Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
30 amp Fuse Keeps Blowing

Inside the battery compartment at the front of our 2010 Montana High Country there is a 30 amp fuse that keeps blowing on me. It has blown when I have been using the switch to operate the front jacks (twice) and it has blown when I have operated the slide outs using the switch inside the coach. Same fuse each time. Oddly enough, even with the fuse blown I can still operate botht the slides outs and the front jacks using the remote control. The first time this happened was while we were going through the walk through at delivery, but we had almost every thing turned on at the time and it made sense that it might blow at that point so i did not think much of it.

It seems odd that a 30 amp fuse would blow just from operating the jacks using the swich. A 30 amp fuse is pretty big and this occurred with little or nothing else turned on. I assume this is not right. I also wonder why the jacks continue to operate using the remote when the fuse is blown.

Anyone else experience this issue? If so, what is causing it and what is the fix? Obviously, this should be taken care of undedr the warranty, but when I first mentioned it to the maintaince guy at the dealership he suggested just putting in a circuit breaker. That sounds like a dumb idea to me and certainly does not address the issue. I am going to talk to the manager when I call tomorrow.

Drought Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
the remote works off a different wire .this is not that uncommon.thier has been lots of threads about this same topic .after some time these fuses get weak. if there is dirty gears or dry gears for the landing this can put more of a load on the fuse.montana puts the least or cheapest fuse to save money at our expense.i have changed my fuses to 50amp with no problems. has been working with no problems for the last three years.BUT you can just replace with anther 30 amp fuse or whatever you like .there are fuses that will trip and will reset when they cool off.hope this helps you good luck.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 AM   #3
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
Thanks for the thoughts Thor. The trailer is only a few weeks old and we have only had it out twice. Have already blown the same fuse four times, so their cheap fuse was only the issue once. I am also hoping it is not already dirty...causing it to run rough. I think I will do as you suggest and replace the 30 amp with a 50 amp or a circuit breaker. Just seems that using the switches as they are intended to be used should not routinely blow the fuse. I was worried that there was a wiring problem that could indicate a safety issue. After all, the point of the fuse is to have it blow before too much load is put on the wires causeing a fire.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #4
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
This has been a common problem. I would not put a fifty amp fuse in there. I use a thirty amp breaker. If you run the jacks too long, lift up back of pickup or switch from up to down this will blow to original fuse. Good luck.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I wouldn't replace the 30 with a 50amp either. I'm curious why it blows when the slide switch is operated. The slides operate on a circuit with a 50 amp auto reset breaker which is notorious for giving problems. Me thinks something might be wired wrong.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #6
Drought Buster
Established Member

M.O.C. #11394
Nope, its the same 30 amp fuse that blows when operating either the slide or the front landing gear. Interestingly, the cap on the little fuse holder says 15A, but someone crossed that out with a black ink pen and wrote over it 30A. It had a 30 amp fuse when it blew at the dealership and I have replaced it with 30 amp fuses each time it has blown. The only other fuse I can see in the front battery compartment is a 15 amp fuse. Not even sure what that goes to.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You have some problem that puts a load on your landing system. This means you should be looking for a problem. Putting another fuse of higher rating doesn't address the cause, only the symptom. If your rig is new, then dirt and grime is probably not the issue. When I first got my unit, I kept popping fuses. Turned out that the grounding wire was poorly placed and by changing it to a better site, I quit having problems.

Later I added stabilizers similar to the JT type. On occasion, if I forgot to loosen them, I would blow a fuse. The fuse was doing its job, protecting the motor from my error. In any case, something is causing the problem. If it were my rig, I would want to know what is pulling an inordinate load causing the fuse to blow.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote