.

We left stuff behind, was never retrieved, ohhh, that is not stolen.

We tend to leave the cargo bay doors unlocked once we get to camp, on the desert, in private parks, in county parks, in state parks. Nope, never had anything stolen, ya, disclaimer, not YET.

We do lock the door when we leave the campsite, cause I have had someone walk into a unit and steal money, at a club (NOT MOC) campout when we had younger kids. There were no others in that campground besides club members, it was closed to all outsiders.

Truthfully, I am more nervous about leaving the unit parked while we have lunch and are running than I am when we reach a campsite. So, there are times I send CountryGuy for a hamburger and I stay with the rig. Comfort zones, if they don't feel right, pay attention to them, do what feels right.

Tis all about comfort zones, if you feel better changing the locks, then by all means. But, the points of the screwdriver and prying in, and the fact that we are basically lazy if we can be, kept CountryGuy from changing the locks. Oh, and being cheap, no $$ spent, no time spent, so far so good.

Never say never, so disclaimers and "not yets" abound.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:34 PM   #18
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Believe it or not..................I rarely ever lock mine, only when I travel to keep water out while traveling.
Maybe I'm lucky, never missed anything!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Yes, you are lucky. I hope you stay lucky.
Having been a victim of crime, I'm not as trusting. The feeling of being violated never quite goes away. For me, any deterrent is a good deterrent.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

Believe it or not..................I rarely ever lock mine, only when I travel to keep water out while traveling.
Maybe I'm lucky, never missed anything!

Roy
Old 10-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #20
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We replaced ours with the barrel locks as well but didn't have to modify the key or the locks. The only reason we changed them was that I was breaking the 751 key after a while when locking or unlocking. We typically leave the locks unlocked when set up in an RV park. We had a locksmith do them all, including water, for about $60.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote