Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Wheel and tire match-up confusion

Ok, so if I want to switch from the 80R16 and go to the LT235/85R16 on our rig, do I have to switch to the higher pressure wheel and high pressure stems? If so, what size wheel would I look for and where do I look? I know there have been numerous posts on this, but although my wheel is rated for 80#, will it work or do I need the sticker that says it's okay to go over 80#? I'm a bit confused. Thanks, D

Old 04-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Dino, first of all, are you changing to G rated tires or staying with the e's that came on the rig? Also, do you have steel or aluminum wheels? If aluminum, look inside the spokes for the psi rating. Our 2010 has 110 psi rated wheels that are aluminum, not sure the steel ones are.
Put the high psi valve stems in when you change even if not using the higher psi.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is rather confusing, I think to be on the safe side, don't put 110# tires on the TR-6 wheels (the older style) Many have and they probably will be OK, Treadit gave out stickers to the MOC peeps, but later decided that was a mistake. It all had to do with testing of the wheels from the molds used to make the TR-6 wheels that we have on our older Monte's and probably other trailers. They did away with the molds, therefore can't test the TR-6 (older) wheels.
I think a person would probably be OK with 110# tires on the older wheels, but if you want to have the peace of mind that comes with 110# rated wheels, go with the newer style.
I did.
(Talking about aluminum wheels here..)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dino, as Emmel indicated the inside of your rims should indicate PSI rating.

Noticing that you have the same year and model as ours, the rims (inside) have a white sticker that states 3750 lbs @ 110 PSI.

If you indeed have that sticker that should answer your concern. If you do not go to the G rated tire and stay with an E rated tire, 80 PSI for E's are what most of us have on our LT's. The LT235/85R16 is 80 PSI as was the original ST tires that came with the rig. Hope this helps.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
If all you are doing is changing tire size and the load range stays the same, then you don't need to worry about changing pressure. The easiest thing to do is to check the sidewall of the new tire to make sure it shows max pressure is 80 psi. As far as I know, the max on all load range E tires is 80 but maybe there's an exception out there.

The situations you read about here where we talk about whether to change rims is when we go from the 80 psi load range E tire to the 110 psi max load range G tire.

Hope that helps.

As for the TR6 rims, my understanding is if it came from the factory with either 110 psi stamped inside or a sticker inside, then it's fine for 110 psi. But if you got one of the stickers to add to the rim later, then they now are not sure that's a good idea. Sounds like the liability people didn't like them handing out the stickers as they could end up on rims that are not actually capable of handling the pressure. In my opinion, if it did not come from the factory marked with a stamp or sticker for 110 psi, then I wouldn't do it. Mine came with the sticker and have been fine for a year.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #6
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
I checked, I have the UGLY white steel? rims.......stamped 80# on 'em. I just want safety and peace of mind.....so from what I've read it might be that I go with the alum wheels and LT tires @ 110#. If I do go that route, where should I search for the correct size wheels? I don't even know where to start.....but I'm willing!