Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Security Question

I've seen many post about installing different locks, installing alarm systems and camera surveillance systems. What is your biggest security concern, storage or while in campgrounds. Finding out what makes our experienced members nervous will help me determine which direction to go. Thanks.
Mike

pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We find most campgrounds to be safe. We do not leave much out unless it is a visibly locked. That is about it.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I have never had anything stolen or come up missing while at a campground. We had the basement broken into at a mini-storage lot and an attempted break-in at the same lot. We are no longer at out local mini-storage, since we moved to a locked facility with video monitoring and someone who lives within the confines of the storage lot (yes it is weird, there is actually an occupied mobile home in the lot??) we have not had a problem.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bad things can happen at any time and any where. That's why I carry insurance. I try to take reasonable precautions. I thought about alarms and special locks, but decided that if someone wants it, they can get it despite my best efforts. So I am satisfied with trying not to make careless decisions. If something about the place causes me uneasiness, I just move on.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #5
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pineranch

I've seen many post about installing different locks, installing alarm systems and camera surveillance systems. What is your biggest security concern, storage or while in campgrounds. Finding out what makes our experienced members nervous will help me determine which direction to go. Thanks.
Mike
I am kind of in the same place regarding security as you are...weighing my options regarding alarms, locks etc.
As mentioned, if someone wants something BAD enough, they MAY be able to get it anyway but that depends on the effectiveness of your deterrents and the skill/persistance of the bad guys.
I will be taking what I consider to be reasonable and cost effective precautions (as I do in other areas of life ) according to the perceived threat level. Here in So. Cal. that level can be somewhat "elevated" compared to wherever you may live. Of course, insurance is part of that protective umbrella.
My philosophy is along the lines of multiple levels of deterrents i.e. security lites, effective locks, alarms where appropriate and various degrees of personal protection if called for.
Like the old saying "better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"!
Old 04-09-2011, 04:56 PM   #6
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
The one thing that bothers me is that the basement locks on a high percentage of RVs (70%+) all use the same CH751 key. There might as well be no locks on the basement at all. So, I replaced all my basement locks with cylinder locks. Now only I and the lock supplier know the codes for my keys.

A lot of dealers also carry a master key to the door lock (not the deadbolt). That means that a lot of the employees of the dealerships have access to the master keys. That worries me, too. So, next week, when I reach Sacremento, I will have my door lock rekeyed by a locksmith. Just to help control my phobia.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Locks are to keep "honest" people honest. The basement locks are there to keep the doors from flying open going down the road. Anyone can open the doors with a screwdriver faster than you can with your key. Entry doors aren't much better. A good deadbolt on the entry door would probably slow them down a bit.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I changed my hatch locks to the tubular type, if nothing else, it's easier/quicker to use, and more secure. I love the idea of my front camera, as when we were traveling, that always bothered me, not being able to see in front. Usually the Truck is up there also.
After we camp for a while and I meet the neighbors, it becomes quickly apparent to them I am crazy, so they don't become a security problem....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:54 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The CH751 lock can be opened with a two pronged paper fastener (ECHO brand or similar) by bending the fastener in half, then putting it in the lock, take a little pressure off and wiggling it back and forth. The mechanism in the lock will eventually just fall into position and unlock. There has to be no pressure on the locking mechanism for this to work. I have opened many locks of this kind with this procedure. It doesn't matter if it is a 751 or another model number of the same design. Sorry to bust anyone's security bubble.

As stated, a screw driver will get into any basement, and most entry doors. And if a screw driver does not work, one of those flat edged nail pullers will. The damages is sometimes more than what they can steal.

Now if you are of the mind that you can "reduce" the thieving, then the only thing I find would be necessary is loud noises and bright lights. Motion detectors for outside lights would be one. A motion detector alarm hooked up to the electrical system with a piercing alarm and bright lights would be another. Remember to get an alarm that will deactivate itself after a short period of time. Neighbors will be appreciative.

A trained dog that will bark at "unusual" noises, like breaking in is a deterrent for the inside, but not the outside. The better equipped and knowledgeable thieves can break into an area and have a lot of "stuff" in an extremely short period of time. Achieving piece of mind is probably the only benefit to an alarm system.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:24 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The major problem with storage doors on our rigs is that no matter what you spend for new locks, entrance can be gained through them using nothing more than a screwdriver and prying them open. All the locks do is keep honest people honest. I cable lock my surge guard and/or my autotransformer but even then, if a thief wants them, he/she will get them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Storage lots are IMO the greatest risk. Otherwise you can break into these things with a nail file.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 04:31 AM   #12
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Like others, we feel pretty secure when we have our Montana on the road and at parks. Our biggest security concern is when the unit is in storage and out of our sight. We have located a storage facility that has good security (cameras, controlled access, roving dogs, and operator lives on site)...as long as we are able to return, we feel good about the security we now enjoy; however, if that storage site does not have any sites available when we return from our trip, then we will start worrying again.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Thanks all, I figured the storage areas would be the major concern. I am fortunate not to have that problem. My lot is guarded around the clock by the best Special Operations Security Forces in the Air Force with an AC-130 gunship flying overhead 5 days a week rocking us to sleep with 20mm, 40mm and 105mm gunfire.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice post Wayne.. I have opened folks compartment doors with a paper clip, not to mention other things, and we get some very strange looks. IMO a good noise source and lights are a good deterrent.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #15
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
I agree that securely locking the compartment doors would require some creative modifications...of course it might be easier to put a contact switch for an alarm on them. Either motion lights or lights that come on with the alarm activation would be good too.
I'm also not too worried about campsite problems, but unfortunately I have to store my trailer in a storage lot and the neighborhood around me is not all that "wholesome"!
Old 04-10-2011, 12:14 PM   #16
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
Our Montana was broken into at the dealer's lot during warranty repairs. They stole the LCD television but did much more damage to a window and the entry door, just to get in. Will not leave at a dealer lot again. Or, I will stay with the trailer.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I take several "precautions" while I'm on the road and camping and feel they are sufficient. I'm big on personal safety and situational awareness. I've never had a problem in campsites. Many, many good people frequent those places. I believe my Monty is at greatest risk in the storage lot. I am fortunate to live within 1 mile of where it is stored and the lot has security cameras, coded access and concertina topped 10 ft high fencing. I also make it a habit to frequently visit my Monty at varying times of day/evening. I also changed all my access doors where there was a CH751 lock to a barrel lock. It makes it a "little" more secure.
Of course nothing is foolproof. I do like the suggested Marine security system that was discussed on this forum and will be looking into it further.
I had over $1000 worth of tools stolen from my front yard this past summer and I can tell you that I felt violated and angry. Having things stolen from you that you worked so hard to get leaves you with a sense of vulnerability. I have taken that feeling and turned it into a personal commitment to reduce the possibility of it happening again. Thanks to all who have offered their tips for increasing Monty security!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:07 AM   #18
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
With all the basement keys being the same, has anyone thought about the laundry shoot?

If someone get into the basement, all they have to do is push up the hatch, and they are inside the coach.

I am thinking about getting some hasp locks and installing them so the turn buckle will be inside under the hatch.

Something like this

oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 AM   #19
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Tom, in our 2955 we can open the bathroom door and it covers the laundry hatch making it difficult to enter into the rig in that manner. Not sure this kind of thing works in other floor plans.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #20
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

I also changed all my access doors where there was a CH751 lock to a barrel lock. It makes it a "little" more secure.
Of course nothing is foolproof. I do like the suggested Marine security system that was discussed on this forum and will be looking into it further.
I too live close to the RV storage lot, and make semi frequent visits to mine but sure would feel better with some more "protection".
What is a "barrel lock" and where did you get them? You're saying that they offer a bit more security than the stock locks or just that they have a different key? Looking at another alarm system today...I will share what I find out.
Thanks!